WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New pack ?

Default New pack ?

So I've been looking at updating my pack. I currently have an older (60 or so years old) REI Valhalla which as of late is just too big. The price you pay for upgrading to smaller & lighter equipment. I'm leaning towards two brands....Deuter & Osprey. Somewhere in the area of 50L (3,000 cubic inches of space +/-). Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

One more month til the 1st hike of the year...can't wait!!!

6 or so years (not 60....LOL!!)

osprey exos 46 is a great pack
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

The Exos 46 is a nice pack, though it didn't fit me well at all - I think it's made for thinner people. The Kestrel series is nice, though not particularly lightweight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Check out ULA packs...the Catalyst might be right for you...possibly the Circuit. Made in the USA, built well and would be relevant 10 years from now. Made by a thru hiker for hikers. They are intuitive and once used it is clear that thought was put into the design of it from a hiking perspective like the "catch all" pocket on the back or the roll down top. The packs ride well and importantly do not weigh a ton.

Images

Definitely check out ULA packs. I have a catalyst and have been very pleased. They also have great customer service which is a rare thing these days.

Has anyone given the new REI FLASH 52 or 62 a look or a try? 2lb 14oz for 59 liters of capacity.

Yep saw one a few weeks ago. The REI Flash I looked at was nice looking, but the pack I looked at needed better stitching work. I was curious of any reviews on it too...as the light weight caught my eye. I thought it was a daypack at first.

the best backpack i've used was an ll bean continental rucksack. it was light, comfy, relativity durable, and a good size(for me)

In love with the Osprey Atmos 50. Airspeed suspension is phenomenal.
    However, just bought a ULA Circuit for JMT thru hike this coming summer. Alittle more room, a little less weight, ability to fit bear canister.
    Both great packs in my opinion. Atmos will handle heavy loads (30-35lbs +) a little better. Though if your other gear has not been updated in 50-60 years either, these packs may not be the best option.

Sorry, missed that 3rd sentence about "smaller and lighter equipment". If you want the best service around, light( 39 ounces) , quality pack, go with the ULA Circuit. Catalyst would be too big for you if you are looking for 50L, 3000 cu in. pack. The Circuit is around 4000 cu in. Catalyst is considerably bigger. At the very least google search "ULA reviews"and see what others are saying.

Is the marine corp's ILBE pack a good pack for thru hiking the entire AT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

depends, are you Marine?

seriously, i'd say no. that ruck is heavy and designed for 1. combat 2. to be modular with MOLLE gear. one of the companies that produces the ILBE, makes very high quality civilian packs as well. granite gear

I own 3 Deuters

I don't hear about these much, but this seems like a good deal for 47L.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/exped...FY9lOgod_koADA

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BougalouBlain View Post
    Is the marine corp's ILBE pack a good pack for thru hiking the entire AT
    I'm sure it's been done. It will certainly carry all of the gear needed for a thru-hike. I've seen some prior-service hikers using military packs and clothing on their thru-hikes, so that stuff does work.

It's not ideal, as Hill Ape points out, because it's totally overbuilt for civilian hiking. So it'll work. Not sure if that makes it "good" or not.

The Army gave me an ALICE rucksack. Might have been a few years ago.... Even with the optional frame it would have been murder on my back for a long hike. That ILBE looks pretty sweet for its intended purpose.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

I was going to use the ILBE Gen 2 that I tactically acquired... however, it's about 8 lbs empty, if your baseweight is 35 lbs (seems to be about average from what I've been reading, could be wrong) that's almost a quarter of your baseweight. I'm currently looking at the ULA Catalyst as a replacement which will save me around 5 pounds that could be extra gear or get my baseweight down to 30 lbs.

A pack is one of the next pieces of equipment that I'm looking at. Lots of good information and thoughts in the preceding posts.

Images

I have gone from a 2lb zimmerbuilt to a Deuter 65 +10 ACT and I am happier for it. Yes it weights more but feels better everywhere it hugs my core and supports my poor back and transfers the load more comfortably to the hips that my zimmer ever did. Oh, and at half the price too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++