WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Default Coffee

Anyone give up coffee to cut weight? Some things in life are sacred and morning coffee may be one but I'm considering giving it up to save weight, already gave up booze...hummmm...quality of life going down fast.

Images

Ask yourself this.....do you enjoy a cup of Joe in the morning?

Journal Entries

can't do it.... gotta have my jo.... i'll give up a pair of underwear or socks....!!!
    eveready

Images

I've been trying to ween myself of coffee now so I can hike without carrying it... but I can't. So I'll just order a case of Via through Amazon Prime and have it delivered to me along the trail.

Never! Blaspheme I tell you. I would sooner leave my map and compass than my precious!

No need to give up coffee. Coffee folks (ie. due to Starbucks) have made strides in the instant coffee market. No more unpalatable kinda flavored water...but something drinkable. The Starbucks VIA are pretty good and many grind your own coffee drinkers could not taste the difference. The instant coffee market was driven by those who used cheap robusta beans to achieve less than stellar coffee. Now some instant manufacturers are using quality beans. So yes you can have some lightweight coffee that does not taste like swill. Or you can just pregrind some and make cowboy coffee in your pot. This coming from a coffee snob...just bought some Kenyan Kagumo Peaberry Microlot form the Nyeri District of Central Kenya...supreme stuff.

Images

I to am somewhat of a coffee snob, but after reading afew posts on WB, my last walk I tried the VIA. I'm sold for now. I bring some Swiss Miss to add to it in the evening. It works good for me. I'm not sure if they have decaf for 'The Mrs.'

Images

Quote Originally Posted by turtle fast View Post
    No need to give up coffee. Coffee folks (ie. due to Starbucks) have made strides in the instant coffee market. No more unpalatable kinda flavored water...but something drinkable. The Starbucks VIA are pretty good and many grind your own coffee drinkers could not taste the difference. The instant coffee market was driven by those who used cheap robusta beans to achieve less than stellar coffee. Now some instant manufacturers are using quality beans. So yes you can have some lightweight coffee that does not taste like swill. Or you can just pregrind some and make cowboy coffee in your pot. This coming from a coffee snob...just bought some Kenyan Kagumo Peaberry Microlot form the Nyeri District of Central Kenya...supreme stuff.
    If you want to grind beans and make coffee that way, an Aero Press is a fantastic device for making a good cup of joe.

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    I to am somewhat of a coffee snob, but after reading afew posts on WB, my last walk I tried the VIA. I'm sold for now. I bring some Swiss Miss to add to it in the evening. It works good for me. I'm not sure if they have decaf for 'The Mrs.'
    VIA makes an Italian Roast decaf. Tastes the same as the regular Italian Roast. I still prefer the Columbian blend, though.

I gave up coffee not for the weight of it but because I had to plan my trips around it. I'd get physically ill from caffeine withdrawls to the point it felt like I was kicking heroin. I have a cup of coffee every 2-4 months now.
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

I find it's not the weight of the coffee (how heavy is instant?), it's the creamer, sugar, and the need to light up a stove in the AM that complicates hitting the trail sooner. For my short section hikes, I still drink the Joe in the AM. For longer hikes or a thru, I'd try and give it up.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Regardless of your morning drink of choice (coffee, tea, hot cocoa, protein shake, etc), there are a lot better and more efficient ways to cut weight in one's pack. Take your coffee and enjoy it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I gave up coffee after a couple weeks on my thru -- not to save weight -- but because I wanted to stop cooking breakfast. Didn't miss it at all. I still drank coffee in town.

I can give up boze but not coffee. When I'm out of coffee it's time to go into town.

On my sections, I prefer green tea as an evening drink. I bring a small amount of instant espresso in case I develop a serious headache from caffeine withdrawal, but it's just for medicinal purposes. Of course, when I'm in town, I really like a cup of strong, hot coffee...

Images

Starbucks Via all the way both thru-hikes.
    AT x 3
    GA-ME 2010
    GA-ME 2011
    ME-GA 2013

More then weight it takes time in the morning, but it's a nice way to warm yourself up. If you love coffee, better just keep it.

Journal Entries

No.

Starbucks VIA

Campmor.com used to have a simple setup for coffee that amounted to nothing more than a Malita style filter and two kabob skewers. Just push the skewers through the filter add coffee hang in the cup and pour in the hot water, let steep a few minutes. Or use the same kind of filter and a funnel with the bottom cut off. Clean up is even simpler. It doesn't have to be complicated, its trail coffee, a java jolt to get you going.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by sddavis View Post
    Anyone give up coffee to cut weight? Some things in life are sacred and morning coffee may be one but I'm considering giving it up to save weight, already gave up booze...hummmm...quality of life going down fast.
    No way, not giving up coffee. I pack instant. I used to take a little ziplock, now I take the starbucks single serve packets.

I could give up coffee on the trail,but prefer not to.After quitting smoking,I don't have as much of a desire for coffee,Except when I go to the book store,then it's a fourbucks latte.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++