WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Waterproof Paper Review

I spent a little time recently trying to understand which weatherproof paper held up best for outdoor considerations in various environments. Today there are many makers such as National Geographic, iGage, Right in the Rain, Hp, Office Max, and many others. I quickly read through user reviews to determine usability.

The below review caught my eye:

[The product he was reviewing was from iGage.]

“I just got through testing this paper for use creating topo/hiking trail maps with a very inexpensive Canon Pixma IP 2600 inkjet printer. The cartridges used were OEM Canon PG-40 and CL-41 (not refilled). Print results are good and durability outstanding. I didn't have ink absorption problems that were reported by another Canon user whose printer uses different Canon cartridges.

After printing my first test map, I placed it under the faucet and ran water over it then rubbed it dry using a dish towel. It still looked good so I went onto an abrasion test. I scrubbed it with a wet Scotch Brite green. No problem!

At lunch time I started my counter cover test by smearing peanut butter and grape jelly over it when making a sandwich. After washing the map with my dishes in detergent, it was good as new.

Evening time it became my cutting board when I cut meat and vegetables for a stir fry. Washed with the dishes again and the map looks fine.

This mornings test did it in however. Although I was able start the fire in my wood stove with the 8 1/2 by 11 map, I can no longer read it.”

Default Waterproof Paper Review

I've been happy with the iGage for years out scouting for new trail routes in late winter cold rain through briars etc looking constantly at map and GPS.

The comparison between waterproof paper and office paper is also pretty far off as a book printed on office paper wouldn't last ten minutes in the field.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    I spent a little time recently trying to understand which weatherproof paper held up best for outdoor considerations in various environments. Today there are many makers such as National Geographic, iGage, Right in the Rain, Hp, Office Max, and many others. I quickly read through user reviews to determine usability.

The below review caught my eye:

[The product he was reviewing was from iGage.]

“I just got through testing this paper for use creating topo/hiking trail maps with a very inexpensive Canon Pixma IP 2600 inkjet printer. The cartridges used were OEM Canon PG-40 and CL-41 (not refilled). Print results are good and durability outstanding. I didn't have ink absorption problems that were reported by another Canon user whose printer uses different Canon cartridges.

After printing my first test map, I placed it under the faucet and ran water over it then rubbed it dry using a dish towel. It still looked good so I went onto an abrasion test. I scrubbed it with a wet Scotch Brite green. No problem!

At lunch time I started my counter cover test by smearing peanut butter and grape jelly over it when making a sandwich. After washing the map with my dishes in detergent, it was good as new.

Evening time it became my cutting board when I cut meat and vegetables for a stir fry. Washed with the dishes again and the map looks fine.

This mornings test did it in however. Although I was able start the fire in my wood stove with the 8 1/2 by 11 map, I can no longer read it.”

Nice!
    LMAO.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

++ New Posts ++