WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Way

Journal Entries

Default The Way

Anyone watch the Way movie? Watched it with the wife and give it a 2 thumbs up!! The AT looks like it will be more fun to hike then what they were hiking.

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    Anyone watch the Way movie? Watched it with the wife and give it a 2 thumbs up!! The AT looks like it will be more fun to hike then what they were hiking.
    Yep. Two thumbs up. Loved it

Hardy Hog
    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Agree. My wife and I saw it at the theater a couple of months ago. It doesn't take a multi-million dollar budget to make a good movie.

I did wonder why Martin Sheen carried such a large pack since almost all night were at hostels. And was The North Face a sponsor?

Images

Loved it and bought it to show to others.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

I really want to see it. I had thought about hiking the Camino de Santiago for a while. All the resources and maps and stuff were in Spanish. :P

Read this post, then while walking around Wal-Mart, I work nights and have nothing better to do sometimes, i saw the movie so i bought it. Great choice and thanks for making me aware of it.
    Schemer: Someone who is always trying to pull a fast one, or get bye through shady methods

There are not a lot of movies that I like.
    I don't watch horror films, action (bloody, killing) movies.
    Love stories a little bit, if someone recommends them but not my favorite.
    But I like hiking or adventure films so, got this one and tried to watch it.
    Made it about 30 minutes. Couldn't get into it.
    Sorry. I tried.

Maybe cause it's a road-walk adventure. And that kind of thing turns me off.
    Then there's that thing with the book and the stamps? Reminds me of people who sew patches all over their packs. Always was a turn-off for me.

Southbounders movie was much better IMO. or the one where the guy cuts his own arm off. (a little boring but, better than this one)
    My newest favorite movie of all time: "The fastest Indian"
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Not highjack thread but did u watch Into The Wild fiddlehead? I loved that movie also hear some good things abt Grey haven't seen it tho

Images

Bummer, it's not on Netflix streaming

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    There are not a lot of movies that I like.
    I don't watch horror films, action (bloody, killing) movies.
    Love stories a little bit, if someone recommends them but not my favorite.
    But I like hiking or adventure films so, got this one and tried to watch it.
    Made it about 30 minutes. Couldn't get into it.
    Sorry. I tried.

Maybe cause it's a road-walk adventure. And that kind of thing turns me off.
    Then there's that thing with the book and the stamps? Reminds me of people who sew patches all over their packs. Always was a turn-off for me.

Southbounders movie was much better IMO. or the one where the guy cuts his own arm off. (a little boring but, better than this one)
    My newest favorite movie of all time: "The fastest Indian"
    I have(on CD,for road walking) The one where the guy cuts his own arm off.It's called ("127 hours" between a rock and a hard place).I saw the movie and like the CD much better.It's actually read by the author Aron Ralston,and he does a terrific job.I'll have to look for "The Way",never heard of it.I too like adventure movies,and travel narratives.

Images

There is a book about the Camino de Santiago called The Pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho. It was his journey on the trail, not the same as the movie, but definitely worth the read.

This is next on my Netflix cue! I've been trying to get it for the past week or so but it has been sold out since it's been available on disk. I've been on a portion of it and Martin Sheen is one of my favorite actors so I've been trying to get it!

its on red box to rent, great movie, only wish north face wasnt posted on the gear

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stumpnotch2011 View Post
    its on red box to rent, great movie, only wish north face wasnt posted on the gear
    Just curious.... why? Did it somehow diminish the movie for you because the wardrobe designer decided to stay authentic and not remove labels? You have a particular disdain for TNF? I notice you didn't mention Marmot but Emilio Estevez is clearly wearing an orange Marmot Precip in most of his scenes and the Marmot label is very easy to spot.

Not busting your chops, just wondering why that bothered you...

LOVED The Way. Saw it three times and got all my friends to see it. They loved it, too. Am definitely buying it.

Images

I liked it. Seems that trail gets pretty crowded and not really that much wilderness. How can there be if you stay in a hostel every night. I think I'm gonna do most of my hiking here in the "new" world. I enjoyed the movie though.
    "The wind that blows, is all that anybody knows"
    Thoreau

Saw The Way. Liked it.

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

Default The Way

I saw this movie 5 days after returning from Spain and completing The Way. I enjoyed it. A little movie magic but essence was still there. No it is no a wilderness trail like the AT. Walking mostly along animal trails and through farm and vineyards. But a great experience.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Addicted Hiker and Donating Member Hammock Hanger's Avatar
    Images

There is plenty in English. Check
    Amazon. You can complete the hike w/o knowing Spanish. But of course knowing some is helpful.
    Hammock Hanger -- Life is my journey and I'm surely not rushing to the "summit"...:D

http://www.gcast.com/u/hammockhanger/main

Quote Originally Posted by Many Moons View Post
    I just watched it last night. I was thinking how nice that walk is in regards to the condition of the trail vs. the AT. Most of it looked like like it was well groomed single track and/or country roads and lanes. No roots and rocks, etc. No one slipped or fell during the whole movie! Mostly open vistas, no "green tunnel" effect. Other things that stood out - looked like some of the characters were hiking in jeans and cotton hoodies. Also, the hikers clustered together whereas the 'pilgrims" on the AT are more dispersed. Usually if you see a cluster of people it will be a group out on a short trip.Lastly, the Dutch fellow hiked the entire length without losing weight - that would never happen on the AT.I do realize that it was a movie and the story line trumped the need for 100%accuracy (I think the term is artistic license)

Overall I enjoyed the movie. Would like to make that walk someday. Overall it seemed (from the movie) more leisurely and casual than a trip on the AT.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++