WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    Maybe I'm a "hobbyist gear maker". If this term catches on, remember you saw it here first.
    I've actually seen that phrase before.

"cottage industry" can mean made-in-China or in any country or nation of the world.

It means, you made it - you sell direct.

There exist resale stores that encourage cottage-industry by selling with no mark-up. I saw one in Sausalito, CA.

In general, when a "cottage industry" cannot keep up with sales orders, they have a co-op. When they have employees making the product, not only keeping track of customer orders, then, it is "small business".

Yvon Choinard started out as "cottage industry".

"When they have employees making the product, not only keeping track of customer orders, then, it is "small business"."
    That is possibly how the term was understood years ago however going by that definition now, Lazarus list would be decimated, and I mean that using the modern understanding of that term...

BTW, I am not in favour of one version over the other, just commenting on how generally people use the term "cottage" now.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadenza View Post
    http://slinglight.com/sl/

I can't believe I don't see more of these on the trail.
    It's the best backpacking chair ever!

Keeps your butt off the wet ground, sits low enough to cook, you can lay back and sleep in it, and it easily attaches to any pack.
    It's worth every penny it costs, and it's worth every ounce it weighs.
    These are no longer being made, according to their site

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."
    Isaiah 55:12

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    No shelters at the moment. "Late 2014 or early 2015" before shelters will be back in production.

Wayne
    I will be going to his shop on the 14th of this month and will find out when and what will be his 2015 line up.

"You will go out in joy and be led forth in peace;the mountains and hills will burst into song before you, and all the trees of the field will clap their hands."

Slinglight :
    AS OF 6-11-2014, SLING-LIGHT© Chairs are no longer available.

Franco,

Huh?...years ago?

People? Really?

I have had nothing but "good experience" with Zelph's Stoves, Hammock Gear, Titanium Goat, ZPacks "cottage industry" by the worldwide standard are authentic "cottage industry".

It is my understanding, the terminology "cottage industry" came about because of UN efforts for economic development.

This is the ZPacks workshop :
    zpacks_workshop_zpsb4e3e7af.jpg
    the people you see there are ZPacks employee.

I didn't know Joe had so much business!

He answered email, for a small order.

So , do we relax the "cottage" definition or do we start culling the non-solo operators?

My understanding is that the common link (now) between the various types of "cottage manufacturers" is that one can have (at times at least) access to the owner/designer.

Images

I personally see the term "cottage industry" as quaint and even romatic, as though someone is attempting to harken back to those original pre-industrial revolution cottage occupations such as spinners and weavers. But it is just a romatic term. The truth is that anyone attempting to supply the gear for our niche market is a small business, plain and simple.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

I don't look at the list as a endorsement but a guide to companies used by members and take it as such. What happened to Connie is unfortunate and I'm sorry to hear it. Perhaps it will work it self out.

AT 2012

fwiw, my original intention was to list all smallish businesses that provide products for hikers, weather I like them or not. i did not, and still do not, see a reason to distinguish between small and cottage business, or even US/foreign business. those distinctions could well be dealt with in another thread. i thought a list of suppliers that don't have large advertising budgets would be useful... and i still do!

I think I need to add Good To-go to the list, by the way...
    Lazarus

I love the list. Let's keep it going.

By the way, Yama Mt. Gear is back in production.

I have now unsubscribed from this thread, too bad - it used to be a good resource for WHOM is available to do business as opposed to HOW people do business.
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Due to several complaints, I moved a bunch of posts not really related to the list of cottage industry manufacturers. If you have a problem with a manufacturer it's probably best to start your own thread, especially if you intend on posting a lengthy email correspondence.

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    this is the most complete list i've seen (has dirty girl gaiters on list -- that would be my test...)

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/12378/cottage-backpacking-gear-directory/

support these fine people. they are the future of backpacking.

I was asked to post the email. The photo proof was removed, not by me.

I have started the thread: Buyer Beware

Yeah I have gear from at least a dozen of them, AWESOME gear and a great list.

For some reason i didn't expect to see Feathered Friends on this list. I was thinking they was too big to be considered a cottage industry company.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++