WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Whoa whoa... the wintergreen stuff is for drinking man!

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy
    Excellent tips on first-aid kits. I also include extra safety pins (they can be used as sutures for lack of anything else) and a small tube of Super Glue for small cuts and lanced blisters, it really works good in addition for other repairs as well.

P.S. I have been told that if one is bitten by a snake to kill it for identification purposes for there are different species of each and venom may or may not have been injected but take no chance and seek professional help ASAP.
    Don't mean to contradict but Mr. Snake man says leave it be. I like his idea, why get bit twice. Ever see anybody run like a bat out of hell?
    A story he also mentions is in regards to the tale of standing still. A child in Florida was told by his mother if he ever sees a snake to stand still and he would be safe. he got tagged by a diamond back a whole bunch of times all along, standing still and screaming, thinking he his had to follow his mom's word. Man sakes, can you imagine. I got bit by a garter snake once as a kid and almost had a heart attack!

Quote Originally Posted by U
    ... My "first aid kit" weights exactly 2 ounces, not including water, and I look forward to a natural mishap that would require me to apply my wits.
    Go easy...
    Well, your initial note sure looks heavier than 2 oz. You include some items that are duplicative and improbable, especially if you would discard something as useful as an opiate post major joint trauma.

Do you want to repost your first aid kit?

Images

I include about a dollar worth of change ,quaters,dimws and nickels for a pay phone, or incase I run out of money.
    Big Guy
    and ye shall know the truth
    and the truth shall set you free.
    St. John 8.32
    "Be Safe"

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    Well, your initial note sure looks heavier than 2 oz. You include some items that are duplicative and improbable, especially if you would discard something as useful as an opiate post major joint trauma.

Do you want to repost your first aid kit?
    Nope. Sticking with it, weighed it today cuz I'm freaky that way but I will say that my scale isn't the best you can buy. One of those 5 lb kitchen jobbers that shows 1/2 oz incs, grams, and such. I do round to the nearest ounce best I can and am only so critical.
    Useful and opiate in the same sentence sounds a bit like an oxymoron. I took one, as directed, and found myself sick in the stomach, less witty, and my pain was merely masked. As a matter of fact, at the time I was delirious enough to actually think I was okay, when all of a sudden that real pain thing kicked in and reminded me that drugs for pain is a joke!
    I seriously can't remember the last time I took an aspirin. Doesn't make me righteous just drug free

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy
    I include about a dollar worth of change ,quaters,dimws and nickels for a pay phone, or incase I run out of money.
    I used a phone card and had good luck with it along the way and usually gave most of my change for tips where I could

Registered User Mountain Hippie's Avatar
    Images

One of the things that I have not seen listed is non-latex gloves. It you are in a situation where you have to help someone else and they are bleeding it would be wise to use gloves. Of course I suppose you could throw them some duct tape and keep walking, but usually people are not that cold.
    Plus one of the gloves blown up makes a fair ball for a back-country volleyball game. You can also use one for a cover for a mp3 or some other small instrument. Make a finger cot out of one of the fingers and a little duct tape. I am sure that there are other uses as well.
    "Remember, Only You Can Prevent Forum Fires" - Smokey the Cyberbear

Default Modifying an Adventure Medical Pack

Quote Originally Posted by U
    I got mine from Eastern Mountain Sports (ems.com) It has a bunch of crap I stripped out of it like tweasers, tape, extra bandages, and amonia inhalers. It comes in a bombproof watertight zipbag, and has a cool sil nylon cover with outdoor latch points. The cover offers a bit of extra room for things like the toothbrush and listerine tabs, which if you haven't tried brushing with do try. They rock!
    The kit also has pills, astringents, anti-septics, after bite and a few other items of interest.
    I bought a family sized one years ago. I used up/stripped most of the stuff out of it and as I refilled it I had plenty of room for other general safety and support gear. I do not mind carrying extra weight in this area to be prepared to assist or take care of myself.

Here is the current (and still building) content of mine.

Mole Skin (3 sheets)
    Bandaids (10 various)
    Carmex (one tube)
    Orajel (1 tube)
    Tripple Antibiotic (1 tube)
    Deet (small bottle)
    Toothbrush
    Toothpaste (Travel size)
    Camp Soap (1 oz bottle)
    Dental Floss unwaxed (Doubles as thread)
    Needle
    Safety Pin (3)
    Thermometer
    Gauze Bandages (2)
    Tampax (to control large bleading)
    Ace Bandage (1)
    Duct Tape (small roll)
    Medicine Bottle (10 Advil, 10 Rolaids, 3 Sudafed)
    nylon line (50 ft)
    Water proof matches
    fire starters (3)
    Lighter (1)
    Neoprene Knee Brace (1) I have one weak knee but dont need it all of the time
    Trail Journal
    Pen (2)
    Identification/Driver's license
    credit/ATM cards

As long as there is room I will keep adding small items to the kit bag. It is like being able to take out a cupboard when you set up camp. So many of the little things that you might like to get too are all in one place and you do not have to carry multiple small stuff sacks for the loose stuff.

Forrest

Default good list...

Forrest,
    A few comments. First I wouldn’t carry DEET in the 1st aid kit for fear of contamination plus it melts a lot of plastics. I always carry that in a mesh side pocket. (Some others have mentioned carrying batteries and lighters which I also don't think is a great idea.) When you say Tampax I assume you mean a plain pad with no high-tech additives. I didn't see mention of gloves to protect both you and another person. Non-latex is best. A CPR microshield might be a good addition at 0.8 ounce. Also the gloves and any medications should be replaced on a regular basis as they can go out of date. Wilderness 1st aid knowledge is also a wise thing to have.

I am glad to see that someone else actually carries real 1st aid.

Couple of knuckle/finger tip band-aids.
    anti-biotic ointment
    Pepcid (one for each day)
    ibuprofen (2 for each day)
    1 oz. Iso-alchohol in mini pump spray bottle
    swiss army signature knife
    Small paper fold out showing and describing CPR, how to stop bleeding etc.
    (I don't apply first aid daily, might forget how.)
    Duct tape will probably fix everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Forrest,
    A few comments. First I wouldn’t carry DEET in the 1st aid kit for fear of contamination plus it melts a lot of plastics. I always carry that in a mesh side pocket. (Some others have mentioned carrying batteries and lighters which I also don't think is a great idea.) When you say Tampax I assume you mean a plain pad with no high-tech additives. I didn't see mention of gloves to protect both you and another person. Non-latex is best. A CPR microshield might be a good addition at 0.8 ounce. Also the gloves and any medications should be replaced on a regular basis as they can go out of date. Wilderness 1st aid knowledge is also a wise thing to have.

OF

I am glad to see that someone else actually carries real 1st aid.
    Thanks for the tip on the Deet it is out now. Yes it is a plain sanitary pad and I forgot to mention the gloves as I looked through the kit. Microshield is a good idea.

Forrest

bringing the topic back

I carry Peptp tablets (they are individually sealed in lightweight plastic) good for heartburn, diahrea (sp?) and other ailments

I also recommend instead of alcohol wipes that you get betadine wipes (the brown stuff they use on you before surgery) - this stuff kills EVERYTHING!

Ladies - if you are already carring mini/maxi pads in your pack - skip carrying the gauze pads as a mini/maxi pad will work in a pinch for an injury.

As far as blisters go - everyone has their own way - but I would recommend the Band-aid brand Blister Blocs - they work really really well on heals, bottom of feet (not designed for the toes)

I would also get a roll of vet wrap instead of rolled gauze or an ace bandage. Its stretchy like an ace and is coated so that it sticks to itself (no tape needed) - and it can be used over a gauze pad covering a wound and it is fairly waterproof. Most pet stores carry it. And its very lightweight. Heres' a link for an exampe (first google link I found ) http://gprix.com/WVET.HTM

I edited this to add......I always carry a couple of Benadryl tablets in my day packs - just in case of a nasty reaction to a sting or plant.
    Last edited by CynJ; 09-18-2005 at 23:31.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

My first aid kit: duct tape, dental floss and sewing needle, about 10 aspirin tabs and one small sample pack of neosporin. Never needed anything else. (Never knew anyone who got snakebit either.)

Question

I totally agree with the aspirin...one of the most common injuries for the aging, is heart attack and to be without these would be unbelievable?

I'm a surgeon. I'm getting tired reading all these first aid posts. First of all, we need to separate what you NEED from what you WANT. Injuries can be divided into penetrating (stab/cut) and Blunt (bruise/abraision/fracture). Severe injuries in either category are beyond the ability of any hiker to treat with a "medikit". Really minor stuff doesnt NEED treating either. The only things besides common sense and a knowledge of first aid you NEED are: Duct tape for the penetrating stuff and blisters...bandana and hiking pole or sticks for splint. A cell phone or fellow hiker to call for help in the event of more severe injury is your best option. NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED. Now, you can say you want antibiotic creams, potions, lotions, bandaids, etc,etc, but actually, when a town is no more than a few days away (and closer if you hitch from a road crossing) you dont need anything except what will get you thru a few hours to the road. A bad acute MI is NOT going to get better with an aspirin, and you wouldnt be able to diagnose it yourself if it were mild, or if it were severe(you would be dead on the spot). So use the common sense, the duct tape, and for anything else, get the heck out of the woods to the Doctor or Hospital if its that bad!!!
    Cutman
    GA>ME 2000>2010..... Purist thruhiker in spirit, just with a lotta zeros during townstops;)

Quote Originally Posted by cutman11
    I'm a surgeon. I'm getting tired reading all these first aid posts. First of all, we need to separate what you NEED from what you WANT...
    Welcome to the discussion. I have several feelings about the subject, also, and totally agree with you. Anyone should be able to look at a backpack without a "first aid kit" and know how to improvise everything that would help to get a person to the next road crossing, or how to summon help if the victim truly can't be moved.

About seven years ago I had some moderately bad blisters on my feet. They got torn open. I taped them up and kept hiking, as they weren't bad enough to stop my hike. I didn't have any antibiotic cream though. This was a section hike, and when I returned home, I had some red streaking that I worried might be an infection, so I went to the emergency room. I forget the name of the little bugger that got into the wound, some common skin microorganism. Anyway, a little antibiotic cream would have saved me $300.00.

I'm not running into town every time I need a little neosporin. So I guess I should ask, do you feel that triple antibiotic cream aids healing and prevents infection cutman11?

Thumbs up

I'm a surgeon. I'm getting tired reading all these first aid posts. First of all, we need to separate what you NEED from what you WANT. Injuries can be divided into penetrating (stab/cut) and Blunt (bruise/abraision/fracture). Severe injuries in either category are beyond the ability of any hiker to treat with a "medikit". Really minor stuff doesnt NEED treating either. The only things besides common sense and a knowledge of first aid you NEED are: Duct tape for the penetrating stuff and blisters...bandana and hiking pole or sticks for splint. A cell phone or fellow hiker to call for help in the event of more severe injury is your best option. NOTHING ELSE IS NEEDED. Now, you can say you want antibiotic creams, potions, lotions, bandaids, etc,etc, but actually, when a town is no more than a few days away (and closer if you hitch from a road crossing) you dont need anything except what will get you thru a few hours to the road. A bad acute MI is NOT going to get better with an aspirin, and you wouldnt be able to diagnose it yourself if it were mild, or if it were severe(you would be dead on the spot). So use the common sense, the duct tape, and for anything else, get the heck out of the woods to the Doctor or Hospital if its that bad!!!
    I totally disagree with your above statement....if you are truly a surgeon what do you operate on...******** or feet? Where was your medical training and what is your age?

Number one...I had a mild heart attack on September 25, 2000 on the racquetball court. I had played 10 hours per week for 9 years and it WAS self diagnosed...beyond your comprehension, I believe?

The club I belonged to had no aspirin to provide, which was also beyond believe of my racquetball partner, a cardiologist at Saint Joseph Hospital in Atlanta, GA noted as one of the BEST in the SE.

Awaiting your great followup!

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images

Glad ur not my doc..
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++