WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Roan Mountain

Default Roan Mountain

Has anyone stopped over for a night in Roan Mountain? If so what kind of lodging do they offer? thanks

Slept in the Roan High Point Shelter last November. The shelter is an enclosed 2 story building that once was the fire tower oberserver's housing. It was in bad shape with food left in the shelter, and mice running everywhere. There is good water, but no privy. This is an endangered area, hence camping outside of the shelter is highly discouraged.

There are areas near the bald that look like reasonable campsites with some tree shelter. I don't know when the restrooms and water service are restarted for the tourons.

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ljallen
    Has anyone stopped over for a night in Roan Mountain? If so what kind of lodging do they offer? thanks
    ===============================
    I pitched a tent and slept on the bluff summit on my thru in 2003. Breathtaking view but don't know if I would suggest that to anyone in retrospect. There is a bathhouse at the summit, which we needed to duck into when the winds/rain came a comin.

'Slogger
    AT 2003
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

I hung my hammock in some trees near the shelter and had a good night with some thru-hikers cooking and eating by the fire in front of the shelter.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

good water???....suspect source,,make sure treat there.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by ljallen
    Do you mean the town of Roan Mountain, TN?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brushy Sage
    Do you mean the town of Roan Mountain, TN?

Yes, I believe that is what he means.

Although, the shelter isnt that far off the road at carvers gap (maybe an hour at most) so I would just stay there.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    good water???....suspect source,,make sure treat there.
    Survived another suspect water source!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Survived another suspect water source!
    yew jisst waite OB...yew gonna get sumnother kinda bug in yore belly, idun seed dat wahter at roan..it's wuz nastie lookin to me.
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Springer-->Stony Brook Road VT MedicineMan's Avatar
    Images

Default best lodging Roan Mtn.

The town itself is as suspect as the water mentioned in the threads above...try Roan Mtn. State Park and the cabins they rent there:

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/parks/RoanMtn/

The park is a good one with nice hiking trails, trout river, visitors center, etc.

Elizebethton, TN is only 15-20mins down the road and has more typical hotel offerings.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtnsteve
    yew jisst waite OB...yew gonna get sumnother kinda bug in yore belly, idun seed dat wahter at roan..it's wuz nastie lookin to me.
    Notice that the is perpetually squatting. I prolly should have gone with , as he has nothing happening heading south.

Last Fall, the water and the area were in pretty good shape, although I wouldn't be too surprised with problems during prime hiking season and summer. I hope they are able to place a privy in that area soon.

tideblazer
    Images

I hear the Cloudland hotel has some esquisite accomodations. Just don't cross that line with a drink in your hand.
    www.ridge2reef.org -Organic Tropical Farm, Farm Stays, Group Retreats.... Trail life in the Caribbean

Images

Default time travel

Wookie, i would love to go back in time and spend a weekend at the Cloudland. Must have been quite a party then.

Unhappy

After reading most of the 2004 journal posting I noticed a pattern of stomach ailments for that area. I figured the water was suspect. As it takes a while for some of these ailments to "bloom", water from a large area could be suspect.
    I noticed in 2003 while in the area some of the steams had a very noticable growth.
    Carvers gap and 19e crossings come to mind.

Many rural areas in the south have not quite come up to standard with proper sepic systems. Many years ago homes discharged sewage down hill just far enough not to effect the water well. Some of these homes still have not come up to local standards. It either discharges directly on open ground where rain moves it around or into a creek.
    pete

I've hiked thru this area a dozen times and never had a problem, and I drink much of my water straight.

There is no problem with the water here, at least none that requires more care and vigilance than you'd use anywhere else.

Images

Default same here

and if you think about it most water problems are in the lowlands, so i would expect more 'ardias in maryland or new jersey. With Roan being so high one wouldnt expect it

Roan High Bluff Shelter is close enough to roads and parking lots to attract a few tourons, as well as hikers with dogs.

Giardia cysts are there.

The question is whether it really matters, given that there are many other potential causes for GI disorders via poor hygiene and cooking.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Roan High Bluff Shelter is close enough to roads and parking lots to attract a few tourons, as well as hikers with dogs.

Giardia cysts are there.

The question is whether it really matters, given that there are many other potential causes for GI disorders via poor hygiene and cooking.
    as a matter of fact it is a very heavily used area ... and that spring is slow flowing, lots of folks camp above it, treating the water here is certainly prudent,

Hi ljallen, I live just above roan mnt. there are just a couple of places. General Wilder's Hostle and another place near the AT crossing on 19e. Other than that, it would be Hampton or Banner Elk.
    G.Morris

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Roan Mtn services...

the town of ROAN MTN has a small motel & of course, there's now a hostel there...as mentioned above.

The ROAN HIGH BALD is a cabin....not a shelter...even tho' it's listed as such....(a former fire warden cabin)..& IS the highest elevation on the A.T.

If you're not allergic to hitching there's several motels a few miles from ROAN MTN as well.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++