WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: wetnessss

Images

Default wetnessss

I plan on using a dri ducks jacket for my outer layer in wet conditions. No pack cover. Just a pack liner and dry sacks. However, I have a short Neoair and want to use my pack under my feet while sleeping.

Problem: Pack gets wet, don't want it under my down bag.

Any advice that won't result in me adding weight? I've thought about going with a poncho of sorts to cover the pack too while hiking, but I don't want to add any ounces. Also not really interested in a pack cover. Of course I could always buy a cuben fiber cover or poncho, but I really don't want to spend over $200 on this issue. Grazi.

Quote Originally Posted by rjhouser View Post
    I plan on using a dri ducks jacket for my outer layer in wet conditions. No pack cover. Just a pack liner and dry sacks. However, I have a short Neoair and want to use my pack under my feet while sleeping.

Any advice that won't result in me adding weight? I've thought about going with a poncho of sorts to cover the pack too while hiking, but I don't want to add any ounces. Also not really interested in a pack cover. Of course I could always buy a cuben fiber cover or poncho, but I really don't want to spend over $200 on this issue. Grazi.
    You seem to be weight conscious. Wet gear is heavy gear. I would/do use a pack cover. You can get a cuben pack cover from Zpack for around forty bucks. It weights about the same as your pack liner.

One of the first lessons in survival training is to imitate the natives. They know what works. Same here. Most of the AT folks you see will be using a pack cover. There's a reason.

Put the pack liner over the wet bag!
    Buy the ticket, you take the ride. - Hunter S. Thompson

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Juice View Post
    Put the pack liner over the wet bag!
    this man may be brilliant

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rjhouser View Post

put the foot of your bag inside the liner
    put the pack inside the liner (might damage it on a shelter floor)
    put your driducks jacket between your bag and the pack
    dont use the pack under legs when its wet
    If you have a neoair you likely have a groundsheet to protect it from shelter floor, put that over the pack

seems like lots of possibilities.

pack will still be wet in hard rain,even with cover. Of course, so will you and everything else when humidity is high.

Images

I got some tyvek sleeves to use with my Dri Ducks poncho or silnylon poncho/tarp. I haven't used the sleeves yet though.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the pack liner under your feet. I use a trash compactor bag, no dry sacks. Don't even worry about the wet pack.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

I'm not really an anal person, but I use a pack liner (compactor bag) and a pack cover. I don't want my pack getting soaked, as I don't want to carry the water weight. The liner is just an insurance policy. My down bag is my last line of defense against hypothermia, and I won't take a chance with it getting wet. Also, my pack cover is blaze orange, so double duty there. The weight of the pack cover is much less than the weight of a wet pack pack.

Images

Bob, if you think that's bad, I think I got you beat. I keep my down quilt in its bivy. When it's raining, I put my sleeping gear in my over sized clothing stuff sack. I'll put that in a plastic bag. Over the pack goes my poncho. I might even have an umbrella, although the umbrella is brought primarily for sunny days. So that's up to 5 layers of protection for my quilt, not counting the DWR treatment on the shell of my quilt.

SW and Bob have the ONLY answer here. OR you can carry the extra weight AND have a wet pack problem at camp.

And Bob, thanks for the ORANGE pack cover idea, I had not thought of that.

Images

In warmer weather, I use a poncho. Pack stays very dry durring warmer weather thunder showers.

turn your pack liner bag inside out and put your wet pack inside it, under your feet; in the morning take the pack out, turn the liner bag right side out and put back inside your pack
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by Quiz View Post
    turn your pack liner bag inside out and put your wet pack inside it, under your feet; in the morning take the pack out, turn the liner bag right side out and put back inside your pack
    Who says geniuses couldn't get themselves out of a wet packbag...(liner)Brilliant!

++ New Posts ++