WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I had it for a couple of years. Small spots. Tried to dig it out and made it worse. Tried everything. Creams, Duct tape, capping with Super Glue digging to the root. Nothing worked.

While learning to Kite Board on the desert lakes I had several days walking bear foot on the sandy beach in hot sand. A few times it was burning hot in the middle of the day. I notice weeks late my feet where looking brand new. Nothing but smooth skin.

It had to have been the Burning Sand on bear feet.

planters warts, plantar fasciitis.

Sorry. Different thing.

Just get a shot of cortisone. Make sure you do the stretches after to prevent it from coming back.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I got PF from running on the treadmill at its highest angle setting. Suffered with it for over 6 months until it finally went away. Once you've had it apparently you're more susceptible to to have a reoccurrence. When I thrued last year I changed shoes (trail runners) every 400 -500 miles in an effort to prevent a problem. It worked, no PF the entire trip.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lostinfflood View Post
    Just get a shot of cortisone. Make sure you do the stretches after to prevent it from coming back.
    Disagree. Only get so many cortisone injections in one life.

I needed proper arch support. PF really does catch your attention.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by gentrified View Post
    After a 3 mile hike thursday, and 8 miles today, I can hardly put any weight on my foot.
    My mantra has always been 'let pain be your guide'. I'm afraid that the above statement is speaking volumes. I'm sorry. Tough break!!

Images

I had it and it knocked me off the trail 12 years ago after 1500 miles. My feet healed up fine doing nothing special and I thru hiked the next year with the a new pair of the same Scarpa leather boots with super feet. Never had a relapse. I since switched to various trail runners with super feet.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Quote Originally Posted by gentrified View Post
    In training for my hike, I have developed plantar fasciitis in one foot - heel only. I have rested for 2 months now, with no improvement, and it's just getting worse. I have tried PT, and even massage therapy, sleep with a brace, stretching, and heel cup inserts. I have been to the DR, and MRI and xrays. Can one just hike thru the pain and it goes away? Does anyone have experience with developing PF, and it going away as you hike? After a 3 mile hike thursday, and 8 miles today, I can hardly put any weight on my foot.
    I don't think it will get better as you hike. If you have not tried a steroid injection, I would. If that gets it better, keep stretching like a nut and cross your fingers and hit the trail. DO NOT get up on your toes going uphill, but rather plant foot flat on the trail and bend at ankle. Do not push off toes with any vigor; this is often what flares up the PF.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Journal Entries

Before you get out of the bed in the mourning, keep by your bed side an elastic band like an old bicycle inner tube or buy a stretch ban. Lay flat and place the tube or ban around the foot which has the plantar fasiitis and pull gently to stretch the ligament band on the bottom of your foot. Do this several times before you get out of bed. I have had this problem and this stretching of the ligament band under you foot worked for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kennybrae View Post
    I've had PF a couple of times and recovered quickly. Google "strasbourg sock". With that image in your head try to visualize my cure.
    I put on a stiff soled shoe at bed time. I use a bike shoe with the cleat off. Now, using duct tape, run a strip from the heel of the shoe, over the sole and around the toe. Continue the tape up and over your knee. It helps to shave where the tape will be first!
    Now, run a band of tape around your calf under the knee and over the tape from your toe and another band around your leg above your knee. ...
    Or just buy the Strassburg Sock itself for about $40 and spare yourself the trouble. I've heard it works well but haven't tried it. It appears my PF is trying to resolve of its own volition, fingers crossed.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

I had it a couple years ago from running. I needed stiffer insoles. Now I replace all my shoe/boot insoles with Superfeet (the orange ones) insoles and haven't had an issue since.

Seems like a lot of different cures have worked for different folks. I'm ticked because I do all of the preventative stuff--stretch conscientiously, wear good shoes, hike in good boots with superfeet, train incrementally, monitor my diet, monitor my weight, etc. Yet, I got it about a week ago. Since then I've been icing it, rolling on bottles, mild stretching and massaging, and no hiking. It is getting worse. UGH.
    I'm supposed to hit Springer at the end of the month for a section to Marion VA. I may start looking for a faith healer :-)

I'm just whining. I've ordered a Straussberg sock, a massage ball, and a book that looks interesting--a study of the reported cures for PF.

Journal Entries

Yep I got PF in my right foot and went to the doctor. He sent me to an Orthopedic, who took an x-ray, and told me I had a tiny bone spur don't know why you are having a problem with it. That was 20 years ago. It has come and gone since then and I also developed it in my left foot. Sent me to physical therapy, arch supports (drove me through the roof), stretching, rolling a iced beverage under the foot while setting (relieved it some). Finally went to a Podiatrist, He took and x-ray November 1st 2011 and told me that I had the biggest bone spurs he had ever seen. I had surgery Nov 18th and Dec 28th for removal. Now after 16 weeks I am finally getting where I can walk 3 miles. Hopefully I can get back to normal before next March to start my hike.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Danl View Post
    Finally went to a Podiatrist, He took and x-ray November 1st 2011 and told me that I had the biggest bone spurs he had ever seen. I had surgery Nov 18th and Dec 28th for removal. Now after 16 weeks I am finally getting where I can walk 3 miles. Hopefully I can get back to normal before next March to start my hike.
    Good luck, Danl. I suspect I have a bone spur in my left heel (the one affected by PF) from a college injury. It does look like my case, for now, has resolved with a couple months off trail this past winter, from Thanksgiving weekend to February 16. I join in recommending swimming to the OP. Never tried the Strassburg Sock but will if things ever flare up again.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

have had it and used a rolling pin to stretch out my arch by gradually placing more weight on it did this excercise several times a day for a week and eliminated it dont let anyone talk you into surgery

I'll throw in my two cents worth on the matter...

I had several cases of PF over the past 10 years, and in all instances I changed to very soft soles (running shoes and crocs) until the pain subsided. Usually a month or so. I would also massage my feet regularly. I have now been hiking avidly for three years and have suffered no symptoms at all. When I hike, especially toward the end of the day and in dry weather, I aim to hit as many roots and rocks as I can (within reason) to place pressure on the arches. Kind of like a foot massage in stride. My feet have never felt better.

Still, my recommendation too would be to see a podiatrist. I think all my cases were fairly minor.
    Jake "Humbuck" Langston

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    have had it and used a rolling pin to stretch out my arch by gradually placing more weight on it did this exercise several times a day for a week and eliminated it don't let anyone talk you into surgery
    I used both a coke bottle and golf balls to do the same thing. It's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dubs View Post
    I used both a coke bottle and golf balls to do the same thing. It's not fun.
    Each time I see this thread pop up,I say to myself;Yes you can hike through Plantar Fasciitis,but why would you want to!T-Dubs +1,you gave a good idea with the golf ball,and now I'm thinking a tennis ball would also lend well,when the pain is real bad,being a little softer.

My Pt was caused by walking on concrete many miles each day from my warehouse job. Left foot was fine during the morning, but after sitting 1/2 hour for lunch, it was excruciating to get back up and walk again. Went to a podiatrist and has a bone spur on the heel. I elected to have surgery to correct it as I was a single parent and had to work and could not afford to let it become more of a problem. Was back to work in two weeks, and have not had a problem with it since. Also got the orthopedic custom made inserts to wear with better shoes afterwords.

Images

PF knocked me off the trail this year. I had PF last year and had custom orthotics made. Those helped a lot. Back in March it flaired up again and I got off the trail at Winding Stair gap. I could barely walk. I've been icing my feet with a frozen water bottle and sleeping in Stassburg socks at night. I've been going to a chiropractor who specializes in A.R.T. and grastin (spelling?) which are forms of deep tissue massage that break up scar tissue that are like knots that have formed on the fasciia. It has helped me tremendously. The PF in my left foot is gone and the right one is almost gone. I have just one knot of scar tissue left on my right foot back towards the heel. Each session, twice a week, is costing me $38 and takes about twenty minutes. It may be worth seeing if someone in your area performs this service.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++