WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Cool Anybody interested in doing the CT starting on May 1st?

Hey there everyone. Im a 26 year old OIF vet. Ive recently moved to Colorado, and its been a dream of mine to hike and backpack thru the US and other enchanting scenic places. This will be my first time backpacking. I could use a little advice on legal stuff as will such as camping permits for the trail, can you fish in streams and ponds on the route, are we allowed to set up campfires, and hunting with a homemade bow and arrow. Im trying not to let the modern world have alot of influence over me while im on my journey. Basically im trying to do it like the old days. Ill be starting in Denver and ending in Durango, the only thing is i might turn around and hike back to the area around Frisco, or maybe even head WSW to the Grand Canyon. DOES ANYONE KNOW TRAILS TO THE GRAND CANYON FROM DURANGO........welll guys and gals if anyone is interested, i plan on heading out May 1st, i would love to hear from you.

You'll need skis in May.
    As long as you have a fishing license and what you are fishing for is in season, you're OK there.
    Hunting? I believe most animals are only in season in the fall.
    I doubt the authorities care whether you made your own bow or bought one in a store.

Crossing the desert terrain between Durango and the Grand Canyon would be quite a challenge and better left to the very experienced desert hikers.
    Keep yourself alive and get a few years under your belt first.
    Try the CDT portion of CO after the CT.
    Then maybe NM to learn a little more about the desert first.

Have fun.
    And stay safe.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Unless it's an extremely low snow year, I'll agree with Fiddlehead about the skis or at least snow shoes starting May 1. You can google Hayduke Trail to hike from CO to the Grand Canyon, but if you have to ask, you're probably not ready..

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

It's that time of the year..people are asking to do the Colorado Trail well before the season. :O This year, more like June 21st (assuming no major late season snow dumps). Otherwise..yeah, skiing in avy conditions!

Read this first...
    http://www.pmags.com/colorado-trail-end-to-end-guide-2

Should help!
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Awesome thanks for the advice. The snow this season has been pretty scarce, so im not 100% if i will need the skiis. Plus i thought about if i did run into to deep of snow that i would be able to find an alternate route. Keep in mind im not really on a certain timeline, im pretty much gonna take my time and bond with this beautiful earth. Thanks again for your info, i will keep that in mind, esp the CDT after the CT and the to NM..Thanks again

Awesome thanks for the advice. The snow this season has been pretty scarce, so im not 100% if i will need the skiis. Plus i thought about if i did run into to deep of snow that i would be able to find an alternate route. Keep in mind im not really on a certain timeline, im pretty much gonna take my time and bond with this beautiful earth. Thanks again for your info, i will keep that in mind, esp the CDT after the CT and the to NM..Thanks again

It has been an exremley low snow winter, at least around breckenridge where i live. Im sure that im not ready for the Hayduke Trail, but im really in no hurry and i did have extensive military survival training, so i think i will be ok. But i even still may post pone that trip til i do get a lil more exp.....Thanks again

j:

You have email

++ New Posts ++