WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping Bag Ideas???

I am planning a thru-hike for May 2012, any advice on a bag?? I've heard good things about WM...

I go down and like the montbell ulss not much heavier than WM but much roomier. Are you looking for one bag for the whole trip? I would personally go with a 30degree and have down jacket,pants, and booties available to stretch it toward the end. I sleep warm however and many folks prefer a lower rated bag (15?) depending how far you go into the fall.

I used a 30 degree down bag (Marmot). One night it was in the 20's and I used my beanie and jacket. Ground insulation is important so choose a pad that gives some insulation. I used a automobile sunscreen for insulation on my Big Agnes air mattress, worked fine.

Images

Starting in Georgia? A decent 30-F bag should be fine if you are a fast hiker and can finish before it gets too cold in Maine. WM, Montbell, Feathered Friends, Marmot, and others make good bags. Find one that fits well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by wsuhoops View Post
    I am planning a thru-hike for May 2012, any advice on a bag?? I've heard good things about WM...
    I can't see how you can go far wrong with WM. The Highlite weighs a pound rated 35 F.

I used a Mountain Hardware Phantom 32. Weighs less than 2 lbs but is rated to 32 degrees. Ship it away when it gets warm...get it back before the White Mtns.

Garlic
    Images

All good advice above. (I think everyone's assuming a NOBO.) I'd even consider a 30F down quilt for that hike. I just ordered one for a summer bicycle tour.

Since you're starting that late, I also assume you're planning a pretty fast pace and don't plan on hiking in New England in November? If that happens, you can always get another bag, or by then you'll be pretty confident in whatever you're carrying.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Western Mountaineering--for me the absolute standard. I have a Kodiak (0-D) and a Tamarak (32 D), getting an Alpinlite for the CT this summer, It is a bag for life.

Yes thank you guys, I am a NOBO. Thanks for your great ideas and support.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Check the WM specs, they make different models with the same temp rating for different shoulder girths. Or get a quilt.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Feathered Friends equipment is on a par with Western Mountaineering, and just as pricey. I have two of their bags - a Great Auk overbag and a Rock Wren inner bag with foot and arm holes.

I also have a Montbell ULAP liner bag, and a Golite Feather-Lite zipperless bag. All are well made.

The Golite bag is in my avatar and I use the Montbell bag inside it in cold weather (or alone in the summer). My son currently has the Rock Wren, and my wife uses the Great Auk because she sleeps cold.
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-16-2012 at 16:40.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by gopher View Post
    I used a 30 degree down bag (Marmot). One night it was in the 20's and I used my beanie and jacket. Ground insulation is important so choose a pad that gives some insulation. I used a automobile sunscreen for insulation on my Big Agnes air mattress, worked fine.
    look what on sale at REI!

http://www.rei.com/product/762525/ma...0-sleeping-bag

bag.jpg
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Images

why such a late start?
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Quote Originally Posted by tuswm View Post
    why such a late start?
    Probably doesn't want to miss any good tornadoes (check OP's location).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

macpac is awsome water proof plus warm and light

Images

Quote Originally Posted by pepkbell View Post
    macpac is awsome water proof plus warm and light
    $600+ USD for a 30°F rated, 2lb bag? Overpriced IMO and more so given paying shipping from NZ. Looks high quality, but a bit heavy and expensive compared to similar WM, FF, and Montbell products..

WM for me all the way. I got one from a local online shop and it came with a granite gear event compression sack. They are the best bags in my mind.

++ New Posts ++