WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section Difficulty

I am planning a section hike from Harpers Ferry to U.S. 30 this summer with my family. What is the comparitive diffuculty of that section. I took my wife and daughter to Shawnee Hills last summer without knowing it level of diffuculty and almost became a widower. My wife has a different point of view. She believes she could have won a case of justifiable homicide.

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Never been to the Shawnee Hills so can't compare it to that, but compared to the AT in general, the section you picked can be considered one of the easy sections.

The biggest problem isn't going to be the difficulty of the trail, but the heat and humidity if you do it in mid summer, along with possable afternoon thunder storms. But it's likely not a whole lot different then that time of year in Ohio, except your walking with packs on and there are some climbs - not too big, long or steep, but climbs never the less. Shouldn't be too bad though - but what your wife thinks isn't too bad might not be what we think isn't too bad.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

It will be hot but that is a fun and relatively easy section to hike especially if you're a history buff with the original Washington Monument ( http://www.cnyhiking.com/ATinMD-WashingtonMonument.htm ) and lots of Civil War markers as well as proximity to Antietam and Gettysburg. There are decent hiker hostels- Harper's Ferry AYI and Freestate. I'd think about going on to Pine Grove Furnace instead of US 30 so you can end at the Ironmaster's Hostel and the new AT Museum.
    After the first few thousand miles,
    a man gets limber with his feet.
    Sgt. Buster Kilrain, 20th Maine

Quote Originally Posted by Niobrara View Post
    I am planning a section hike from Harpers Ferry to U.S. 30 this summer with my family. What is the comparitive diffuculty of that section. I took my wife and daughter to Shawnee Hills last summer without knowing it level of diffuculty and almost became a widower. My wife has a different point of view. She believes she could have won a case of justifiable homicide.

Any response is greatly appreciated.
    If you're talking about the hills around Shawnee State Park weest of Portsmouth, OH, I'm inclined to agree with your wife. (My wife grew up there) That's some rough territory. Harper's Ferry to Southern PA is much easier. Just keep an eye on temps. The whole Mid-Atlantic can be miserable in summer, but the walking is for the most part smooth and level thru Maryland.

Thanks for the info. Yes I went to far on her first hike. I forgot that even though she was in the Army too, she was Army Nurse Corp. I learned my lesson. I thought about going to Pine Grove but only have six days at the most and am trying to make it a nicer hike for her.

++ New Posts ++