WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default searching for a new light weight tent

I currently have a Sierra Designs Alpha CD tent...I am looking for a light weight 2 person tent. My choices so far are the Mountain Hardwear lightwedge 2 and the NEMO Espri 2. The one thing that i love about the Alpha CD tent is the zippered panel in the ceiling and the zippered panels on the doors. But i also know that to make tents lighter in weight they remove the solid panels and only use the mesh screens. How waterproof and weatherproof are the newer light weight tents?

Journal Entries

How light weight do you wanna go? Whats your price range and use for this tent? backpacking or car camping? My REI Quarter dome t2 was waterproof with the rain fly but left that at home went it was clear nights. It had great ventilation with and without the fly
    Please visit my blog and Let me know what ya Think please!
    >>>>>>>http://hikeul.blogspot.com/
    <<<<<<<

I also have a REI Quarter dome T2 and loved it. Held up to wind and rain very well, but a little on the heavy side. The 2012 version is about a pound lighter, but i have not seen one yet.

My new tent that i got for this year is the lightheart gear duo. So far i really like it, but i have only had it out 2 nights. Had it out two weeks ago up around Roan Mt TN. and got caught in a hail store where the ground turned white and stayed dry as a bone. It pitches with trekking poles and weights in at 32oz for a two person tent. Can't beat that! Check them out at lightheartgear.com.

Images
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by timmy_toes View Post
    How light weight do you wanna go? Whats your price range and use for this tent? backpacking or car camping? My REI Quarter dome t2 was waterproof with the rain fly but left that at home went it was clear nights. It had great ventilation with and without the fly
    I want to keep the weight of the tent to no more than 5 lbs. I know that may be alot of weight for some, but i perfer free standing tents that have no more than 2 main pole sections. And i like tents with a vestibule.

The above mentioned Light Heart tents, but also Tarp Tents at www.tarptents.com . You can also check out Six Moon Designs or Big Agnes. Not knowing whether you want a free standing tent or a simple tarp set up, front entry or side entry makes it difficult to give specific options.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4Bears View Post
    The above mentioned Light Heart tents, but also Tarp Tents at www.tarptents.com . You can also check out Six Moon Designs or Big Agnes. Not knowing whether you want a free standing tent or a simple tarp set up, front entry or side entry makes it difficult to give specific options.
    Front entry...i do not like the tarp set up.

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    Just got a lightheart tent. It's great.

Tarptents are not tarps. Check that link.

Springer to Atkins, VA

Check out the Double Rainbow from HS Tarptent....around 3lbs...easy to set up and take down...handles all weather conditions very well.

I am happy with my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. Section hiked AT with my 11 year old son and AT and Ouchitau Trail by myself with it. While there was room for my son, it was more comfortable when just by myself. Relatively ligtht and easy to put up.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...edhouseSL22012

www.tarptent.com

not tarptents dot com

Journal Entries

2 great ones are the Nemo Obi 2 and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or the Platinum...sell both of those at my store and they're awesome. There's also awesome and super lightweight tents on tarptents.com I used the Squall 2 for 2.5 weeks in the Rockies last year and loved it!

Journal Entries

http://www.litekamper.com/tent_2man.htm

lots of different tents under 2kilos (4.4 pounds)
    Please visit my blog and Let me know what ya Think please!
    >>>>>>>http://hikeul.blogspot.com/
    <<<<<<<

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ParkRat09 View Post
    2 great ones are the Nemo Obi 2 and the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 or the Platinum...sell both of those at my store and they're awesome. There's also awesome and super lightweight tents on tarptents.com I used the Squall 2 for 2.5 weeks in the Rockies last year and loved it!
    I am really leaning towards the NEMO Espri 2 model. I like that it has 2 poles and the optional trekking pole vestibule. And it's light enough for 1 person but has enough room for 2 people when all gear is kept under the vestibule. What kind of review are out for the Espri 2 model?

The "Velocity 1" UL tent from EMS is back in production,it was gone for a year or so.At 2 lbs. 14 oz. and free standing and $259.00 some might find it a workable piece.I think the old weight was around 3lbs.3oz. but not really sure.

Anyone have or seen the cuben fiber tent from lightheart? I just looked at the numbers and could probably shave a pound by getting it. A few questions though, is it freestanding and how many stakes do I need? Also, how worth it is it to have a freestanding tent on the AT? I'm not meaning to threadjack, the OP may have some of these questions as well...

I'm really suprised the MSR Hubba Hubba doesn't get much love. I think it really captures the best of being inexpensive compared to some of the tents being recommended, yet also freestanding and under 3lbs. I think with all the humidity/rain/t-storms and bugs the luxury of having a freestander really can't be stated enough.

I own it and I LOVE it. I also own nemo obi 1, seedhouse 1 and 2, msr hubba hubba, sierra designs lightning 1, and Go Lite shangri-la. The cuben lightheart I like best for long distance backpacking, and the hubba hubba I like the best for short distance hiking/car camping. The lightheart is NOT freestanding, but pitches fast. Uses 6 stakes. make sure to get the wedge vestibules - they are great!
    Quote Originally Posted by kidchill View Post
    Anyone have or seen the cuben fiber tent from lightheart? I just looked at the numbers and could probably shave a pound by getting it. A few questions though, is it freestanding and how many stakes do I need? Also, how worth it is it to have a freestanding tent on the AT? I'm not meaning to threadjack, the OP may have some of these questions as well...

PS - Make sure you get one that breathes. (The lightheart does.) It rains alot on the AT, and thehumidity is almost high (Think mucho condensation.)
    Quote Originally Posted by rather go up View Post
    I own it and I LOVE it. I also own nemo obi 1, seedhouse 1 and 2, msr hubba hubba, sierra designs lightning 1, and Go Lite shangri-la. The cuben lightheart I like best for long distance backpacking, and the hubba hubba I like the best for short distance hiking/car camping. The lightheart is NOT freestanding, but pitches fast. Uses 6 stakes. make sure to get the wedge vestibules - they are great!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++