Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1

    Default Ok, still not UL but critique the packweight please

    Here is a list of everything,, down to the t.p

    osprey atmos 65
    henry shires tarptent
    big agnas sleeping bag
    insulated air core pad
    silk bag liner
    msr liquid fuel stove
    fuel bottle w/fuel
    aluminum .9 pot
    plastic cup
    plastic spoon
    gravity filter/two platy bags
    1 camelbak
    1 small headlamp
    guide book
    pen
    small notebook
    12 x 12 camp towel (sea to summit)
    1 bandana
    4 dry sacks seperating food, cloths, misc items, puffy jacket




    toiletries/
    1/4 roll or less t.p.
    travel size deodorant
    travel toothpaste
    toothbrush
    nail clippers

    first aid
    3 bandaids
    moleskin
    2 small packets antibiotic ointment

    cloths
    night/capalene shirt, light socks
    day/ wicking shirt
    smart wool lg sleeve
    puffy jacket
    light base layer pants
    convertible pants
    2 pair socks/one worn
    2 pair underwear +1 worn
    tarp/poncho

    electronics
    smartphone
    charger
    pentax pt and shoot camera
    charger
    small rechargeable charger very small maybe 4 oz. (will recharge phone at least 1.5 times)

    total with food 37 lbs

    How you guys keep it under 20 lbs and survive, I'm impressed.

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,865

    Default

    that's average. just go and add or subtract stuff as you go. you'll be fine

  3. #3

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    8,337
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    You didnt list any weights!

    Your pack is heavier than needs to be (could be 2.5 lbs)
    Your tent is heavier than needs to be (could be a 1lb cuben tent)
    your sleeping bag and pad is heavier than needs to be (try a Western Mountaineering -lite series)
    a bag liner is weight that is much better put to use in the bag itself
    Alcohol stove for solo trail use is lighter
    get rid of filter, carry Aqua Mira or bleach for questionable water sources
    dont need camelback, drink from water bottles
    take only guidebook pages you need, bounce the rest
    DRY SACKS are heavy. All you need are sacks (cuben) to organize
    use a hefty trash compactor liner to waterproof your pack. (2oz)

    Your ancestors didnt have toilet paper, you dont need it either.
    deodorant?? LMAO
    Make dried toothpaste dots, cut handle off toothbrush and drill holes to lighten
    get a UL knife (swiss army) that has scissors for nails. Also can be used to open food. Nailclippers are not multipurpose
    Electronics?

    There is no reason not to be 15-20 lbs before food/water even with winter gear, and an avg carried wt of 20-25 lbs, 30 max.




  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    58
    Posts
    30,865

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    You didnt list any weights!

    Your pack is heavier than needs to be (could be 2.5 lbs)
    Your tent is heavier than needs to be (could be a 1lb cuben tent)
    your sleeping bag and pad is heavier than needs to be (try a Western Mountaineering -lite series)
    a bag liner is weight that is much better put to use in the bag itself
    Alcohol stove for solo trail use is lighter
    get rid of filter, carry Aqua Mira or bleach for questionable water sources
    dont need camelback, drink from water bottles
    take only guidebook pages you need, bounce the rest
    DRY SACKS are heavy. All you need are sacks (cuben) to organize
    use a hefty trash compactor liner to waterproof your pack. (2oz)

    Your ancestors didnt have toilet paper, you dont need it either.
    deodorant?? LMAO
    Make dried toothpaste dots, cut handle off toothbrush and drill holes to lighten
    get a UL knife (swiss army) that has scissors for nails. Also can be used to open food. Nailclippers are not multipurpose
    Electronics?

    There is no reason not to be 15-20 lbs before food/water even with winter gear, and an avg carried wt of 20-25 lbs, 30 max.



    swamprat, this works for him. most likely not for you. you'll get 100 pieces of "advice" from all the experts. go with what you got

  5. #5
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2005
    Location
    Virginia, 10 miles from the AT near SNP
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,470
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    171

    Default

    Rather skimpy first aid, imo. I'd take duct tape also. Blisters are a big factor heading out. Include some aspirin in your kit at your age. Might want Tylenol also.
    You're taking a heavy stove, which accounts for weight
    You've got chargers for everything. Esp with a camera charger, I'd consider a bounce box for it.
    Don't need nail clippers if you have a small jackknife with scissors.
    I'd get some dri ducks instead of your poncho.
    You're carrying a lot of water bags. I'd cut one.
    Need a hat, gloves
    bear bag rope?
    Hope your spoon is lexan, plastic melts in hot food
    Bet you have too much food also...
    Last edited by Blissful; 03-01-2012 at 22:27.







    Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker


  6. #6
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-14-2005
    Location
    Virginia, 10 miles from the AT near SNP
    Age
    54
    Posts
    10,470
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    171

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

    cut handle off toothbrush and drill holes to lighten

    I've seen people advocate this. I do not. You can't grip the brush handle properly to brush properly. Esp back teeth that can easily get decayed. All you need is one bad tooth to get you really sick.

    DO not save .00002 ounce by sawing off a toothbrush handle.







    Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker


  7. #7

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    8,337
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    He asked for critique, and queried how people got to below 20 lbs.

    My son and I will do a quick trip in a couple weeks, our packs will be right around 15 lbs for 3 days w/ food and water. Although we may do the distance in just 2 if we feel like pushing hard enough on day 1. That is the freedom a light pack affords you.

    Cutting the handle off the toothbrush to save ~.2 oz isnt even the point. The point is to have analyzed each and every item in your pack, no matter how small or trivial, and know that you are carrying the absolute lightest form of each,( possibly that you choose to afford ) that will do the function its intended to do. Carry multipurpose items when possible to delete others, and carry nothing that doesnt have a definite defined use.

    grams add up to ounces, ounces to lbs, and lbs to misery

  8. #8

    Default

    Swamprat, we need to know the weight with out food or water. Those are variables and we can't judge your base weight with them included. Especially since you didn't list weights of the individual items.

    Do you have a 20 pound base with 17 pounds of food and water or do you have a 35 pound base with 2 pounds of food and water?

    I have all you got and more with a base wieght of 17-18 pounds, which is good for early spring in the south. Not hard to do.
    The AT - It has it's ups and downs...

  9. #9
    BYGE "Biggie" TOMP's Avatar
    Join Date
    12-04-2011
    Location
    Back in NJ
    Age
    31
    Posts
    532

    Default

    Whatever you do dont skim on cold weather gear to lower your pack weight. Only you know what you need to stay warm. Everything I have read indicates that there will be a need for cold weather gear so be weary of anyone suggesting that you dump some insulation for a few ounces. They wont be out there on the day when it is cold and you need it. Maybe that person is warm enough without it or maybe they just dont hike when its cold you just dont know. Again only you know what you need to stay warm.

  10. #10
    Seeker Lugh's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-23-2012
    Location
    Southeastern Ohio
    Age
    37
    Posts
    16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Here is a list of everything,, down to the t.p

    osprey atmos 65
    henry shires tarptent
    big agnas sleeping bag
    insulated air core pad
    silk bag liner
    msr liquid fuel stove
    fuel bottle w/fuel
    aluminum .9 pot
    plastic cup
    plastic spoon
    gravity filter/two platy bags
    1 camelbak
    1 small headlamp
    guide book
    pen
    small notebook
    12 x 12 camp towel (sea to summit)
    1 bandana
    4 dry sacks seperating food, cloths, misc items, puffy jacket




    toiletries/
    1/4 roll or less t.p.
    travel size deodorant
    travel toothpaste
    toothbrush
    nail clippers

    first aid
    3 bandaids
    moleskin
    2 small packets antibiotic ointment

    cloths
    night/capalene shirt, light socks
    day/ wicking shirt
    smart wool lg sleeve
    puffy jacket
    light base layer pants
    convertible pants
    2 pair socks/one worn
    2 pair underwear +1 worn
    tarp/poncho

    electronics
    smartphone
    charger
    pentax pt and shoot camera
    charger
    small rechargeable charger very small maybe 4 oz. (will recharge phone at least 1.5 times)

    total with food 37 lbs

    How you guys keep it under 20 lbs and survive, I'm impressed.
    They spend a TON of money. That is how.

  11. #11
    Registered User ezNomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    09-21-2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    45
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I don't know how you have 37lbs. I'm at 31lbs with a regular solo tent (REI T1 quarter) and more random stuff, and more electronics. I weighed my pack twice with everything in it and added up weight. My base is 23 lbs 1.5lb pack, ~7lb tent/pad/bag, 1.5lb cookingset, 6lb packed clothes, 2.5lb misc supplies, 4lb electronics (not including worn pocketed smartphone/camera). Maybe food/water? I only plan to carry 6 pounds food (to resupply every 4 days at least initially) and 1 litre water.

  12. #12
    Registered User moocow's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-21-2011
    Location
    Arlington, TX
    Age
    32
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lugh View Post
    They spend a TON of money. That is how.
    amen to that! i've seen a lot of these ultra ultralight hiker's gear lists and have summed it up to two categories.
    they have all decided that weight trumps all.

    some use their pocket book. they'll spend up to a thousand dollars on shelter and a sleeping bag alone. and all in the name of saving, if they're lucky, a pound.

    then there are those that remove so many of the small things that i would personally find myself completely miserable without them.

    here's a small list of things that i choose to carry and that more than a few ultra ultralighters don't.
    water filtering system
    shelter
    long pants (or even convertible pants for that matter)
    rain jacket
    rain pants
    underwear
    an extra pair of socks
    camp shoes
    and extra long sleeve shirt
    a fleece for when its cooler than expected
    camera (after all, phone will do the same job)
    stove
    cup
    camp towel
    notebook
    bag liner
    pack rain cover
    deodorant

    the list goes on but you get the idea.
    that's how you get those incredibly low pack weights.

  13. #13
    Registered User swjohnsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-13-2010
    Location
    Kingsville, Texas
    Age
    70
    Posts
    2,224

    Default

    BS.
    Western Mounteering Highlite sleeping bag w/cuben drysack $290 1 lb 1 oz
    ULA Ohm 2.0 .................................................. ......................$200 1 lb 12 oz
    Neoair Xlite............................................. ..............................$130 7 oz
    Big Agnes Flycreek 1................................................. ..............$180 2 lb

    Big Four.............................................. ..................................$800 5 lb 4oz

    Even with the stuff you are carrying I don't see 37 lbs. I suspect you are carrying too much food and water.

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    He asked for critique, and queried how people got to below 20 lbs.

    My son and I will do a quick trip in a couple weeks, our packs will be right around 15 lbs for 3 days w/ food and water. Although we may do the distance in just 2 if we feel like pushing hard enough on day 1. That is the freedom a light pack affords you.

    Cutting the handle off the toothbrush to save ~.2 oz isnt even the point. The point is to have analyzed each and every item in your pack, no matter how small or trivial, and know that you are carrying the absolute lightest form of each,( possibly that you choose to afford ) that will do the function its intended to do. Carry multipurpose items when possible to delete others, and carry nothing that doesnt have a definite defined use.

    grams add up to ounces, ounces to lbs, and lbs to misery
    Great info muddywaters. one day I may try the ultra light route. For now, this old geiser wants a little comfort. As stated, You guys impress the hell out of me with the UL hiking. Thanks for the info.

  15. #15

    Default

    Hey thethinker, i was looking for this type of response for us average people.... What is your pack weight with about 4 days of food?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ezNomad View Post
    I don't know how you have 37lbs. I'm at 31lbs with a regular solo tent (REI T1 quarter) and more random stuff, and more electronics. I weighed my pack twice with everything in it and added up weight. My base is 23 lbs 1.5lb pack, ~7lb tent/pad/bag, 1.5lb cookingset, 6lb packed clothes, 2.5lb misc supplies, 4lb electronics (not including worn pocketed smartphone/camera). Maybe food/water? I only plan to carry 6 pounds food (to resupply every 4 days at least initially) and 1 litre water.
    Its got to be the food and water. Reading your list makes me PROUD!! You need a truck, not a backpack. Just kidd'n. I do see where I should be lighter though. How are you weighing your stuff?

  17. #17
    Digger takethisbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,061
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's average. just go and add or subtract stuff as you go. you'll be fine

    True. You'll figure it out. It helps to list your departure date, it affects the gear required
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

  18. #18
    Digger takethisbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-11-2009
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,061
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that's average. just go and add or subtract stuff as you go. you'll be fine

    True. You'll figure it out. It helps to list your departure date, it affects the gear required
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

  19. #19

    Default

    my start date is march 12. I would expect some cold weather but it's been such a mild winter, I could have gotten on the trail a month ago.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-07-2011
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Age
    49
    Posts
    265
    Images
    1

    Default

    I'd keep the nail clippers if you have thick toenails like me. Better to do that job right than to risk injury. Then again I just bought a pair for $1.69 at Safeway so you could buy clippers when you need them and then put them in the hiker box (with the food - yuck!).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •