WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Thru-Hikers' Companion and/or Data Book

Hello friends, getting ready to hit the trail in 4 days and was wondering if there was any reason to bring the Date Book and the Thru-Hikers' Companion. It seems that the Companion Book has the same point to point mileage information and of course much more information about each individual town/gap/shelter/mountain. I have separated the Companion into 13 parts to reduce weight and would like to ditch the Data Book altogether unless you feel it has some useful information not contained in the Companion Book. Thanks everyone!

I was wondering the same actually. I'm going SOBO so would it be better to just make a few notes in the Data Book since it is much lighter? I have a few months til I head out so it might even help keep me busy!
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

The Companion is all you need. You haven't needed to carry both the Data Book and a Handbook since about 1995ish when Wingfoot added the Data Book info (with approval of the ATC) to his Thru Hiker Handbook. Seems funny now to think back and remember how all the WF haters were up in arms about the merging of the 2 books into one.

Derek, you'll want the Companion.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You haven't needed to carry both the Data Book and a Handbook since about 1995ish when Wingfoot added the Data Book info (with approval of the ATC) to his Thru Hiker Handbook.
    2003. I don't know where in the world 1995 came from -- I wasn't even on the internet then!

Seems logical, thanks Been in lite-hike mode lately, but I guess this is something I shouldn't skimp on.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Working on Forestry Grad schol

the companion should be sufficient.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Also, you can download and print the pages from the Companion you need for each section and mail it to yourself along the way.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I really prefer the Companion - the Data Book does have most of what you need but it is somewhat limited - it's good for me to know things like when a shelter was built and how many it sleeps and the other little narratives about the area that the Data Book lacks. I would suggest purchasing the Companion and then TEARING it carefully into about 4-5 pieces to keep the weight down (i.e PA sections are not needed while hiking in GA, but you very well might want to look over TN and Southern VA). Mail drop yourself a new section every month or so at least 50-100 miles in advance (which might be all the mail drops you need anyway). Drop the sections you are done with in a hiker box for folks going the other way.

Companion, you can take all the notes you want into the data book, but once you start hiking all of your carefully laid plans change. It would be better to have that extra information so you can adapt your plan.

To quote from GI Joe "Knowing is half the battle"
    Why am I a wizard?? Thats simple...I am where the trail magic is...

++ New Posts ++