WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default TT Notch solid inner

notchsolid4.jpg
    The partially solid (fabric) inner for the TT Notch has just landed at TT USA.
    About 1.8oz / 50g heavier than the full mesh one but will give better wind protection making it (in my mind...) a very good option for early AT starts (or late for that matter)
    This pic should give a reasonable idea of the vestibule size and the end venting option.
    You can open that end triangle and still have rain protection.
    The inner goes up with the fly but either can be used separately.

Franco
    [email protected]

Any idea on the price difference for having both inners?? I just wonder if one could possibly pin some tyvek onto the sides of the mesh inner as an alternative, to use early on then removing when the weather warms up?
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

hi 4bears
    It will be a bit more but not much, say $20 or something like that.
    This may give a better idea of where it could be better :
    notchsolid2.jpg

as you can see you have a rain protected entry, however with the fabric inner you could leave the door panel fully or partially open even with some wind driven rain. The fabric is weather resistant.
    it also offers a bit more privacy.

Air flow does not usually bother me , I prefer that over humidity, but you can drop the Notch pretty low so that the fly is a couple of inches away from the ground.
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    hi 4bears
    It will be a bit more but not much, say $20 or something like that.
    This may give a better idea of where it could be better :
    notchsolid2.jpg

as you can see you have a rain protected entry, however with the fabric inner you could leave the door panel fully or partially open even with some wind driven rain. The fabric is weather resistant.
    it also offers a bit more privacy.

Air flow does not usually bother me , I prefer that over humidity, but you can drop the Notch pretty low so that the fly is a couple of inches away from the ground.
    Franco
    Nothing against this addition Franco, I am sure it can cover the demands of limited group of hikers as you mentioned.Actually I don't even have a Notch but since It is in my very short list of shelters to purchase( among Moment and Lightheart solo), I am interested on it and watched the TT notch videos online several times.

Doesn't this addition change the very beauty of TT notch that is being great at giving fairly wide and variable angle of view too drastically?

It is now like too much privacy in a tent that is mainly made for people that do not care too much about privacy vs enjoying the view of nature and the Beauty of sky(at least partially)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Nothing against this addition Franco, I am sure it can cover the demands of limited group of hikers as you mentioned.Actually I don't even have a Notch but since It is in my very short list of shelters to purchase( among Moment and Lightheart solo), I am interested on it and watched the TT notch videos online several times.

Doesn't this addition change the very beauty of TT notch that is being great at giving fairly wide and variable angle of view too drastically?

It is now like too much privacy in a tent that is mainly made for people that do not care too much about privacy vs enjoying the view of nature and the Beauty of sky(at least partially)?
    It is an OPTIONAL interior. Yes, the mesh interior certainly offers better views and it's the standard interior for the Notch. The partial solid interior is better suited to cold, windy weather and blowing dust environments.

-H

The inner makes the Notch look like an angular Hilleberg Akto. Nice touch for cold weather.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

The idea of the Notch came about when Henry designed the Moment. (called the F1 with sticks..)
    The first version of the moment (F1) had a symmetrical design (a vestibule on either side) so it seemed obvious at the time that a trekking pole version of it could be done.
    Because Henry had been tinkering with the StratoSpire 2 design for years , after the Moment happened he went back to work on that and eventually the solo version.
    Once he nailed those two shelters the Notch (known as the X) came about in a very short time .
    A few days after the drawings were done, Henry made a prototype .
    Having seen that, it became obvious that it could be used in many areas as a 4 seasons shelter and that is how the idea of a solid inner happened. (before it was shown on the net...)
    Just after the first few pictures appeared in the various forums, folk started to ask for a fabric inner.

As explained by the words addition and optional ,you can buy any combo you like.
    So you will be able to order the mesh inner (and ignore the other one) the solid inner or both.
    Franco

If you are in late fall early spring the fabric sides really help add a couple degrees to your sleep system. Once I get in my tent I could care less about views. The reality is that most tent sites don't necessarily have the best view, especially after picking the best tent site for shelter/protection. Also... once I'm in the tent and horizontal it is typically dark. What good is a view then?

I think adding this as a feature offers value and flexibility. It allows users to own both inners, the full mesh version in summer and the fabric one in the colder months. Options are good!

Images

Will be monitoring TT.com to see how much the optional partial fabric interior costs. It's not showing available yet. I LOVE the original Notch I received around xmas, but would love the additional coverage interior for my winter hikes. Once again, Bravo Henry!!
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Images

I am confused: does anybody can buy this additional fabric and add it to his already purchased Notch and make it a warmer tent and then take it off when the weather is suited?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    I am confused: does anybody can buy this additional fabric and add it to his already purchased Notch and make it a warmer tent and then take it off when the weather is suited?
    confused?? awwwww.

I can only imagine what rigging/pinning fabric to the mesh walls would look like or do to the existing inner, much less how effective it would be. I guess if I were penny pinching, I'd consider a "rigged option", or just wing it w/ the original interior. Fortunately I'm not!

Images

[QUOTE=kevperro;1258290]If you are in late fall early spring the fabric sides really help add a couple degrees to your sleep system. Once I get in my tent I could care less about views. The reality is that most tent sites don't necessarily have the best view, especially after picking the best tent site for shelter/protection. Also... once I'm in the tent and horizontal it is typically dark. What good is a view then?

I think adding this as a feature offers value and flexibility. It allows users to own both inners, the full mesh version in summer and the fabric one in the colder months. Options are good![/QUOTE

I enjoy my horizontal time in tent as much as my hiking time if not more but totally understand your point of view.

For people like you that go to tent when it is dark this new version is great. For me ? I love to camp earlier, take my time to write some stuff,make a hot cup of milk or two, enjoy the sunset, watch the wildlife if possible( and fish if permitted ) and make a good meal with fish,and flirt with tomorrow plan and maps. On occasions that I need more privacy, I will close down the side fly of the tent and I have it.

Anyway, I Loved the Nemo Meta 2 p tent's design originally but I hike alone with a small dog that does not have sharp nails so I reckoned nemo 2p is too big and heavy for me and then I found notch that is lighter and smaller both in pack size and footprint. The only little thing I do not like about TT is the fabric color in general but it wont stop me to buy it I guess.

People do do their own tent conversions.
    That is putting mesh into fabric panels, fabric replacing mesh , adding zips vents and so on.
    Obviously doing that voids the warranty so you do that at your own risk.
    Remember that folk that do mods tend to do it as a hobby, for fun, not to save money.
    (often the first two or three prototypes fail)
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    People do do their own tent conversions.
    (often the first two or three prototypes fail)
    Franco
    I hear ya,,, I altered my TT Double Rainbow a few years back. On one side, I added a zipper to the vestibule door (pre-zipper model), and then enclosed the bottom of that vestibule, creating a completely enclosed vestibule. Craftsmanship wasn't the greatest, as I was new to sewing, but it worked. Now it's the loaner. I'd think long and hard before I considered an alter again.

You just saved me the trouble of reposting

[QUOTE=Kookork;1258311]
    Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    If you are in late fall early spring the fabric sides really help add a couple degrees to your sleep system. Once I get in my tent I could care less about views. The reality is that most tent sites don't necessarily have the best view, especially after picking the best tent site for shelter/protection. Also... once I'm in the tent and horizontal it is typically dark. What good is a view then?

I think adding this as a feature offers value and flexibility. It allows users to own both inners, the full mesh version in summer and the fabric one in the colder months. Options are good![/QUOTE

I enjoy my horizontal time in tent as much as my hiking time if not more but totally understand your point of view.

For people like you that go to tent when it is dark this new version is great. For me ? I love to camp earlier, take my time to write some stuff,make a hot cup of milk or two, enjoy the sunset, watch the wildlife if possible( and fish if permitted ) and make a good meal with fish,and flirt with tomorrow plan and maps. On occasions that I need more privacy, I will close down the side fly of the tent and I have it.

Anyway, I Loved the Nemo Meta 2 p tent's design originally but I hike alone with a small dog that does not have sharp nails so I reckoned nemo 2p is too big and heavy for me and then I found notch that is lighter and smaller both in pack size and footprint. The only little thing I do not like about TT is the fabric color in general but it wont stop me to buy it I guess.
    Yea... everyone has a different style. As they say.... HYOH and pick the flavor of shelter that fits that style. I like Henry and his products so I'm kind of a TarpTent fan-boy. I hiked for the last 15 years and couple thousand miles with my last tent which was UL by the standards of the day. The choices now... are tremendous compared to 20 years ago. I've cut my base weight at least 5lbs from what I hiked the AT with in the early 90s and I thought I was UL back then. Also... most of my equipment is made in the USA via cottage industry guys so I think good things are happening in the backpacking universe.

Put up my Notch for the first time today. It goes right up with minimal fuss and it is the perfect size for me. I may carry a Tyvek for my porch but I see little or nothing I'd change. It is pretty rare I feel that way about anything but Henry nailed this one. Rock solid if you have it staked right, stupid simple to get up, plenty of coverage and the flexibility of the dual entry and symmetric layout is perfect. The stuff sack is the right size too.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I wish I could get the Tarptent web page to work. I'm torn between the Notch and Stratosphire.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

"I wish I could get the Tarptent web page to work"
    What are you using ?
    Henry posted a fix for Mac users ( using wombat or some other animal like that) a few weeks ago. Not all Mac users because that is what he has...
    In the meantime you could bore yourself to tears watching my video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIt1O...2&feature=plcp
    Franco

Sorry. Someone else reported the problem and I just had a look myself.
    It works for me on Explorer but not Mozilla.
    Henry probably caused that adding some info today (some info not new products...)
    Franco

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++