WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default sleep with food?

I've heard that some people on the trail sleep with their food in their tent. Why? Fear of theft? No fear of bears? I would like to hear some pros and cons. Thanks.

no fear of bears and i like to snack. never had mice or any other critter chew thru the tent

Images

I have a hole in a mesh pocket where a mouse chewed thru to get a snickers bar that was left in there inadvertently. If food is left open it will attract ants. More concerned with little critters than I am about bears.

I sleep with my food most of the time on the AT. I am convinced that my food is more of a risk of being stolen from hanging than just about anything else. IMO, poor hanging (even some cables) kills bears, sleeping with my food does not. There are enough AT veterans that have slept with their food for years and years, without incident, that I am convinced.

The type of bears on the AT seem to respect possession. As long as you are in possession they will leave you alone. You separate yourself from your food and it is fair game.

That said, there will be the rogue bear that will come into a tent. Someone will then find an old candy wrapper in the tent and blame the event on that. I just disagree.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

This has been confusing for me. I did my first AT hike for 6 days just before thanksgiving. I went from springer to gooch and back. I probably met 8-9 thru hikers and not one of them hung their food. In fact the first guy was at Stover and he said he wouldnt consider it. So I never did. I did keep mine in a Hunter Specialties odor proof bag (used for hunting).
    The next time I go I'm going to vacuum seal each individual meal or snack and keep those in in an Opsak then put the Opsack in my Hunter Specialties bag.
    If that doesnt work then the bear can have it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I sleep with my food most of the time on the AT. I am convinced that my food is more of a risk of being stolen from hanging than just about anything else. IMO, poor hanging (even some cables) kills bears, sleeping with my food does not. There are enough AT veterans that have slept with their food for years and years, without incident, that I am convinced.

The type of bears on the AT seem to respect possession. As long as you are in possession they will leave you alone. You separate yourself from your food and it is fair game.

That said, there will be the rogue bear that will come into a tent. Someone will then find an old candy wrapper in the tent and blame the event on that. I just disagree.
    Well said...+1....

Images

A few years ago I met a group of about 12 hikers at Spring Mtn. shelter.They put about 6 backpacks on 1 bear cable.Great way to tear-up the cables.Then I met 2 day hikers and one pointed to the bear cables and said "That's where you put your trash".....IMO some people should find another hobby....

I've been wondering about how to handle the issue of bears from Jarrod to Blood Mountain and the bear canister requirement. If you have the bear canister, do you think it would be safe to sleep with food in a tent in that area? Also, what about backpack in the tent?

Images

i sleep with my food, unless theres a bearbox at the site.mice are much more likely to try to get into your tent than bears.

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    I've been wondering about how to handle the issue of bears from Jarrod to Blood Mountain and the bear canister requirement. If you have the bear canister, do you think it would be safe to sleep with food in a tent in that area? Also, what about backpack in the tent?
    If I had a bear canister why would I WANT it in my tent? I'd move it away just like I do out west and make more room in my tent. The can answers the "possession" question.

As far as a backpack in my tent.......ALWAYS.

Quote Originally Posted by ;1260776
    from Jarrod to Blood Mountain and the bear canister requirement.
    Is a bear cannister required in this area now?

Im considering sprinkling cayenne pepper around perimeter of tent to repel mice. Any thoughts on that?

A buddy of mine who thru'd years ago (Scar Tissue) has a nice quarter size hole in the top of his tent where a mouse chewed through trying to get to an empty Snicker Bar wrapper he left in the top fabric shelf one evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    A buddy of mine who thru'd years ago (Scar Tissue) has a nice quarter size hole in the top of his tent where a mouse chewed through trying to get to an empty Snicker Bar wrapper he left in the top fabric shelf one evening.
    Mice have no respect at all for possession.......

Quote Originally Posted by surfnturk View Post
    Im considering sprinkling cayenne pepper around perimeter of tent to repel mice. Any thoughts on that?

You're gonna look funny carrying around those bulk size cayanne pepper jars from Costco down the trail.....
    Last edited by Spokes; 02-29-2012 at 15:48.

Images

need to be wary of schezuan mice, they love the spicy stuff

Images

Are you taking at least a gallon for a long hike?

Now y'all are being plain silly. Obviously, LNT means you scoop up the pepper each morning and recycle it for the next camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    Now y'all are being plain silly. Obviously, LNT means you scoop up the pepper each morning and recycle it for the next camp.
    Or carry it to the Partnership Shelter and share it with others when the pizza arrives.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++