WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
    Journal Entries
    Images

I began my thru-hike this year, but am currently off the trail due to issues at home that I need to tend to. What I found was that the AT is a unique experience (as is every wilderness experience I have had over the years). So even the experienced camper/outdoors person may not be prepared. During this brief hiatus, I have used the time to rethink my gear and approach. I lightened my base weight from 33 lbs to less than 15 lbs by purchasing a smaller pack, sleeping pad and using a lighter sleeping bag. I also am leaving at home extra clothing that was not necessary. I found that I was carrying way too much food because re-supply is so available. However, I am adding an mp3 player loaded with books and music to comfort me during those long nights in my bag. I also was carrying too much water as there were plenty of places to re-fill. This winter has been unique but I was never cold at night.
    The best thing that outfitters could do would be to direct customers who are contemplating hiking the AT to this site or download Winton Porter's gear list and give it to the uninitiated.
    The trail of discarded gear, clothing and food is testimony to the adage that experience is the greatest teacher.

We carry stuff we think we are going to need. If I already own it and think I'll need it I may take it. Some things over the years I have been able to replace with lighter, newer, better versions. I will look at a trip, make a list and go to the gear room find the items and put them in my pack. I know what individual pieces weigh but usually don't weigh the pack when I'm done loading it. For me there isn't any point to knowing what my pack weighs as it contains things I'll be using. What am I going to do, leave out essential items just to get a lower number on a scale? As I have gotten older and have hiked a bunch I have learned that I can do without many things I used to think I needed to have with me. I don't care the end weight of my pack. I truly don't care how much you carry.

All the research in the world won't tell you exactly how it feels to carry just ten extra pounds over up and down mountains all day long. When people think ten pounds, they don't think its that much. When a hiker thinks of ten pounds, we think of an elephant.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9
++ New Posts ++