WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Around and about...

Honestly, I'm considering the same two...right now I'm leaning toward the mini b/c of the reviews of the replacement filters. From what I can tell the replacement filter of the sweetwater has caused issues with folks, but the mini replacement filter is good to go, except freezing or dropping hard, but that is true for both.

I have a Miniworks that I have used with no problems, But like others have mentioned it is not light, I didn't want to use chemicals so I got a sawyer for my thru hike , For shorter hikes I will still use my Miniworks

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Many people drink untreated water with no problems, others are not so lucky. If you choose to treat, use something that works on all likely pathogens.
    Yeah a lot of people do that and only a few of my friends got giardia.

Quote Originally Posted by JustADude View Post
    From what I can tell the replacement filter of the sweetwater has caused issues with folks
    I didn't have any trouble with mine but that was years ago, what have you been hearing?

Images

Yeah I probally will go with the MSR MiniWorks they both seem good but with the sweetwater I saw a few reviews about having to take special care of keeping the clean and dirty hoses separated to avoid contamination. Dont know if the people are being over critical or what but. Either way I probally am gona go with the mini works
    Green One Each

When I filter I use a First Need purifier...yes, its extra weight and it needs to be back flushed once in a while and has a prefilter...but their is nothing like drinking cool purified water right away that just came from a beaver pond...instead of waiting 4 hours to drink. Normally I use Aqua Mira. I filter or boil most suspect or quasi suspect water. A lot of people talk about Giardia, Cryptosporidium, ecoli, etc...but nobody talks about tapeworm anymore....water bodies, especially in the north where Moose, wolf and beaver are have tapeworm eggs.

Around and about...

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    I didn't have any trouble with mine but that was years ago, what have you been hearing?
    Use all feedback with caution, but on Amazon the filter get 3 out of 5 stars for 5 reviewers and 3.5 out of 8 on REI for 8 reviewers (and similar reviews of the replacement filter when looking at Google Shopping). Problems were all over the place and some looked like user error, but the mini replacement filter had none of that.

I know it will be a good long while before having to replace the filter, but I would like it to be as painless/brainless/bulletproof as possible.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jelloitsalive View Post
    Ive got it narrowed down to 2 water purifiers but open to other suggestions..... Any past experineces or info on these 2 water purifiers would greatly be appriciated ----------MSR MiniWorks EX Water Filter or MSR SweetWater Water Filter
    Thank you
    I like my sweetwater. Highly recommend it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L’Amour

I have use the MSR Mircoflow and the Katadyn Pro. I switched to the Pro when I started pumping water for two people as I found the Microflow could clog and the back flushing is almost impossible to do in the field. The nice thing about the pump is that I can just pump water right into my hydration pouch without taking it out of my pack by disconnecting the bit valve. This year, I'm looking at the Sawyer Squeeze Filter. Less weight and less space. I'll be heading to REI to check it out...

Yeah as far as conventional filters go the Katadyn Hiker Pro is awesome, I'm also a fan of the quick connect valves.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Aqua-mira. If you're turned off about drinking from ponds have your filter sent to you in NH or Maine. I had a Sweetwater and hated it, too much work, frustration, freezing, clogging, breaking, and losing the foam thingy that keeps the pre-filter off the stream-bottom.
    Dittos uhh message too short - I hated Sweet Water!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

I've met people who have used inline hollow fiber matrix gravity filters for long periods of time without any problems.

advantages
    - the lightest
    - no pumping
    - fast flow
    - easy to backflow
    - The filter doesn't get clogged.

David Smolinski

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    I love the sawyer 3 way as an inline filter, but this video uses a more complicated connecter setup then is needed. All it takes is a male connector on the dirty side of the hose and female connector on the clean side.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Has anyone had extensive experience with the Sawyer Squeeze water filter? It looks very convenient and it has an editor's choice from Backpacker.

Images

If you're going to carry a filter, go with the Hiker Pro. It's the most common on the trail. Easy to use, faster than the MSR filters and it's easy to find replacement filters.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Try Iodine tablets - the lightest weight and the cheapest.

Bessie breeze

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bessiebreeze View Post

Bessie breeze
    please be aware to try this at home with a Phone next to you - after two days I was very sick due to Iodine in Canada!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by bessiebreeze View Post
    Bessie breeze
    If you brought a few tablets from this http://www.rei.com/product/407071/po...iodine-tablets with you in a ziploc it would be lighter but by my math it would cost $405 to filter as much water as this does http://www.rei.com/product/813800/pl...ment-cartridge

Also if you bring the whole bottle the iodine would be heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
    If you brought a few tablets from this http://www.rei.com/product/407071/po...iodine-tablets with you in a ziploc it would be lighter but by my math it would cost $405 to filter as much water as this does http://www.rei.com/product/813800/pl...ment-cartridge

Also if you bring the whole bottle the iodine would be heavier.
    Plus iodine tastes terrible, takes 30 min, stains and doesn't work on Cryptosporidium

I will be picking up the Sawyer Squeeze with my REI dividend. It will be just enough!

I have had a Hiker Pro in the past and sold it as all the hoses and balancing acts were no fun. Not to mention it was heavy, but it did work well. Just not for me.

I also recently picked up the 3 way inline filter from Sawyer but sent it back. It was heavier than advertised when dry, and especially when wet which is what the filter will be after using it the first time on a trip.

My main water treatment is chemicals, preferrably the tabs but I like AM drops too. But I think the Sawyer Squeeze may be a nice change up every once in a while...ill see anyway...
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++