WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Western Maryland-Harpers Ferry

The wife & myself will be doing a week long hike beginning 4/29. Can anyone give us advice as to a safe place to leave our vehicle in Western MD. or Harpers Ferry? We are new to this & this will be our 1st multi night hiking trip. I also heard from a co-worker that there may be shuttles that will drop us at a starting point? North or south bound; it doesn't matter. The wife has only asked that we stop once mid-week at a hotel or B & B, so any advice on this would be greatly appreciated also. Thank you, (no trail name yet).

you can leave it at the national park visitors center. i left a vehicle there for over a week

National Park Visitors Center? Is this at Harpers Ferry?

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    National Park Visitors Center? Is this at Harpers Ferry?
    yes........

Best parking is at the Park Service lot in Harpers Ferry. Another poster recently asked on this thread. Scroll down and you'll see some info. on parking and the link to the Park Service's website.

I recommend a southbound hike from either Rt. 30/Caledonia SP in PA (58 miles) or Pine Grove Furnace SP (78 miles), depending on your perceived pace and whether your week is 7 full days of hiking or not. There's a good hiker hostel on Wolfsville Rd. near your halfway point and close to the trail if you and your wife are willing to stay in a hostel environment.

Shuttles can be found by consulting the ATC list.

Check with Laurel at the Teahorse Hostel in Harper's Ferry. I left my vehicle there last fall and never worried about it.

TeaHorse Hostel: 304-535-6848

GA-ME 2011
    Images

PenMar Park at the MD/PA line is a good place to park. I've left my car there for a week at a time on several occasions without a problem. Just depends on if you want to go southbound or northbound. Southbound is easier, you don't have to do the 1,000' climb up from Weaverton.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

This looks like the thread I need to be on! I am planning on hiking the AT from Western Maryland all the way to Maine and I'd appreciate hearing from experienced hikers from this fine state who have chosen this same route. You see, I am from Idaho and have only been living here in Catonsville for a year and I am hoping to hop on the trail (for the first time) in late May or early June. Any advice would be appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by rmsidell View Post
    This looks like the thread I need to be on! I am planning on hiking the AT from Western Maryland all the way to Maine and I'd appreciate hearing from experienced hikers from this fine state who have chosen this same route. You see, I am from Idaho and have only been living here in Catonsville for a year and I am hoping to hop on the trail (for the first time) in late May or early June. Any advice would be appreciated!
    While the northern New England part will be the most physically challenging, I think your most difficult adjustment is your first month. Leaving Harpers Ferry or nearby MD in late May/early June means you will experience summer humidity like you never have before if you've lived your entire young life in the West. You can't prepare physically but be ready mentally.

Default pM park

According to AT guide Penn Mar park doesn't open til 1st Sunday in May, which is about a week too late. But thanks for the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by fins1838 View Post
    According to AT guide Penn Mar park doesn't open til 1st Sunday in May, which is about a week too late. But thanks for the advice.
    Pen Mar Park has a large gravel parking lot next to it that is open at all times. The restrooms are closed in the winter - but the park is "open" - that is, you can still walk around in it and get to the AT.

Well I've gotten anywhere from $0.00 to $12,000. 2k seems the most reasonable thus far...I hope I can scrounge together at least this much. As someone noted, I am not doing a full traditional thru-hike, just from the "psychological midpoint" Harper's Ferry to the famed Mt. Katahdin.

Three of us parked our cars at the Super 8 in Thurmont, MD. We took a cab to the MD/PA border the next morning, hiked the 40 or so miles to Harper's Ferry, and caught a shuttle ride back to the Super 8 from Laurel at the Tea Horse Hostel in Harper's Ferry. This was over Veteran's Day weekend Nov 2011. Vehicles were safe. Super 8 management was awesome about! No cost.

++ New Posts ++