WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting from DIA to Waterton Canyon

All,
    Did just look at the Denver RTA site trying to figure out how to get to the trailhead in Waterton Canyon from DIA. Can anyone help me through this maze and suggest the best way? My apologies if this has already been addressed in a previous thread but my search of past threads came up empty. We have a small group of between 3-5 leaving on or about 15 July 2014.
    Thanks for your help and patience,
    Lonestar

Sorry all, just found the travel information on the end to end guide posted on this very same Web site:

Yogi's guide recommends the call and ride service to get from the light rail to the Lockheed Martin facility which is very close to the trailhead.

http://www.rtd-denver.com/callNRide.shtml
    HST/JMT August 2016
    TMB/Alps Sept 2015
    PCT Mile 0-857 - Apr/May 2015
    Foothills Trail Feb 2015
    Colorado Trail Aug 2014
    AT: Rockfish Gap to Boiling Springs 2014
    John Muir Trail Aug/Sept 2013

I recall that just within the last day or two, Colorado Rob here on WB offered to shuttle, if he's available when you need it.

Here's what he said:

Holler if you need a free ride from the Denver lightrail to the waterton trailhead! I live very close to the Littleton station and Waterton. (take a "skyride" bus from the Denver airport to a light rail station, then take light trail to the Littleton station, the southern terminus of light rail on the west side of town). This offer is good for anyone, of course.
    Last edited by Cookerhiker; 10-24-2013 at 17:20.

If you want no need to take a taxi. A RTD(Denver Transit) bus can basically get you to the Waterton Canyon TH which is practically adjacent to Lockeed Martin. Look at what RH posted. This public transportation option info is described in greater detail in the CT website as well as their CT Guide. Mag's CT End to Enders info, if I recall, correctly offers two public bus transportation options. These assets also describe some ways to get from the Denver AP to the Waterton Canyon TH. Others will be chiming in with more info about getting to this TH shortly. You have options.

All,
    Thank you for the very helpful information and for responding so quickly.
    Lonestar

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Colorado Rob is here on WB frequently and knows the area well. Definitely ping him.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I too am considering hiking this trail next year. This info will be helpful. I hope the public transportation will get me close enough to an outdoor store (REI?) to pick up fuel. I'll have to research it further.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    I too am considering hiking this trail next year. This info will be helpful. I hope the public transportation will get me close enough to an outdoor store (REI?) to pick up fuel. I'll have to research it further.
    I looked into the REI situation. Appears that the downtown REI on Platt street is easy walking distance from downtown Denver. I plan to stay a night or two in Denver before starting the trip.

BTW, does anyone have recommendations for lodging in Denver? Typically I try lowball bids on Priceline when visiting a big city with known dates. I've been able to get good rooms for very little in many cities. But I ran across the Melbourne Hostel website and may give it a try: http://www.denverhostel.com/ But it has somewhat mixed reviews on yelp and tripadvisor.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    This exact concern was discussed here recently(in the last 4 months) when Handlebar(a WB User) was hiking. Here's the thread. On it you'll also find info about getting to Waterton Canyon which was the main topic. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...t=#post1479705

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post
    I looked into the REI situation. Appears that the downtown REI on Platt street is easy walking distance from downtown Denver. I plan to stay a night or two in Denver before starting the trip.

BTW, does anyone have recommendations for lodging in Denver? Typically I try lowball bids on Priceline when visiting a big city with known dates. I've been able to get good rooms for very little in many cities. But I ran across the Melbourne Hostel website and may give it a try: http://www.denverhostel.com/But it has somewhat mixed reviews on yelp and tripadvisor.
    First, I'm not into regularly paying for high end fancy five star accommodations when on a long distance hike. I've stayed at the Melbourne twice the last being almost 3 yrs ago. Cheapest priced Hostel in Denver I know of(other than my various hiking and outdoors friend's homes who now live there). It is as advertised both a lower cost hotel and hostel. Good location for walking to the Greyhound Station and catching DOG and RTD buses around Denver. I walked to the Melbourne once and took a bus or another light rail trolley from the Mineral Littleton light rail station. The bus or other light rail trolley is caught right there at the light rail station that takes you 1 blk from the Hostel if you so choose to do that. The walk is pretty short though between the Littleton Stat and the Melbourne. Oldish city Hostel and hotel in a non high rise neighborhood. Certainly nothing fancy but does the job nicely if just desiring a simple economically priced OK clean dated obviously well used single room or bed in a bunkroom for a couple of nights. I think Lint(a long distance hiker who I think did the Triple Crown) was staying there the first time I stayed at the Melbourne. If you know him and his lifestyle there you go. Seemed secure enough for my liking. Front door locks. People were not going in/out all night. If I recall correctly the separate door to the bunkroom I stayed in both times required a separate key. I left my pack in the bunkroom as I went around Denver. No problema. I think I recall lockers and simple community kitchen privledges. Quite a few of the people staying there were Europeans or foreigners. Didn't seem to be in a high crime or druggie area or the place was overrun by losers, down and outers, criminals, druggies, or alchy tenants. Grocery store nearby. Again, it's been almost 3 yrs since I was there last. It would be a good walk to the REI from the Melbourne, probably about 1.5 miles on nice city streets(I don't think one would easily get mugged) but again it's easy to get to REI by buses/light rail. BIG REI in nice setting on the Platte River and park w/ paved walking/bicycle trails. Must note in the REI area is another gear store(Wilderness something?), GoLite Outlet, and HealthFood Store. I swear I should write for Fodors.

Thanks for the comments on the Melbourne. It seems good enough based on the website but good to hear that you can vouch for it.

Priceline can occasionally provide great deals on 3 star or even 4 star hotels in big cities. Back during the worst of the recession I could even get rooms in New York City in the $75 range. Not so much anymore, and of course even that is a good bit more than staying at a hostel.

BTW, like the choice and chronological order of trails you're doing JMT and then CT. Those two in back to back yrs is making me trail jonesing for another round of hiking. Heart's a beating fast, minds a racing, and I can feel the tug of another long distance mountainous hike gelling deep in my hiking loving soul.

Images

Yep, if I'm available that day (check in advance, of course, and I'd commit), I can definitely give anyone a ride from Littleton station to Waterton, we can even stop at an REI (the Lakewood store, Wadsworth and Belleview). Does that RTD bus still go to Lockheed? For some reason I thought it stopped running due to lack of ridership. It is only 3/4 mile from the Guard gate at Lockheed to Waterton canyon (I worked at Lockheed for 27 years, and used to run Waterton canyon at lunch).

I believe the bus to Lockheed (near Waterton Canyon TH) is no longer. It was an express bus, in the morning, but I think it was eliminated about 2 years ago.

Calooorado Rob, to the rescue. That's putting the Color into Colorado Rob. I don't care what anyone says about you Rob you're OK in my book. Dancin bananas for CR. Tip my hat to Magalicious too.

Rob - I may give you a holler on down the road. Still planning away.

Quote Originally Posted by RamblingHiker View Post

BTW, does anyone have recommendations for lodging in Denver? Typically I try lowball bids on Priceline when visiting a big city with known dates. I've been able to get good rooms for very little in many cities. But I ran across the Melbourne Hostel website and may give it a try: http://www.denverhostel.com/ But it has somewhat mixed reviews on yelp and tripadvisor.

Personally, I stayed at the Denver Tech Centre which is southeast of downtown on the transit line. It cost about $50-60 for a mediocre motel room but I did not feel insecure in the neighbourhood. There was a King Soopers grocery store in the area, so that worked well. And when it was time to go the the Mineral transit station, it was very easy since my motel was close to the trainline.\

For those who have never been there, the Denver REI is amazing. It's about the largest gear store that I've ever seen. If people are spending a day or two to get acclimated to the altitude, the REI is a must do (and it's location in LODO is handy to the downtown).

As I said before there are options in getting to the Waterton Canyon TH. And, even if the Lockheed Martin bus route or stop is no longer in service/available, even though I am certainly no expert on RTD, I think there is another RTD bus stop(route) that gets you near(but not as near as the Lockheed Martin stop) that's still available. This MAY require a longer walk(shortish walk though) to the WC TH though. But hey if you have to or so choose to get to the WC TH(MOSTLY) by public transportation it is still an option. Do your own homework in checking this out though. I wouldn't be surprised to see this question arise again. I also haven't checked into the CT website or latest CT Guidebook or been reading CT forums lately to see what's available with public transportation. Just my 2 cts in trying to be of some assistance.

Quote Originally Posted by StubbleJumper View Post
    For those who have never been there, the Denver REI is amazing. It's about the largest gear store that I've ever seen. If people are spending a day or two to get acclimated to the altitude, the REI is a must do (and it's location in LODO is handy to the downtown).
    I like sitting outside on the comfy deck on the cleaned up Platte river when the REI water feature is running amongst the outdoorsy fit Denverites sipping my cup of Starbucks(located inside the REI) considering my new gear purchased inside REI as I'm acclimatizing for a hike. When they have the climbing wall open all the better. I've even been lent a kayak to run the course right there on the river by a cordial nice outdoorsy Denverite. Great REI and Denver atmosphere. Denver is(and has been) doing some very good things. Outdoorsy city. Lots to offer. Downtown Library is awesomely huge. I always make time when in Mile High to visit the Denver Botanical Gardens as well. I've been fortunate to have AWESOME friends that live a few blks from the REI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++