WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Exclamation Trail Angel Needed!!

I need a trail angel desperately. My boyfriend, Anthony, is hiking the trail right now with his Rhodesian Ridgeback dog, Rosie. And I get the pleasure of being his support from the home front. Both Anthony and Rosie are really strong hikers; they usually hike about 20 miles a day. However, this past week they had a number of days in a row that were really long and hard, and they hike more like 25-30 miles a day. Rosie got worn out and a little beat up, and she really needs some rest, but Anthony can't afford to take a week off, or even a few days really. The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically, to the point that he is debating giving up his dream of finishing this hike to come home so that Rosie can rest and recover. I really don't want Anthony to have to end his hike at only 800 miles in, and I want Rosie to get the rest she needs. Does anyone know a trail angel, somewhere near mid Shenandoah, who would be willing to take Rosie for a few days, or a week maybe, for a little bit of money. We don't have much, and we certainly don't have the $300 that we already paid to have Rosie boarded for 4 days while he went throught the Smoky Mountains National Park. But we could pay around 50-100 dollars. I know this is a tall order, that is why I need a true angel, who also happens to be a dog lover, and who wants to see this man not have to give up on his dream. I would appreciate any responses, suggestions, people you know, or very affordable pet boarding in the area. Thanks so much.

This is lousy for a whole number of reasons.

He bore the responsibility for the animal and now hiking the animal to death, you want someone else to take care of it, really?
    And because he wants to complete his dream and not take additional time off as well...

I really try not to be negative here, but FAIL.

wow. how selfish.poor dog

Images

Journal Entries

Really. Anyone who has taken their dog out for a extended amount of time knows that it is nearly impossible for a dog to maintain that pace. Even more so for a dog that size. Even if someone does pick him up for a few days are you going to request another angel in another 500-800 miles?

A week off of the trail in not going to help the dog if Anthony doesn't slow down to the dogs capabilities. The solution seems obvious, get the dog off the trail permanently.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

... The strain of having to urge Rosie along, and practically carry her is really exhausting Anthony both mentally and physically,...
    Forget poor Anthony. He is abusing the dog. If he has any feelings for the dog he should get the dog off the trail for the remainder of his hike or end his hike entirely.

I usually support hikers who want to hike with their dogs, but this guy's behavior sickens me.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

PMed............
    By the way, I've done plenty of 35 mile days with my dog. He loves it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I don't mean to sound too negative, but it your boyfriend is really serious about completing his thru hike, he will need to either slow down and let his dog set the pace, or send the dog home. If they're less than half was finished, then a few days off might help the dog out, but as long as he keeps the same pace the problem will just happen again in couple hundred miles.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

+1 on all above comments. A dog owner who really cares about his/her dog will not force the dog to keep hiking when the dog is clearly suffering. Get the dog off the trail permanently.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

turn the dog into fuel, yes that means stopping for a few days to turn it into jerky, then hammer down the rest of the trail.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neighbor dave View Post
    turn the dog into fuel, yes that means stopping for a few days to turn it into jerky, then hammer down the rest of the trail.
    Now play niceIt sounds like the opening poster is brand new whiteblaze and joined just to ask a specific question. You've got to give her some time to get used to the site before we get all snarky.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

You've come to the right place if you're looking for advice or help about the trail. Really good and knowledeable people more than willing to help and who want to promote the use of the trail. But if your looking for help with the obvious selfish abuse of a dog you are definitely looking in the wrong place. As you can see the majority of people here not only don't approve of what your boyfriend is doing they despise it. If you want to make friends and want to fit in with the community do the right thing (which I'm sure you know in your heart) and tell your boyfriend to get the dog off the trail. If you do this and let everyone know you have you will be welcomed with open arms and a lasting friendship will have been made. I hope the best for all of you.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

i'll help take your dog for good give it a propper life where it can live with out fear of owners like this... let me know when you walk into town if he makes it... I personaly dont feel like the trail is for dogs not a thru hike with human intentions

What's the weight? any pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    wow. how selfish.poor dog
    pretty cool website!

Images

somebody should get the dog off the trail. if you do PM me.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    somebody should get the dog off the trail. if you do PM me.
    Kinda hoping this is a BS thread,but ya never know.I think if the OP were to say "hey we lift up big time" and need your help....the response would be a lot different.But "hey we need your help because we don't want to take responsibility for our actions".......that's just F----- sorry.Call the police...better yet SPCA.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Kinda hoping this is a BS thread,but ya never know.I think if the OP were to say "hey we lift up big time" and need your help....the response would be a lot different.But "hey we need your help because we don't want to take responsibility for our actions".......that's just F----- sorry.Call the police...better yet SPCA.
    that should have read EFT up,not lift up......And your a good man Karl.

Betsy, some may wonder why anyone would want to stay with a person who doesn't respect an innocent loving animal.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++