WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: run away hiker

Default run away hiker

Hi there, I really need some help. My little brother packed up and left. Hes on the amtrak on his way to atlanta. Im not sure where he is going from there, all I know is he has a bunch of equipment for this hike. I was able to check his computer and seen he was researching this and buying alot of stuff. He should be in Atlanta in the morning from 7-9am. Hes 19 years old, about 6 feet tall and 170ish pounds. Red/Auburn saggy hair and clean shaven. Probably wearing a button up and a backpack. I will upload some pictures of him. Please contact me if you have seen him. thank you so much

He is 19 and seems to have prepared for a hike, maybe the Appalachian trail. Lots af people are doing the same right now. Any special reason you are concerned?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Yea really. Maybe you're not his brother & are out to find him to do him some harm.....
    Be Prepared

If he left without telling you where he was going, there is probably a very good reason for that. And it probably has a lot more to do with YOU than it does with him. You might want to reflect upon that. I doubt very many people here would discourage him from what he is doing...the people on this forum encourage people to quit their jobs, leave their families and abandon all of their responsiblities in order to go hike for 6 months.

Images

Unless you're concerned about some kind of severe mental/physical problems he might have - he's 19 and it's really none of your business now. And I can say that as a mom of 25 yr old son. Would I like to know if he was going to take off like that? Of course. Does he have to tell me? Nope. Would I worry? Yep. But I still wouldn't have any say, and a sibling has even less say. Sorry.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Images

if it's something serious, call the police. if this is a prank you will ruin the start of him hike.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

He's 19, an adult. If he wants to let you know where he is, he will. Are you allowed to worry about him? Of course. But take comfort in the fact that the AT is a very safe place, and he'll be surrounded by a bunch of like-minded people. But aside from that, when he's ready to be in contact with you, he'll contact you.
    Don't take anything I say seriously... I certainly don't.

The police were noticed before we figured out where he was going. He didn't tell anyone he was leaving, not even his girlfriend. So of course everyone is worried, whether he is prepared or not. Why wouldn't I want to know where my little brother is at? He has no phone and no money. A person who provides shuttles told me to check on here. Please keep an eye out, anyone who is down there.

I can confirm that this is not a prank or anything. I do a few shuttles from Atlanta to Amicalola. The young man in question had been in contact with me about a shuttle, but we had never finalized any details and he had dropped off my radar until his brother emailed me. I don't know any other details, it just sounds like family that wants to know that this guy is ok.

Sounds like his trail name is going to come together nicely....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by touchdowncooper View Post
    and no money.
    Sounds like he'll be well known shortly
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Images

Ummmm.....If he had "no money" how was he buying gear? How did he get from his home to Atlanta? How do you know what was in his pockets/pack? Maybe he was squirreling it away for this day. Maybe he has a bank account that you're not aware of or used his cash to buy VISA cash cards. This still doesn't add up......
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Quote Originally Posted by touchdowncooper View Post
    The police were noticed before we figured out where he was going. He didn't tell anyone he was leaving, not even his girlfriend. So of course everyone is worried, whether he is prepared or not. Why wouldn't I want to know where my little brother is at? He has no phone and no money. A person who provides shuttles told me to check on here. Please keep an eye out, anyone who is down there.
    Maybe if and when you get contact, you and your family and friends could show your love and support by assisting him in his goal to hike the Trail. Most hikers planning a thru are consumed by the upcoming adventure and everyone that knows them will be aware of their upcoming hike, as its the only thing they talk about. Since this seems to be catching you all off guard suggests that he didn't feel supported in his dream.. Supporting his dream could re-establish the trust and communication that seems to be missing.

I'd suggest, if you make contact, be supportive in any way you can to assist in your brother completing his goal.

He is no longer lost. Our father intercepted him at the train station. No one has a problem with what he is doing and will not stop him, its just the way he went about it.

glad you found him coop, hopefully he still gets to the trail.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sounds like a good name for him would be "Supertramp". He HAD to have recently viewed or read "Into the Wild".
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

He is definitely still gonna do it. I told him I'll do it with him if he wants. If not, my dad is gonna get him some funds and a way to keep in contact with us.

Images

If everyone is supportive of his hike it's hard to understand why he went about it this way. Trail name Knucklehead.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Wow! What a brother. "Ok, I hadn't planned for it but I will hike for 5-6 months......2176+ miles with you." Just off the cuff like that....THAT IS AWESOME!!!! If you do it touchdowncooper it will be an adventure you will never forget.

Trail Name
    1) Alcatraz
    2) Runaway
    3) Who needs money?
    4)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++