WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SOBO Thru-hike May 2012

I'm looking for a partner to start my thru-hike with. Hopefully someone who can finish this thing with me, but starting together is nice either way. I have hiked parts of the AT and have been wanting to do a thru-hike for several years now. I graduate from grad-school in may 2012 and would like to start at Katahdin mid to late may. Looking forward to any advice, and meeting some friendly people.

Just so you know, you may not be able to get onto Katahdin to start your thru-hike until the end of May or beginning of June. If you look on the Baxter State Park page, the wardens don't like people starting too early because the landscape is so fragile. If you're dead set on going SOBO then make sure you give the Baxter State Park authority a call to clear your start date.

I was orginally planning on going SOBO starting at the same time as well, but when I read this page I decided to go NOBO instead because I need to be finished by mid-late August.

Here is the link to the Baxter State Park page: http://www.baxterstateparkauthority....ngThruFAQ.html

Hope this helped.
    Last edited by MAINEiac Hiker; 02-23-2012 at 10:02.

Welcome to you both.
    tehPyro, please check out the MEGA forum where you'll find quite a bit of information regarding the hows and whens regarding starting at Katahdin.

link:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...ers-%28MEGA%29
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 02-23-2012 at 16:10. Reason: link
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Hi, I'm Looking to start a SOBO hike myself ,but will probably start in July. I was curious how are you getting to the Baxter State Park trailhead? I have plenty of time on my hands so I don't have to rush to Springer Mtn. Thanks!

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenWolf View Post
    Hi, I'm Looking to start a SOBO hike myself ,but will probably start in July. I was curious how are you getting to the Baxter State Park trailhead? I have plenty of time on my hands so I don't have to rush to Springer Mtn. Thanks!
    I cant stress enough how fantastic Phil's service is. I would use it again in a heartbeat!

http://www.100milewilderness.info/

Only 9 more days till I start my hike. I'm so excited and can't wait to get out there. I hope to meet a lot of people. My phone number is (561) 310-7456 if anybody wants to text me or meet me when I get out there. I'll be using Phil's service to start out and I land the 31st in Bangor. I've been talking about this for years and it is finally happening.

++ New Posts ++