WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default rain wrap or rain pants?

for spring time in the smokie... pros n cons.

I like rain pants in heavy rain. They keep water from running down into my boots.

It seemed like a good idea - but... It blows around in the wind (mine only chinches around the waist) and water bleads through sil-nylon at preasure points, like where the front of your legs touch it. So, your pants still get wet and the wrap doesn't do much for keeping your legs warm.

So, I've given up on the thing. My nylon pants dry out quick enough with body heat anyway. However, I have been thinking of making one out of Tyvak, except the stuff is so slippery keeping it on might be a problem. I've never really had a need for rain paints. Except in the winter above tree line when you need serious wind protection.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    It seemed like a good idea - but... It blows around in the wind (mine only chinches around the waist) and water bleeds through silnylon at pressure points, like where the front of your legs touch it. So, your pants still get wet and the wrap doesn't do much for keeping your legs warm.

So, I've given up on the thing. My nylon pants dry out quick enough with body heat anyway. However, I have been thinking of making one out of Tyvek, except the stuff is so slippery keeping it on might be a problem. I've never really had a need for rain paints. Except in the winter above tree line when you need serious wind protection.
    fashion some light weight suspenders,these need be nothing more than 2 strips of nylon material with some velcro.

Images

On my thru I only wore my rain pants twice and no longer carry them. I do carry a rain wrap which is much lighter and works well for me over my kilt. I found it very beneficial during 3 consecutive days of rain on the Susquehannock Trail in PA. Like a kilt, it provides good ventilation and so avoids getting wet from sweat. I'd say my kilt stayed only damp after the 3rd day of on and off rain (mostly on_).
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Images

I made my own rain wrap out of Cuben fiber, kept my legs dry and comfortable. Cuben does not wet out, I used the 1.26 oz weight.

Stir Fry

+1 for the wrap. Same reasons as handlebar.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

++ New Posts ++