WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Who makes down bags from scratch?

I need a 850 down bag to fit my big body. I am 5'10 280 lbs need at least 78inch shoulder girth and 65 hip girth... I want it to be rated 30-40 degree?

any suggestions

http://warmlite.com/products-page/sleeping-bags I had one of these for about 12 years. A little heavy with all the extra fabric and fill necessary for big people, but the design is second-to-none. Personally, I would've liked it if the thin top didn't have a vapor barrier built in.
    The down air mat is fantastic.

Tell them that you would like the bag with only one top and they may do that for you. I used mine in winter conditions in the White Mountains (-20F) when I was younger and never got cold inside the bag.

Check out the hood design, side sleepers!

Sewn by hand in New Hampshire.
    Last edited by Tinker; 02-17-2012 at 23:08.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Try Zpacks.

If you can convert to a quilt, there are a couple other folks that will do it for you.

Registered User SawnieRobertson's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Go to www.nunatakusa.com for an exactly to your specifications down bag. If I have got the address wrong, google RAKU.--Kinnickinic
    You never know just what you can do until you realize you absolutely have to do it.
    --Salaun

Images

www.hammockgear.com makes great top quilts and can accomodate your order if you are looking for a quilt

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Raul Perez View Post
    www.hammockgear.com makes great top quilts and can accomodate your order if you are looking for a quilt
    I'll second that emotion. I've got 4 of his quilts (2 top quilts, 2 underquilts) and love them! They do great work, will work with you on custom orders and are great people to deal with.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I'll second that emotion. I've got 4 of his quilts (2 top quilts, 2 underquilts) and love them! They do great work, will work with you on custom orders and are great people to deal with.

I third that great product and great service.
    Hammockgear is not just for us hangers
    Lead, Follow, or get out of the way. I'm goin hikin.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    http://warmlite.com/products-page/sleeping-bags I had one of these for about 12 years. A little heavy with all the extra fabric and fill necessary for big people, but the design is second-to-none. Personally, I would've liked it if the thin top didn't have a vapor barrier built in.
    The down air mat is fantastic.
    Yea he's apparently lost his mind... $750.00 SMDH

Images

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    Custom made stuff is expensive. especially when you spec 850 fill power down and fabrics like pertex, etc.. You could go with a good semi-rectangular down bag rated 30 to 40°F and use it as a quilt. Keep the toe box area zipped about a foot or so to keep the feet and lower legs warm and leave the rest unzipped. Just be sure to have a good full-length wide (25") pad underneath (like a Neoair large) and you'll be fine. Even so though, you're looking at $400 - $500 for a bag with 850 fill power down and a large inflatable pad. You could go a bit cheaper by going to 700 or even 600 fill power down. Cheapest way out? Get a Campmor 20°F bag for $120, use it as a quilt, and get a 26" wide Wallyworld blue pad for $5-$10.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by goody5534 View Post
    Worth it for extreme conditions. It is way more than anyone would need for the AT unless the hike was in the dead of winter. Great engineering, however.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

++ New Posts ++