WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Seeking Ideas For Stoveless Meals

Thinking about taking a pepperoni stick, maybe kielbasa, saltines, pita bread, fruit cans for starters and welcome any ideas.
    ~Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
    Thinking about taking a pepperoni stick, maybe kielbasa, saltines, pita bread, fruit cans for starters and welcome any ideas.
    ~Dave
    I hear cheese keeps well. Dry fruit is good, as is any candy that won't melt at expected temperature. Ciabatta bread and bagles, really any dense bread works. Also peanut butter. Maybe granola for breakfast, with a little dried milk. Hmm, I'm getting hungry.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Bagels, cheeses, peanut butter, granola, etc.
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

I wouldn't take canned fruit, but dried fruit would be good.

Hummus mix is really good, and mixes with cold water.
    Couscous will fluff up in cold water too.
    Tuna, chicken, salmon, shrimp, etc. come in pouches.
    Tortillas &/or pitas.
    The denser cold cereals.
    Dry milk, instant breakfast mix, tea bags
    Peanut butter, honey, nutella, jam (keeps quite a while at room temperature - NOT sugar free kind)
    Granola bars, breakfast bars, power bars, etc.
    Fig newtons and other dense cookies

Fresh fruit. Avocados. Olives.

A typical cookless day for us might be:

Breakfast - 3/4 cup old fashioned oats w/ nuts and dried fruit
    Lunch - burrito with peanut butter (or cheddar cheese & summer sausage, weather permitting)
    Snacks - fig newtons, lance crackers, fritos, nuts/dried fruit or more oats/nuts/fruit mixture
    Dinner - Ramon or Loaded Baked mashed potatoes (sometimes in a burrito shell) or couscous (this you need to soak for about 15 minutes) or stuffing and cookies

Hmm, stoveless doesn't sound so bad! I will look for all of these as well as dried fruit. Thank you.

~Dave

I like to go stoveless as well, lots of good ideas, look at tortillas-flat bread, peanut butter, m&ms with anything (gorp), I like balance bars, but others grow tired of them quickly, lots of ideas, shop around at a large grocery store to get an idea. But not cleaning and carrying a pot, stove and fuel has saved me a lot of weight and time in cleaning.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix7 View Post
    ~Dave
    Talk to Garlic, he's been stoveless for yrs. and he is a great guy! More than willing to help.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Garlic
    Images

It's all been covered above already. Mashed potatoes and Ramen are the things normally cooked that work OK cold. Just take more of what you eat for lunch and snacks. It helps if you forget the idea of set mealtimes. Just eat when you're not hiking. My hiking improved since I first tried stoveless on the PCT in '04. I have not carried a stove since. It's not so much the weight because you do carry a little more water weight in food, but it's all about ease and simplicity and not messing around transporting and buying fuel in towns, and, of course, spending more time hiking. It's pretty easy to try bouncing your cook kit up the trail for a few hundred miles and see for yourself. If it doesn't work for you, you'll have your stove back in a couple of weeks. Here's my AT journal page about it: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213035 and the diet is on the next page.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I'm surprised no one has mentioned nuts. Good protein and fat for a calorie dense food.

My favorite snack/meal bar are Bibe Bars. Google them. They use ingredients found in the Bible. Even if you don't read the Bible, you will probably enjoy this fairly calorie dense all natural treat.

Garlic
    Images

Nuts were mentioned in post #6. It's pretty easy to find cashews and walnuts in most AT trail towns.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

My wife just bought some almonds that are toasted with "CoCo",pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by rocket socks View Post
    My wife just bought some almonds that are toasted with "CoCoa",pretty good.
    Sorry the brand was "Emerald" in a green container.

Journal Entries
    Images

those individual string cheese sticks hold up well for days. but i have been known to eat yogurt 6 months past it's sell by date. good luck. for me, personally, a warm meal at the end of the day makes the hike worthwhile, so i can't go stoveless...but as they say: hike your own hike. have fun! i love pepperoni (pre sliced) with string cheese on tortilla. yum yum. great lunch. super salty, too.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

Quote Originally Posted by Not Sunshine View Post
    those individual string cheese sticks hold up well for days. but i have been known to eat yogurt 6 months past it's sell by date. good luck. for me, personally, a warm meal at the end of the day makes the hike worthwhile, so i can't go stoveless...but as they say: hike your own hike. have fun! i love pepperoni (pre sliced) with string cheese on tortilla. yum yum. great lunch. super salty, too.
    I'll admit a warm meal on a 35 degree night can be nice, but on an August night where you sweat while you sleep? I'll take a big apple cooled in a stream!
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

If you don't mind the extra work at home, cook up some pasta, rice, or lentils, then dehydrate them. On the trail just soak in water until they are rehydrated. Add tuna or chicken from a pouch, celery, packets of mayo, pepperoni, seasoning, or whatever.

Pouched tuna, mayo packets, and begal or pita, great sandwich, spice to your flavor with hot sauce, or wasabi. The MAYO is KEY for calories
    ready to serve garlic bread, a little heavy, but hugh calories.

I might bring a few sardine cans as well.

I Spokes were here he would mention that you can split a block of ramen open like an oyster and spread peanut butter inside to make a sandwich out of it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++