WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Buttermilk falls nj nb

Can anyone tell me what the scoop is with the camp site right next to the butter milk falls trail? Is it a paid site shelter field? Are there bear boxes?
    The trail, book really, doesn't say much about it..

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I camped there last year on my thru-hike. No fees, no bear boxes, no nothing, just several places to set up a tent.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Nice thanks for the response..
    Can you remember how the terrain was from the mohican center up to the falls? I see a couple of ups and downs but nothing too drastic...

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

that section of trail is pretty easy. its mostly a flat ridge walk with a few small dips to go through. the campsite is pretty good too. never stayed there, but ive walked by it plenty of times
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Right on hambone! That's what I thought... I'm doing dunnfield creek to the falls this coming weekend...

Default Buttermilk Falls

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie2nd View Post
    Nice thanks for the response..
    Can you remember how the terrain was from the mohican center up to the falls? I see a couple of ups and downs but nothing too drastic...
    The Falls are way bellow the Ridge so you will eventually be descending very rugged terrain to them if you are coming from the mohican. There is a large parking area directly on mountain road at the base of the falls. Check for road closures, as some local roads are still damaged from Irene.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I didn't go down to the falls from the AT, it was almost dark when I stopped for the night and I left early the next morning. The life of a thru-hiker. I do recall heading north just before the falls trail there was, what I would call a ledge climb, straight up about 30'. I remember a section hiker in front of me complaining all the way up about how this isn't hiking and the trail shouldn't go over stuff like this. He obviously had never hiked in NH and ME!
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Yeah I saw the decent for the falls somewheres around 600 foot..
    @ don
    Yeah that guy should try out the devils path in the catskills.. That place has some crazy gnar! I've never seen NH ME so I couldn't relate..

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    I didn't go down to the falls from the AT, it was almost dark when I stopped for the night and I left early the next morning. The life of a thru-hiker. I do recall heading north just before the falls trail there was, what I would call a ledge climb, straight up about 30'. I remember a section hiker in front of me complaining all the way up about how this isn't hiking and the trail shouldn't go over stuff like this. He obviously had never hiked in NH and ME!

i may be going prematurely senile but i've hiked out there a bunch and dont recall anything like that on the AT anywhere in NJ. on several the sidetrails, sure, but i cant think of anything 30 feet straight up anywhere on the AT anywhere in NJ.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

You're too young to be senile, I on the other hand suffer from CRS
    This was on the AT not a side trail, just south of the Buttermilk Falls trail intersection with the AT. Hey maybe it was only a 20 foot ledge. Climbed up it and then it was a nice walk to the trail intersection. Did it on 6/11/11. Camped that night along with a scout troop from Frenchtown, NJ.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Well I'll let you guys know cause I'll be there this weekend : )

My favorite part of NJ.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    You're too young to be senile, I on the other hand suffer from CRS
    This was on the AT not a side trail, just south of the Buttermilk Falls trail intersection with the AT. Hey maybe it was only a 20 foot ledge. Climbed up it and then it was a nice walk to the trail intersection. Did it on 6/11/11. Camped that night along with a scout troop from Frenchtown, NJ.
    the difference might be in the concept of straight up. south kinsman mountain is straight up, mahoosuc arm is straight up. the north side oc CT's bear mtn is straight up. nj isnt straight up. if you just more generally mean a steep rough footed ascent on bare rock, possibly, but using hands and feet to gain 20 vertifcal feet? naaah. maybe 10.

That is my neck of the woods. I am pretty sure all the dirt roads are opened now. They were closed for a while , However you can not get to Crater lake by car right now that is closed for both storm damage and winter closure. The "30 footer" is more like 20 and is a rock scramble (escarpment) nearly vertical but not a big deal at all. The weather right now sucks with a low of 24 for tonight and crazy winds gusting to 45mph. Wolfie2nd is probably a little cursing the wind right now.

ain' nuthin' butta' peanut hambone5126's Avatar
    Images

that one "vertical" section is closer to highpoint than it is to the falls. its just that one bit and isnt bad.

Rusty: i bet youre right about him cursing the wind. this little breeze is gonna come right from the west and hit the ridge hes on the whole way.
    It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
    -Sir Edmund Hillary

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfie2nd View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the scoop is with the camp site right next to the butter milk falls trail? Is it a paid site shelter field? Are there bear boxes?
    The trail, book really, doesn't say much about it..
    From the NPS:

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2at.pdf

There are 3-4 undeveloped "stealth" campsites just north of the Buttermilk falls cutoff. All are suitable for tents or hammocks, but are close to the trail. All are in a 50 yard segment just after a sharp left turn for NOBOs. No bear boxes and no water. Top off at Long Pine Pond after crossing Blue Mountain Lakes Rd. Water crosses the trail from a smaller feeder pond above the trail.

After crossing water, the trail opens up and is really nice. There is a short vertical section just before making a right turn towards Crater Lake. (There is a larger vertical wall in High Point SP just before making a right turn and passing above Rutherford Shelter.)

This TrailJournal entry describes the territory between Mohican and Buttermilk Falls as I hammocked in that area. I used an UrSack which I tied around a tree just down the trail.

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=345664

There water halfway between Buttermilk Falls and Brink Road shelter as well as at Brink Road shelter.
    Appalachian Trail Online Course
    http://at-trail.blogspot.com
    Information and resources for the A.T. hiker

Follow @section_hiking on Twitter
    http://Twitter.com/Section_Hiking

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
    That is my neck of the woods. I am pretty sure all the dirt roads are opened now. They were closed for a while , However you can not get to Crater lake by car right now that is closed for both storm damage and winter closure. The "30 footer" is more like 20 and is a rock scramble (escarpment) nearly vertical but not a big deal at all. The weather right now sucks with a low of 24 for tonight and crazy winds gusting to 45mph. Wolfie2nd is probably a little cursing the wind right now.
    I wound up having to bail @ mohican center....:-( the wind was too much on my pup.. So we got a 4 mile round trip copper mine and back up copper mine...she was fine while walking but when we stopped for a hot cup a joe she got a bad case of the chills even with a fleece and ground pad... So I made her a beef broth and we turned around and bagged it.. My friends that continued on had a great time. Her next trial for an overnight will be in april.Thanks for all the great advice guys
    Attached Images Attached Images

As you can see she is not a happy pup!
    This was her coldest hike I've had her on.. I was lucky with all the super mild weather we've had in the past months
    Oh well try it again when weather is more stable

Quote Originally Posted by NJAquaman View Post
    The Falls are way bellow the Ridge so you will eventually be descending very rugged terrain to them if you are coming from the mohican. There is a large parking area directly on mountain road at the base of the falls. Check for road closures, as some local roads are still damaged from Irene.
    FWIW, I was unable to locate the parking area at the base of the falls yesterday. Heading north on Old Mine Road, I took a right onto Mountain Road next to a sign indicating the way to Buttermilk Falls. The road had some ginormous craters that almost swallowed my car (should have been a sign for me to turn around) and after about 1/2 mile it ended at a closed gate. I think there might be another way to get to the base of the falls from the other direction but didn't feel like chancing it.

++ New Posts ++