WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Va trail section with Scouts looking for information please?

Hey everyone. I need some trail info. My Son’s Scout troop that I am an ASM for are planning a trip to backpack a section of the AT. We are planning a 20 mile hike in VA. Here is the info that was passed on to me.

TO TRAILHEAD: Start: From W. Laurel Ave. and S. Shady Ave. in Damascus, VA, head west on W. Laurel Ave. for 150 feet to trail crossing.

End: From Big Hill, VA, head west on Jeb Stuart Hwy./US 58 for 1.1 miles to trail crossing.

Now my question to thoughts that have been through here. How would you rate the difficulty of this section for Scouts 12 to 16? And do you think this is the best section to take them? They are so looking forward to doing this. Any input to help with planning would be greatly welcomed and aspirated. This will be my first trip on the AT and I am so excited that I will get to experience it with my Son (Littlebogg)

Bigbogg

My information shows only about 16.9 miles on the trail, Damascus to Summit Cut Va. U.S. 58., a couple of shelters, Saunders Shelter and Lost Mtn Shelter, plenty of water. A 1,500 ft climb out of Damascus. After watchin' several bunches of scouts, the kids have a great time, the scoutmasters not so much. One long day, two easy days.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You miss the best part, Grayson Highlands though! I'd do that section instead. Much more interesting and fun for them.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    You miss the best part, Grayson Highlands though! I'd do that section instead. Much more interesting and fun for them.
    I agree.....

Images

I agree. Grayson Higlands & Mt Rodgers area. Pick up TI/ Nat Geo Map #786 Mt Rodgers. Pleanty of oportunities for a loop hikes. Mt Rodgers the High Point of VA. Ferral Ponies roaming around.

++ New Posts ++