WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Preliminary Gear List for 4/6 Leave

It's rough but all of the "important" stuff is there, I think o_O. Anything stand out as missing?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...BTHpPV0E#gid=0
    I know y'all are sick of these questions by wannabe thru-hikers but thanks for any time y'all put into reading my stuff.

Probably don't need the footprint. Paracord is overkill to hang food with. I have a Sansa MP3 player that I like. Has AM/FM radio, uses one AAA battery. A Lithium battery last several days. Bring a camera for sure. I like the Precip stuff and have a set but Driducks are much lighter and cheap.

This is a pretty good looking list. I agree paracord is overkill. Get 60 ft of 2mm nylon cord and cut about 12 ft off to make a drying line for your wet gear in camp. You may want to add a couple small dry sacks to carry your phone/electronics in and the other for your valuables. I like being able to quickly grab and carry my valuables when in town or on the trail when you drop your pack and head down to fetch water on a lunch break before shoving off....

You'll tweak this list even more after you've been on the trail for a month. Cheers!
    Last edited by Spokes; 03-05-2012 at 23:36.

+1 on the paracord. I also don't think you'd need a Platy in camp-- after all, you won't be in camp too long, and you'll probably never be more than a couple hours away from water. You do need to "think through" your first aid kit/hygiene, of course. I'd suggest talking a bit with you doctor if you haven't already. And, probably, you should consider a minimum repair kit, just enough to get you in to a resupply point (for example: duct tape, wire, safety pins, and super glue-- MacGyver did amazing things with them!).

And one more thing regarding BodyGlide: that's a good purchase, especially if you're prone to chafing. IMO, Hydropel is a necessity for preventing blisters. It's expensive ($20 for 2 oz) but well worth it.
    "We can no longer live as rats. We know too much." -- Nicodemus

Keep both pairs of socks. I like 3 pair myself. 2 for hiking (I switch off every day at lunch) and 1 for sleeping early on. Changing socks = happy feet.

Images

You might want to weigh all this stuff. It is easier to know what to leave when you can see the trade off for function vs. weight. HYOH

Sorry I have google blocked with Blocksite because of their privacy policy.

Heya, thanks for giving it an once over all you people! So things that need to be reviewed

-# of socks, I'm going to be in sandals so I typically will not be hiking in socks, so we'll just see how it goes
    -Small drysacks for electronics/valuables
    -Do some weighing, evaluate overall "Is the weight of this object worth it" quotient.
    -Repair/Hygiene kits
    -Google is watching me

Anything I miss?

++ New Posts ++