WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Summer Hats

Images

Default Summer Hats

Any of you guys out there have any recommendations for summer/warm weather hats?

Currently I have a Columbia Titanium brimmed sombrero style hat. It's pretty sweet with a breathable mesh, water proof treatment, and an adjustable headband. The only issue I have with it is that when I am wearing my backpack my rear brim always bumps into it pushing my head forward. I find myself hiking with my neck extended foreword and after a while I get a nasty kink in it.

Anyone have any suggestions for a baseball cap hat that is highly breathable? I'd rather not wear a hat all together but since I cut my hair short my scalp sears in the sun. There is nothing worse than sun poisoning and I had a nasty bout with it due to scalp burn.

Thanks!

Images

Or, maybe there is something I can do with my brimmed hat to make it work out? Seems like its a popular choice so maybe I just don't having it straight.

Images

I've got one similar to this, not the exofficio linked to, but it's partial mesh and has a neck flap which helps keep the neck from getting burnt too. http://www.exofficio.com/products/de...reezr-cape-hat

Images

i like a cotton cap in summer. can dip it in water to cool off.
    or just a bandana if your taking shades.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

Find a military surplus store and get a desert camo hat - wicks the sweat off your head, moves it to the brim edge and drips it off. Plus, it provide a lot of protection from the sun.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Images

I like boonie style hats. You can wad them up for storage, fold the brims, they have a string you can hang the hat around your neck if you want to take it off, you can spray bug repellent on them, they don't hit your pack and if they do they're soft, and they're cheap.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

This is what I have right now.

http://outlet.altrec.com/columbia/me...:referralID=NA

Maybe I can do something so it won't interfere with my backpack? I guess I could possibly wear my pack a little lower on my hips as opposed to up around my true waist.

Registered User Edwardo Rodriguez's Avatar

This year I have http://www.exofficio.com/products/de...sun-bucket-hat . For my part am going with exoficio cloth (bug away) on the JMT and next year for my AT hike. yea I know I can put stuff on it that will last 6 week but on the trail I don't want to be worry about if I spy on the stuff the right way or getting close to the end of the 6 weeks and having to spy it on again. I want to keep life as simply as possible

Working on Forestry Grad schol

http://www.kavu.com/shop/pc/viewPrd....&idproduct=161

hiked the PCT in a pink one off those

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I like boonie style hats. You can wad them up for storage, fold the brims, they have a string you can hang the hat around your neck if you want to take it off, you can spray bug repellent on them, they don't hit your pack and if they do they're soft, and they're cheap.
    Those are nice and I have a favorite I hike with but if they get wet it's a pound or more of dead useless weight.

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    +1 on the boonie. I dip mine in Premethrin at the beginning of the season for ticks and bugs. Sometimes, just for a change, I'll swap it out with a Buff.

Images

i'd just wear a bandana until the leaves fill up the trees (assuming you are hiking the AT since you live in harrisburg). after that you won't be doing a whole lot of sun hiking, unless you're doing the cumberland gap section.
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wags View Post
    i'd just wear a bandana until the leaves fill up the trees (assuming you are hiking the AT since you live in harrisburg). after that you won't be doing a whole lot of sun hiking, unless you're doing the cumberland gap section.
    I'm just going to grab myself a light color bandana . This is probably the cheapest option and will work well for me since I like wearing sunglasses. Thanks!

Tilly. The light, synthetic version. Made in North America.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Agree with Feral Bill, Tilly air flow. A little pricey, but the last time you will ever buy a hat. Looks good too

Quote Originally Posted by jcreamer View Post
    Agree with Feral Bill, Tilly air flow. A little pricey, but the last time you will ever buy a hat. Looks good too
    Actually, I did get another hat. The Tilly Winter Hat
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I have a Solumbra Ultra Sun hat.

http://www.sunprecautions.com/shop/all/hats

Images

So, I was poking around my local Gander Mountain as I usually do and found me a great find. I got myself an Outdoor Research Swift.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/ac...ift-cap-2.html

On first impression, it seems like it'll be a great hiking hat. The top is covered with a modal or nylon type of material that seems soft and breathable while the sides are open with mesh. The fit is nice where it doesn't cover too much of the side of my head where it will allow me to still wear my sun glasses. They have the revel hat that is water proof but it seemed floppy and ill fitting, almost like a painter's cap. The Revel came down really far on the sides of my head interfering with my big old ears. I think this Swift hat will work out just fine!!

Thanks for your help everyone!

Images

If you wear glasses like me a baseball cap works well during drizzle or rain otherwise you'll be wiping all the time., when its sunny a bandanna is plenty. The wide brim hats hit your pack in the back.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Like all other pieces of outdoor equipment, don't get anything made of cotton. Hypothermia can occur @ any temp, & cotton never dries; at least not in the East.

Also, if you get a black hat it will help with bugs. Most won't come under a dark brim, & instead hover near the top outside.....
    Be Prepared

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++