WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default lightweight baselayers needed this year?

Obviously this is a matter of opinion here, so lets not start a war. I'm just wondering if a set of lightweight long johns will really be necessary for hiking in this year on a through hike of the AT. I was previously planning on bringing a lightweight top and bottom to hike in on cold days, then midweights to wear at camp. With this crazy warm winter, I'm thinking of leavin the lightweights at home. I have convertable pants, and a rain jacket that I could put on when its windy. I don't usually find my legs getting cold, and looking at the weather it seems that the lows are only dipping into the 40's with mid 70's during the day. Now I know this could all change, jack frost is a crazy one... but it sure would be nice to lose the weight of an extra set of clothes. Whats your opinion whiteblaze? I'm starting next wed, the 28th. Thanks, g

Quote Originally Posted by rowan View Post
    Obviously this is a matter of opinion here, so lets not start a war. I'm just wondering if a set of lightweight long johns will really be necessary for hiking in this year on a through hike of the AT. I was previously planning on bringing a lightweight top and bottom to hike in on cold days, then midweights to wear at camp. With this crazy warm winter, I'm thinking of leavin the lightweights at home. I have convertable pants, and a rain jacket that I could put on when its windy. I don't usually find my legs getting cold, and looking at the weather it seems that the lows are only dipping into the 40's with mid 70's during the day. Now I know this could all change, jack frost is a crazy one... but it sure would be nice to lose the weight of an extra set of clothes. Whats your opinion whiteblaze? I'm starting next wed, the 28th. Thanks, g
    Well this spring weather is absolutely nuts. Breaking monthly high record second day in a row today. Still, as a general rule I think you should pack your hiking clothes and gear based on the worst weather of the past 30 years, not the last 2 weeks. Still doesn't weight that much, at least for Spring/Summer/Fall.

What is the worst weather that has been encountered, month by month, on a NOBO over the past 30 years?
    Say starting April 1, and finishing September 30th. Not just temperature, but freezing rain, drizzle, wind, snow, etc. ???
    April ?
    May ?
    June ?
    July ?
    Aug ?
    Sep ?

Anyone?

It seems highly unlikely you'll need the mid weights this year, but it would be prudent to bring the light weights. I'd keep them handy until about Erwin.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

As they say "There is no such thing as cold weather, just inadequate clothing". I'd have a set of lightweight baselayers with me. I saw a kid stumble into a shelter on the verge of hypothermia in July one time. Amazing what a little bit of wet and a little bit of cold will do to your body.

If you've dirt bagged your gear down as low as you can go,and this(6oz.)or so is in question.Then I would take them,Reason:your out side each and every day with the occasional town stop,each day and night outside is a lot different than someone going from there house to car ,car to work ,work to store ,store to home and a walk around the block or go for a hike.Storms even in the summer July And August can get you soaked and when a front comes through it can be quite cold and windy.JM2C

Not counting rain shells, wind shells, and shoes, your total clothing weight should be about 3.5 pounds, and cover you fairly evenly when you wear it all at once for the worst case scenario. Pay particular attention to head and neck coverage, and staying reasonably dry including feet, for the worst case scenario. If you are skimping on sleep gear, you should boost your clothing weight.

Garlic
    Images

I didn't carry long bottoms on my AT hike, just long trousers and rain pants until mid-May when I sent the rain pants home. I hiked through two blizzards in the high country in April, too. Heat loss through the legs just hasn't been a factor for me.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++