WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Coyote Rob Attempting Calendar Triple Crown

Looks like per his website (http://www.triplecrownhike.org/) he's attempting to do the triple crown between March 9th and Thanksgiving or the end of the year - first the PCT (Nobo), then the CDT (Nobo) and then the AT (Sobo).

Images

Here we go again. From his FAQ on his blog:

How much backpacking experience do you have?
    Only two trips, both less than a week. One in the Ansel Adams Wilderness, the other in the Sawtooth range. Plenty of bike touring experience though, and they're remarkably similar.

Why is it that folks can't do something simple like a thru hike. It also kills me that there is such a lack of planning. The logic behind doing the PCT first is:
    "PCT, then CDT, then AT. I figured the Continental Divide Trail should be done in the Summer months since it's at the highest elevation. Decided to do the Appalachian Trail last for the Fall colors. Pacific Crest Trail won the coveted first spot by default.PCT, then CDT, then AT. I figured the Continental Divide Trail should be done in the Summer months since it's at the highest elevation. Decided to do the Appalachian Trail last for the Fall colors. Pacific Crest Trail won the coveted first spot by default."

He want to finish the PCT in June meaning he will be hitting the Sierra in April. With no resupplies open in April this plan seems suspect. I would have done the AT first at a warmup speed, then hit the PCT in May and the CDT in August SB.

His goal is to do 30 mile days. His first two days he did an average of 24/day. I would have expected a stronger start given his "background of endurance events."

Interesting.
    Another attempt with no experience.
    Well, I wish him luck.
    Looks like a low snow year so far for the west but I worry that springs will be dry later on on all the trails because of this fact.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Per the website: "To date, only a handful of people have completed all three in their lifetime, only two have completed all three in a calendar year, and only one has thru-hiked them all in a single year."

Any one know the story of the hiker who actually pulled this off?
    2011 Through Hike - May 2nd Springer to Daleville, VA <> August 11 Katahdin back to Daleville, VA on December 22nd.

http://www.trailjournals.com/abouttime

Images

Flyin' Brian Robinson and Squeaky Mat Hazley

Didn't the other start in January?

As usual the gear list is...interesting: http://www.triplecrownhike.org/gear.html

I wish him the best even if I would need pretty good odds to bet he completes all 3 in the year. Considering how mild this winter has been, he seems to have weather on his side.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Leanthree View Post
    I wish him the best even if I would need pretty good odds to bet he completes all 3 in the year. Considering how mild this winter has been, he seems to have weather on his side.
    Not going through the Sierra in mid April. I have snowshoed the high Sierra in April and it doesn't matter what the snow is, it will be miles and miles of snow that will make 2011 on regular timing seem like a cake walk.

His FAQ says his going to SOBO the AT. But his mail drops say his ETA in Damascus is 9/18 and then Hanover, NH on 11/6. I am geographically challenged, but that doesn't sound quite right...

Quote Originally Posted by P1nkPanther View Post
    His FAQ says his going to SOBO the AT. But his mail drops say his ETA in Damascus is 9/18 and then Hanover, NH on 11/6. I am geographically challenged, but that doesn't sound quite right...
    He'll have to SOBO the AT to be successful IMO.
    He'll figure that out by then. (if he hasn't already)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Something tells me he has not heard of Squeaky.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Looking at his map he's seemed to make progress. http://www.triplecrownhike.org/progress.html However, at this rate he'll be into the the High Sierra early April. With so little experience, I don't think it's going to happen.

"Woke up after it was light, but before it was warm. Hiked only half a mile before I found a campground, complete with running water, picnic tables, and trash cans. Woulda been nice to know. Oh well, I got good sleep anyway."

Apparenty not using a guide book either. Seems like a nice guy, not arrogant like some of them. He might have a better chance if he did his research better. Hope he's a fast learner. It will be fun to see how far he gets. Wish him well.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    "Woke up after it was light, but before it was warm. Hiked only half a mile before I found a campground, complete with running water, picnic tables, and trash cans. Woulda been nice to know. Oh well, I got good sleep anyway."

Apparenty not using a guide book either. Seems like a nice guy, not arrogant like some of them. He might have a better chance if he did his research better. Hope he's a fast learner. It will be fun to see how far he gets. Wish him well.
    Judging by what his map looks like I camped in a similar spot about 1/2 mile before what's probably the same campground. I'd do it again too as the campground wasn't anything special (actually closed because of rare frog mating or something) and the area before it pretty nice. However, you're right, I knew it was there, had the book, and had been through there before.

I don't get the whole biking = hiking thing. My husband bikes, I hike. I can't just jump on a bike and do 90 miles in a day; my husband wouldn't jump into a similar hiking/backpacking situation. Very different beasts.

Images

I wish him well.
    One thing i just noticed checking his resupply mail drops is that he lists Crater Lake Post office. The PO is 4 miles down the highway. If he sends the package to Mazama village store instead he can save himself a hitch. That address is: Your name c/o Crater Lake General Store Mazama Village Crater Lake, OR 97604
    Actually i found the store had plenty of stuff to resupply from despite having sent myself a package there.
    Like GG Man said the Sierra is going to be incredibly challenging in April. Even now we are getting many feet of fresh snow up in the Sierra. Might have been slow in coming this year but Spring time is unpredictable.
    Early April means nothing will be open for resupply up there. Muir Trail Ranch, Vermillion Valley Resort, Reds Meadow, and Tuolumne Meadows will be closed.
    I suppose he could go out over Kearsarge and resupply at Independence the same as many thru hiker do later in the season. Just not sure if they close Onion valley road or if there is much traffic there in April.
    If he can get someone to pack in a resupply at Tuolumne that would be clutch.
    He has a lot of guts. I hope he makes it.
    Headed in to town.. You gotta rock the down! -fellow hikers mantra

Hope he doesn't plan on hiking in those blue jeans he's wearing in some of those pictures...best of luck to him though.

Images

At the end of day 9 he writes that is at the Underpass of I-15 where he hitched a ride to REI in Rancho Cucamongo, Day 10 he spends with his grandpa waiting out a storm.. This has to be Cajon Pass, mile 342 since that is the only place that I-15 crosses the PCT.

But here's the problem. He spent night 3 at mile 79, at a B&B near Sissors Crossing. That had him averaging 28mpd for the first three days. Day 4 he broke mile 100, then it sounds like he camped day 5 near Herrera's, mile 127. He got lost and torn up on Day 6, likely in Nance Canyon. He ended Day 6 in Idyllwild, which he could have only hitched to from RT 74 at Mile 152.

So now the bizarre part, he rapidly increased his daily mileage getting to Cajon in three days, a total of 190 miles. That means that he averaged 63mpd. That is really moving. But going at that speed he is missing a lot. His journal only says:

"Nothing in particular sticks out about those days, though I'd say the terrain is getting better. More trees, more water, less rocks inhabiting the trail. In their stead, actual dirt! The hills have gotten a little bigger, but I don't mind."

No mention of Whitewater or Mission Creeks, San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge, the caged animals, deep creek hot springs, Big Bear etc. He should slow down and see some of the scenery. But there were a lot of pictures of his war wounds.

Um...Nobody averages 63 miles a day, a few people can pull a 63 on a good day, but the reason he did 190 miles in 3 days is because some yellow-blazing is involved. Andrew Skurka has never come close to averaging 63 miles per day on anything he's done, either has Justin Lichter, but this guy has?

It's not bizarre....I think someone is sticking out their thumb : )

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++