WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are so many disrespectful people on this site. I don't see how I've insulted anyone, and so many people have been picking on me.
    David Smolinski

Quote Originally Posted by cabbagehead View Post
    I never wanted to hike with a pig. I saw that there was a forum for people who hiked with dogs, and I wanted to offer a possibly better alternative.

Advantages of pigs:
    - They are far more intelligent than dogs.
    - They can be fed any type of food. You might be able to get free restaurant scraps for it.

Disadvantage:
    - I don't know what breeds are out there, but most of them have short legs.
    I have a pet mini pig. I'd say she can get about 50 yards without stopping and snacking on grass for an hour. Plus, the three inch legs and 40 lbs of mass don't make for a great endurance animal. I don't know how smart she is, but she's smart enough to completely ignore me when a scrumptious blade of grass is in sight. One more thing to add to the disadvantage list - would you need to bear bag that nice little bear bacon?.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

My stoves are. . . .
    Hate to burst your bubble, but hey're not your stoves. They're someone else's design that you just happen to be building. That said, you can't take credit for jack squat. Just sayin'.
    Thank you for your advice. I don't understand most of these statements. I am not alienating anyone. I have to give away marketing ideas in order to do marketing. I chose a stove design that many different people and companies have been making and selling, and none of them claim to have invented it.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Journal Entries
    Images

Lots of companies sell printer paper. They didn't all invent it.
    David Smolinski

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Lots of companies sell printer paper. They didn't all invent it.
    But none of them, of which I'm aware, tried to infer it as theirs.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

I guess that's a little discriminatory. I only prefer women because more than 2/3 of the long distance hikers I've met have been guys.
    Don't want to be sarcastic but what does this even mean?

Does it mean that if 2/3 of this year thru hikers are statistically women then you prefer men?!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Givin' away stoves ain't gonna get you laid.
    Cheap shot Hooch. cheap and disrespectful.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Don't want to be sarcastic but what does this even mean?

Does it mean that if 2/3 of this year thru hikers are statistically women then you prefer men?!!
    That's exactly what I mean. I'm talking about who I prefer to give a free stove to.
    David Smolinski

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Iceaxe View Post
    Mr Cabbage Head, please send Hikin_Jim, AKA Adventures in Stoving, one of your stoves. This fella has every stove there is on earth and shares his knowledge far and wide regarding anything stove related.
    For example: Hikin' Jim recently brought 60+ stoves to a Back Packing Light event and spent many hours sharing each one of them with folks.
    As a recent thru hiker of the AT, PCT and CDT I can vouch for this guy... I never met anyone as passionate about stoves as Hikin Jim.
    Cheers.
    I mailed him one today. He seems very helpful/respectful. I like his blog.
    David Smolinski

Images

There are so many disrespectful people on this site. I don't see how I've insulted anyone, and so many people have been picking on me.
    I don't think that you intentionally tried to insult some people here but it does not vindicate your actions. I think you unintentionally did some reversible damages.

You pissed off some folks by suggesting that taking dogs to trail is ridiculous while bringing pig is less ridiculous. It is weird and rare and did not help you.

You made guys pissed off since you preferred women to them for no apparent reason.

Then you made some women angry by suggesting that if men wants to see your stove,they might try to stay with women on trail( or something like that).

I have a feeling that you sincerely did not know that your comments are hurtful but as I said it does not vindicate you.

I have hurt some people intentionally and unintentionally in my life and for a long time I believed that I should not apologize for the unintentional ones but after reviewing my past I found that my unintentional actions were more hurtful than intentional ones and both of them demand apology or at least some sort of reevaluations.

Finally, you mentioned there are disrespectful posters here. Yes we have a few, but it by no means allows others to be the same.

With Respect

Kookork

Journal Entries
    Images

It seems that I have insulted all the men in the world and all the women in the world. If you have been insulted, please describe how so that I may apologize.
    David Smolinski

Wow, so many of you are missing the simple point here made by the OP:

A good stove system designed for a very specific niche market won’t sell itself by outstanding design / use principles, effectiveness, cost considerations or even ingenuity…

A good stove is sold best by someone with boobs. Of the backpacking women I know, selling stuff on the trail is one of their top three objectives alongside proper nutrition and a good shelter. And we see from above that there are women who wish to try your stove, men who are willing to help you succeed, and Karl who just wants a good pie. Now with that understood, some words of advice to the OP:

There are a number of good folks above (and reading) who do and don’t have boobs and MAY fully support your endeavors here IF you don’t insult everyone in the process. Like others have said, I wish you great luck!

Journal Entries
    Images

This is complete rubbish. If I were a female I'd say get lost. You have a lot of never to try and start a small company with that statement "women" only, are you serious. You have more than likely just lost yourself a ton of customers.

Folks go buy yourself a pack of tealight candles pop the candle out bam!!! You have yourself a .6 gram stove.
    I don't know

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    Of the backpacking women I know, selling stuff on the trail is one of their top three objectives alongside proper nutrition and a good shelter.
    What planet are you hiking on?
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

It's interesting how people easily forget who designed the stove that he's giving away.

Bill Ballowe of the White Box Stove doesn't seem to mind though or else he would have been here to compliment him on his replica.

Cabbagehead, you lost me with your pig thread. But know I wonder if a pig inhabits your clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    What planet are you hiking on?
    Not on the same planet you are reading on, ha. It was facetious and poignantly so.

But I recon I should have offered more helpful criticism.

OP: It might be better to reach your objectives here if you would ask for:
    1. Anyone hiking a great deal soon (or thru-hiking, leaving soon)
    2. Who has a charismatic outgoing personality
    3. That might want to check out your kick-ass stove
    4. If so, you may provide one to them for free!

You’d certainly get MORE takers on that, and you could sift through those interested as you wish to try and determine who might assist you the best.

Images

I own one of these!

It has proven to be a great little stove! For the price, you can't beat it. They are tough and efficient!

People are being way too sexist. There are more long distance hiker guys than women. If a guy is attracted to a woman, he might spend time with her and see the stove.
    I guess that's a little discriminatory. I only prefer women because more than 2/3 of the long distance hikers I've met have been guys.
    It seems that I have insulted all the men in the world and all the women in the world. If you have been insulted, please describe how so that I may apologize.
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and say most of that 1/3 of thru hiking women are NOT your typical sex pot, bimbo or man hunting women. If a gal is gonna do a long, get down dirty long distance hike, she's not interested in the type of guy who gravitates to her on the trail because she is a "her". This is the type of guy a lot of these gals will avoid, so the chance she will unpack for him to see her stove is not very likely. And based on that line of thought, if a guy is attracted to a gal on the trail, he's not gonna all the sudden be like "Wow, cool stove tell me where you got it." Now, IF she really does like your stove, she will promote it. BUT not by attracting men in the way you suggest. So as others are suggesting to you, using women as your target to help sell you stove--here is where I get blunt-- becuase of her tits and ass, is not a good strategy for the market you are trying to reach. So what others have been doing, and sincerely trying to help you, is to help you reach the most potential customers. You're view of how to do this is very narrow-minded and you should be listening to those who have more experience than you and be appreciative for the advise. (And I'm not looking for an apology)

Images

People are being way too sexist. There are more long distance hiker guys than women. If a guy is attracted to a woman, he might spend time with her and see the stove.
    What's the opening pitch? "I'll show you mine (stove) if you show me yours?"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++