WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where should I mail drop my summer sleeping bag?

Hey, guys. I am wondering where I can switch out my Feathered Friends Swift 20 deg. mummy bag for my el cheapo 50 deg. rectangular bag? I will be leaving on March, 18. I figure I'll need to mail my 50 deg. bag to somewhere in Virginia, but I don't know where. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I also forgot to ask: Where should I bounce my 20 deg. bag to in the north? Thanks again.

I picked up my Marmot pounder (50 degree) in Harpers Ferry. Needed it earlier, so Pearisburg would probably have been better. Sent it home in Hanover.

After Mount Rogers, before the Whites.

Garlic
    Images

Some good advice I heard on the trail after misjudging it by a week (too early) was to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid May) no matter where you are. So much depends on your pace and you don't know that yet. If you could have someone at home standing by to mail it to you when you have a good idea, it'll pay to be flexible.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Some good advice I heard on the trail after misjudging it by a week (too early) was to wait until the Trail Days weekend (mid May) no matter where you are. So much depends on your pace and you don't know that yet. If you could have someone at home standing by to mail it to you when you have a good idea, it'll pay to be flexible.
    YEP - pretty much spot-on here

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

Word. I misjudged it by a week also. Trail Days is a good idea. Baltimore Jack says in the resupply guide that he's seen it snow in the middle of Virginia on May 18--I was initially suspicious of that claim, but I totally believe it now. There will be a lot of warm days in the South before that which make it seem like winter's over, but if I were doing it again, I would absolutely play it safe. Being cold for two days/nights straight sucks (and is more dangerous) more than carrying an extra pound of sleeping bag for two weeks.

I made it through the Whites in late August with a 45-degree summer bag. In hindsight, that was probably a terrible idea. There were two nights that I spent in Huts where, if I had been forced to spend them outside, I would have been very very cold. So Lincoln would be the place to pick your winter bag back up again.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Eywa Dude View Post
    Hey, guys. I am wondering where I can switch out my Feathered Friends Swift 20 deg. mummy bag for my el cheapo 50 deg. rectangular bag? I will be leaving on March, 18. I figure I'll need to mail my 50 deg. bag to somewhere in Virginia, but I don't know where. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Just get a 40 degree bag and keep it the whole way. That's what I did. But I didn't leave NOBO until April 17. Everybody leaves in early to mid March and then freezes to death for a month. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderheart View Post
    Just get a 40 degree bag and keep it the whole way. That's what I did. But I didn't leave NOBO until April 17. Everybody leaves in early to mid March and then freezes to death for a month. Just my opinion.
    Believe it or not Tuts started in Feb. and used a 40 degree bag the whole way! Tougher than me for sure.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    I picked up my Marmot pounder (50 degree) in Harpers Ferry. Needed it earlier, so Pearisburg would probably have been better. Sent it home in Hanover.
    Marmot pounder is a 40 degree bag.

Pearisburg & Glencliff.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Pearisburg and Hanover.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Pearisburg and Hanover.
    Last year I started on 3/14 with a 20 degree Feathered Friends sleeping bag.
    Got to Pearisburg on 4/30 and went to a Montebell ULSS #5 40 degree bag with a silk liner.
    When I got to Hanover, NH on 7/12 I switched to a Montbell ULSS #3 30 degree bag and kept the silk liner.
    Also used a NeoAir pad the entire trip.
    A couple of nights I had to wear my down jacket but I was always warm enough.
    Hope this helps.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Marmot pounder is a 40 degree bag.
    It may be rated at 40 but I think even 50 is pushing it.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    It may be rated at 40 but I think even 50 is pushing it.

I actually tested mine on a 23 degree night with a lightweight base layer, socks and beanie. I slept pretty well til around 4 in the morning. I was in a tarp to. A pretty good bag IMHO.

Advice I received here last year was Pearisburg and Glencliff. That advice was spot on. I actually swtched back to winter gear at Hanover as there was talk of Glencliff PO closing. (It turned very cold on us after traildays at Damascus and I was very glad to have my winter gear)

++ New Posts ++