WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Apple House Shelter

I just saw in The AT Guide that the Apple House Shelter is to be removed in 2012. Does anyone know if there will be tentsites at the location or has anyone been to Mountain Harbour B&B/Hostel?

Tumbleweed
    Last edited by RETCW4; 01-24-2012 at 14:22.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

From my copy of the TEHCC newsletters, because of the location is so close to 19E, there is a long term plan to remove Apple House Shelter and replace it with tent pads. Stan Murray Shelter is also being looked into for removal. I have not heard any other info. Mountain Squid probably has more info since he is more current with TEHCC maintenance.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

I stopped at Mountain Harbor B+B for the first time last year and was glad I did. Best breakfest I ever had on the trail was there. Back in '08 I passed it by, but everyone who I meet who stopped there raved about it, so I made sure I stopped this time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

No matter what happens, I bet the TEHCC will have signs posted about it in all the shelters for a long way in either direction. You'll probably know a few days in advance what's what. They're extremely organized and informative in that way.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Images

There is really good camping already there, I don't think many people actually used the shelter to sleep in. I know I wouldn't have, it was pretty bad. And yeah Mountain Harbor is great. You can tent, stay in the bunkhouse which is really nice, or get a private room. That and the Whistlestop had without a doubt the best breakfasts I had on the trail.

Images

Last summer I stayed a couple of nights at Kinkora. Bob attended a trail committee meeting the second night. When he came back late in the evening, he joined us for some leftover pizza we had delivered. If I remember right, he told us that that was one of the items they had decided that evening, to remove the Apple House Shelter. Can't say we disagreed with him. When we had passed by it on our way, it was totally trashed, including a number of very used condoms. Bob said that that was the norm, no matter how often they policed it and cleaned it. He also said that the Laural Fork Shelter is as big of problem, and we may loose it. The only thing stopping them, is the fact that it is in a Wilderness Area, and if it is removed, it will never be able to be replaced.

Regarding Mountain Harbour. I've used their services for two consecutive years, both shuttle and staying overnight. Last summer, three of us called from the Overmountain shelter to make reservations. We were told there was room, and we had a place in the hostel. On our arrival, however, we were advised that there had been a mis-communication on their part, and there was, in fact, no room in the hostel. They directed us to one of the rooms in the big house, did our laundry, provided a plate of fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies (still warm), shuttled us to the store, provided one of the greatest breakfasts I've ever seen, and they charged us the hostel rate. First class operation, first class people.

Images

Apple House is a really sketchy shelter (and I like sketchy sometimes) but it is very close to the road and the majority of the people who camp here are NOT backpackers - they are local groups of party kids and (I've heard) that vandalism is really bad around here too. I'm not sure if Mountain Harbor charges a tent fee (in their huge grassy lot) but there are plenty of flat tent spots south of Apple House after you come down the mountain that will be free. My first blush is that this is probably a good idea. On the other hand, it's sort of sad to hear about the Stan Murray Shelter - it's is an oldie but a goodie in my book - I know Over Mountain Shelter is close (and super cool) but there is something sort of charming about little Stan Murray - what harm does it do? Maybe someone can shed some light on this - I've had fun staying at Stan Murray - it was fairly new when I thru-hiked in '85 - (10 years old?) - I think I tented there though. I did stay in there in '08 again with friends and we had a lot of fun. Maybe someone smarter than me can tell me why to tear it down.

Journal Entries
    Images

Apple House Shelter is indeed 'scheduled' for removal. No firm date as of yet. I'm not sure of the exact level of removal either. It is an older shelter and because of its age it might be 'historic'. I believe we are awaiting approval from the Forest Service to proceed.

Once it has been removed I will provide the details to WhiteBlaze.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike

Quote Originally Posted by mountain squid View Post
    Apple House Shelter is indeed 'scheduled' for removal. No firm date as of yet. I'm not sure of the exact level of removal either. It is an older shelter and because of its age it might be 'historic'. I believe we are awaiting approval from the Forest Service to proceed.

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    it is an old existing dwelling. it wasn't built as an AT shelter

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    getting permission to remove a historical building is not that hard, write a full history, take lots of pictures, provide an impact statement to the controlling entity.
    wait for permission
    I was "remotly" involved in the removal of several "historic" buildings in pearl harbor it is not as painful as some would have you believe, especially if the structure is "unsafe".... use that in the impact statement everytime UNSAFE, helps move things along!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HT1 View Post
    getting permission to remove a historical building is not that hard, write a full history, take lots of pictures, provide an impact statement to the controlling entity.
    wait for permission
    I was "remotly" involved in the removal of several "historic" buildings in pearl harbor it is not as painful as some would have you believe, especially if the structure is "unsafe".... use that in the impact statement everytime UNSAFE, helps move things along!
    being in the historic restoration business, I'm glad to know the tactics of the folks that like to tear things down. I usually side on the side of preservation but I would agree (as earlier stated) that Apple House should probably go.

Journal Entries
    Images

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

how to hike
    I would guess it would be a good project for the ASU Trail Crew. Let me know, I might head back for that project.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Stayed there on a Saturday night in early October 2010, it was pretty clean and no party kids showed up. I'd vote to keep it myself.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Good decision.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

If Apple House shelter was removed there would be 18 miles between Overmountain and Mountaineer Falls Shelters. How would hikers ever handle such a long way between shelters?
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    If Apple House shelter was removed there would be 18 miles between Overmountain and Mountaineer Falls Shelters. How would hikers ever handle such a long way between shelters?
    Stay at the B+B. The trail between Overmountain and Mountaineer falls isn't the easiest. First you have the two humps to hump over to get to 19E (pray for good weather) and then getting from 19E to Mountaineer is a bit of a grunt. Though a nice one. The view back towards Roan Mt is nice, as is Jones Falls.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

I stayed there during my thru in '06. It was December, cold and wet, and we certainly weren't troubled by any other people, locals or otherwise. I'm not sure removing the shelter will accomplish much in terms of reducing trash, etc. Think about Doll Flats--it's usually pretty disgusting.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Images

Options:
    A good long hike
    Tenting on the trail - there are plenty of tent sites before and after Mountain Harbor
    Tenting at Mtn Harbor - not sure what they charge to camp in the field - might be free.

I think that if the shelter was removed that a new one would eventually be constructed somewhere a little further from the road - North of Mountain Harbor

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the main concern a lot of hikers will have is more of the long term plan...Mtn Harbour B&B will not be open forever. Yes there are tent sites along the trail, but the Buck Mtn area is not one of the most inviting places to setup camp.
    ''Tennessee Viking'

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Stay at the B+B. The trail between Overmountain and Mountaineer falls isn't the easiest. First you have the two humps to hump over to get to 19E (pray for good weather) and then getting from 19E to Mountaineer is a bit of a grunt. Though a nice one. The view back towards Roan Mt is nice, as is Jones Falls.
    Did Overmountain to Kincora in one day, hungover!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++