WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Osprey Exos 58?

Default Osprey Exos 58?

I'm looking at the Osprey Exos 58, the reviews I've looked at so far are pretty good. Any opinions or suggestions on this or other packs. I want something that can handle up to 40lbs and has betweeen 3200 and 3500 cu. in. of space.

Images

Can you try it on before buying? I really, really wanted to like the Exos 58 - I needed a new winter pack, and it looks just about perfect on paper. But the bottom of the external metal frame dug into my hips in a most painful fashion.

I know several people who just love this pack, so I expect it's based on body shape.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

The Exos is not made to handle 40 lbs. 30 lbs will be pushing it. I would look at something much sturdier. Check out Deuter's Aircontact series
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far". Theodore Roosevelt

I used an Exos 58 for two months on the AT and it's a great pack. 40lbs would be pushing it, if that was for a day or two temporarily as your food got eaten...maybe it would be ok.

It is a very lightweight pack so 30-35lbs is ok, any more, not really.

Journal Entries

Why choose external? I've been looking at the Osprey Kestrel 58. I carry 35lbs usually and do section hikes for 5 days at a time or so. This pack seems perfect for me but I'd see if I could rent one from REI or somewhere first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -I'm not a hiker, but I will walk for days for the right campsite!

It is very comfortable and rides great. However mine has about 250 miles on it and I have already had to send it back twice to Osprey for repairs. The mesh just does not hold up. (I have never had to send another pack back for any repairs.) Maybe it's just me.

I love my exos 46. The mesh is rather magic how it encapsulates your hips rather than just pushes on them like foam does. That being said, I have never carried 40 lbs in mine. With just over 30 lbs once it wasn't a problem and my normal 25 or so is fantastic. I'd imagine 40 may be pushing it but I can't comment personally.

I have a love hate feeling about the Exos 58. I love the looks and function of the pack and REALLY wanted it to work out, but I found it to be very uncomfortable. With the small waist strap, all of the weight rides on the shoulders, so anything above 30 pounds is not carried well. The shoulder straps are not well padded either, so I was really sore. Also, there is some bounce to the bag. Like I said, I wanted this bag, but it's just not working out.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Neither the 46 or 58 worked out for my body style. Most painful pack I've ever carried. Sold it to a buddy of mine, who has had a love affair with it until last weekend in Big Bend. He ended up with really bruised hips with it in the upper 30# range. It might have been caused by walking 3 miles in a gravel wash. Anyway, try it before you buy it, and expect performance and comfort to drop off pretty quickly above 30#. I'm really happy with the ULA Circuit and Catalyst that replaced those packs, although I don't carry 40#, and don't plan to.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Why dont you consider the newly designed Atmos 50? Its got some new adjustability. I know its a bit smaller, but if you could squeeze down a bit, it might be a better option. I just ordered one, so I am awaiting its first trial

Images

i had and really liked my exos for 500 miles back in 2008-09. i was on the lightweight spectrum then (under 15 lbs) and have since moved into an even lighter area. i had no need for the frame and subsequent weight anymore. i did enjoy it back then.

curious as to why you are looking at this light pack and thinking about carrying 40lbs. why do you have to carry that much weight?
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Exactly, it is not meant to carry that much weight. I will be using mine with 25lbs with 2L of water and food for up to 5 days

Should find a beefier pack or lighten the rest of your gear.

I have not done a long thru like the AT yet - but have done some shorter thru's like the Loyalsock Trail (PA) and the NPT in Adirondacks. I've used the Exos 58 for all of it and some long weekends, and love it so far. I tried it on before buying to make sure it fit since I was between two of the recommended sizes.

On my initial trips with the pack, fully loaded with 5 days of food, bear sack, and a few liters of water, I was carrying 35 lbs in the Exos 58 with no issues. While my base weight has dropped several pounds since then, and I'm normally carrying more like mid 20lbs (fully loaded) - I will be using it for a thru of the JMT this fall. When we leave the MTR resupply, I expect fully loaded pack to be around 34-35lbs (bear canister, fully loaded with 7-8 days of food, plus 2L of water) - and I'm confident the pack will handle that peak load without any problem. But the pack fits me well. Like most gear, it's probably going to depend on how the pack fits your body ....

I really, really wanted the Exos 58 to be the pack for me, but it wasn't. I really loved the air suspension and taking off my pack and not having a sweaty back. There's also a ton of room inside of the pack and it's easy to carry too much. Above 35lbs and it starts to get uncomfortable primarily due to the narrow shoulder straps that don't have much padding. 25-30 seems to be the sweet spot for max weight. The hip belt on it is bad. Seemed to carry no load and the small buckle will pop open if you tighten it down good. Just got a ULA Circuit and it SMOKES the Exos 58. It's just so much better.

++ New Posts ++