WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Transient Being's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Good Light Down Booties

Thinkin' about picking up a pair. I've heard about the WM Flash Down booties....3 oz. each. Wanted to see if they're are any other brands out there that would be a good option.
    Fortune favors the brave--Virgil

Images

www.goosefeetgear.com

Ben will also make custom stuff for you if you ask. I have a pair of his down pants.

TB
    WM has two types of low booties..
    The Flash Down are about 3oz for the pair.
    The Standard booties are just over 7oz (M) for the pair
    A bit higher with a 2.5" high nylon skirt at the bottom making them a bit more usable outside the tent.
    I like the internal heel strap, that helps in keeping them up when you walk.
    Franco

+1 on goosefeet

Images

i had these http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/sho...8_10000001_-1_ weighted 12 oz. worked good, but not to sleep with. i gotta check out the goosefeet w/the covers.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I have and like Feathered Friends down booties. There is an outer "boot" that you can wear around camp over the booties. Take off the outer boot when you get in your bag. XL pair only 9 oz including the outer boots. I think the inner boots might only be 4 oz the pair if you want to leave the outer boots at home. Nice and toasty and versatile.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    I have and like Feathered Friends down booties. There is an outer "boot" that you can wear around camp over the booties. Take off the outer boot when you get in your bag. XL pair only 9 oz including the outer boots. I think the inner boots might only be 4 oz the pair if you want to leave the outer boots at home. Nice and toasty and versatile.
    http://www.featheredfriends.com/Pica...20Booties.html

I have some cheapo REI booties that weigh 11 ozs. I wear them around home almost every day in the winter. Absolutely no traction in the outsole whatsoever. I've accidentally skied a few feet from time to time using them to hit the bushes at night.
    I'd probably buy another boot (inner boot with waterproof, removeable outer) if it had a thin sole with some type of lug pattern.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I really don't get what the booties are for. A camp shoe? Walk to the water source in them. Winter use? They look good as house slippers but I really don't understand them. Please enlighten me.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

I use a pair of Sierra Designs down booties. They have grip dots on the hard outsole. Work great for nature calls at night.

Quote Originally Posted by bamboo bob View Post
    I really don't get what the booties are for. A camp shoe? Walk to the water source in them. Winter use? They look good as house slippers but I really don't understand them. Please enlighten me.
    They are nice when it is really cold. Keep my feet toasty. Used mine more when I relied on a marginal sleeping bag. I don't need them in my hammock setup.

Depends. The real light down booties are designed to sleep in. The heavier ones might actually walk around in.

I have some 3 oz ones I use to extend the range of my sleeping bag.

That was my dilemma..
    Get the very light (3oz per pair...) for inside the tent or have a pair that I can walk with outside.
    (keep in mind that walk outside means a few paces from the tent , that is for cooking or having a pee not "walking")
    And if it isn't all that obvious , they are meant for below 32f , IE no rain about...
    I still have to wear mine inside the sleeping bag for more than about 30 min or so because my min temp has been around 17f so too warm for me for all night use.
    The FF way (as described by QiWiz could be the best solution and GooseFeet has something like that too.
    (BTW, at anything under 20f or so, sleeping with a light down jacket/pants and booties (or socks for me so far...) and a lighter bag (like the WM Summerlite ) can be a weight efficient solution (because you use the down clothing at camp) and works particularly well for fiddling in the tent as well as for the inevitable nature call)
    Franco

Good for hanging around the shelter while talking to your buddies, then for the walk back to the tent/hammock. A liner/outer is better because you can leave the dirty liner outside of the tent and wear the clean booties into the bag. It's nice to have warm feet in the winter. For a thruhike? No. Unless it's for very early starters who will send them home later.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

+1 on the Feathered Friends

In the winter, my feet in trail runners are warm enough when I'm moving, but start to get cold when I get to camp. Put the down booties on and now I have toasty feet in camp and toasty feet in my bag when I take the outer boots off. See my post above re Feathered Friends booties. All this comfort for about the weight of a cup of water. If a campfire is made, I can prop the trail runners on sticks a safe distance from the fire and dry them out for a more comfortable start the next morning. I do not bring down booties the other three seasons, but I'm a year-round backpacker.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Some of us suffer from a lack of circulation in the footsies. This is my luxury item!
    Oh, and +1 on Goosefeet!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

ok, on the goosefeet, it says overfill recommended with the option of 25, 50, 75 or 100% overfill with a 4, 7, 10, or 13 $ additional charge, respectively. Any suggestions on that? Too many options, arrgggh.

talk to ben on the overfill...he'll fill you in. all puns intended.

goosefeet are super nice and made really well... i'm enjoying mine!

http://www.postholer.com/ontrail
    2011 H.F.-Duncannon, Katahdin-Rangeley
    2012 Springer-Erwin

Journal Entries
    Images

lol, thanks.

Images

Another + for the Feathered Friends, 2 piece design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++