WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Backpacking/Hiking Companion - DC/MD

Experienced, but out-of-shape backpacker, looking to start weekend adventures again. Would like to find a hiking companion. Newbies okay as I have extra gear that could get you started. Older men or women. I'm a 55-year-old woman.

Do an Easter weekend backpacking trip with me? One or two nights. Anywhere in the DC/MD/VA area. I have ideas of trails but open to suggestions.

Memorial Day weekend? 3 or 4 days?

If in shape enough by then, maybe even thru-hike Maryland on the AT, which would be 10 - 14 mile days, depending on whether we do 3 or 4 days.

Surefoot / Becky

Hi Surefoot
    I am an older woman but have been packing regularly so do 15 miles most days, not fast but am persistent. I am working my way north as a section hiker, done with over 800 AT miles. I am wanting to finish VA this spring, and have done most of the north end. If you are up for it, I am wanting to hike April 20-27, and could do SOBO or NOBO Waynesboro to GlasgowI love hiking with 'mature' women or men. Let's see hat we can work out.
    Katie, Painted Lady

Images

Katie,
    Wish I could join you in April but can't get away from my job for a week at that time. Let me know, however, as you make your way into noVA, WV, MD. Maybe I can join you then, especially if I know far enough ahead to schedule vacation. If nothing else, could help with car shuttle or do a little trail magic. Enjoy your hike!
    Becky, Surefoot

Hi: I’m near Swift Run Gap entrance to A/T near Charlottesville. I’m a 50 yr male, my wife can’t hike – we have a one year old now. I can meet-up somewhere in Va. (on weekends) with a little notice. I have some experience and gear, but I’m not an old hand either. Memorial Day is out for me... have plans.
    Thanks

Images

If you'll PM me I'll give you the link to the women-only hiking/backpacking group that I lead, based in Maryland. We have members from Baltimore to PA and down to DC and ages range from 20's - 70's.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Hi, I am a 46 y/o female with backpacking experience. I hike Maryland in '10 and 110 miles of SNP in '11. While I already have a 120 mile PA hike planned with a friend in August, I would like to close the gap from Front Royal to Harpers Ferry sometime this summer (off all summer). I have my own gear and don't mind hiking during the day alone. I would just feel more comfortable knowing there is someone else on the trail in the vicinity who is expecting to meet up with me. Would this be of interest to you?

Surefoot,

I'm a mature hiker (over 55) looking to do some moderate section hiking in VA/MD/PA. It would be nice to gather a group of mature hikers for some outings. I thru-hiked in 2009 and had some great times with hikers from the Woodstock Generation. I have a very flexible schedule. Keep me posted.

Sondance Kid

Images

Modesa, I'd be interested in meeting somewhere for a weekend of hiking in late May or late June. Early June is out. Private msg me and we can come up with a plan. Looking forward to getting out there. Surefoot

Images

Hi, I am a 61 newbie but can do 10 mile days. I hiked Front Royal to Elkwallow Gap last weekend with my son. I would like to do Elkwallow Gap to Skyland this coming weekend, May 11-12. I have Friday off and can use Sun to recuperate I really want to do this but my husband will be mad at me if I go alone since this is new to us. Anybody interested? PM me, please

Since most of you are in the DC area, are you aware of the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club? The PATC maintains 1,000 miles of trails including 240 miles of the AT from Rockfish Gap to Pine Grove Furnace SP. Among other activities, they have group day hikes. Check out their website.

I am 59 and training for a Thru hike next March. I hike the VA/MD/PA sections averaging 10-15 mpd. I'm a member of PATC. Would like some mature company to hike with between May and Feb next year.

Tumbleweed

I am thinking of a hike in SNP area first week in June. No real plans yet, I am pretty flexible. If anyone has plans or is looking for a hiking partner let me know.

HI All,

Newly turned 40 yo here looking for folks to backpack with. I'm low on experience, but am athletic and enthused. I live in Baltimore County and am up for both day-hike opportunities as well as overnights and multi-days.

As an aside, I am thinking about joining an REI led hike through SNP in late August. If anyone has experience or feedback related to REI trips I'd be happy to hear it.

++ New Posts ++