WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Gear list for 3/28/12 start

This is my gear list for my AT thru. I'll be starting from Amicalola Falls on 3/18/12. I'm pretty sure I've included every last thing that I'll be taking for a base weight of 9.66lbs. With food and no water the pack weighs in around 19lbs maybe slightly under (bathroom scale sucks).

Here's the list

D'oh, forgot to add a gatorade bottle so add another 1.2 oz.

Suggestions/comments?
    "Mountains desire to be conquered"
    Me, unless anyone else has said it?

If you're interested in my hike my website is http://www.thruperspective.com/

Your list is very similar to mine, down to the Goosefeet booties with 25% overfill size large and the doxycyclene, so it must be good. You can take off the poles and shoes because that ain't usually considered base weight. Oh yeah, I'm startin' the 30th.

Glad to hear you have success with similar gear. I've used it all before, but this is my first long distance hike. I'm confident it will be a good system, but only time will tell.

I also didn't include the shoes and poles in the base weight. Just wanted to list everything I'd be taking though.

Images

Nice list - - it might get cold but not cold enough for the booties - - at least not until n.h. - - see what you can do to pare down the first aid kit too - plenty of people thru hike without forceps - - just wrap a little duck tape around your trekking poles or a water bottle

Forceps make a spiffy roach clip.

Thanks for the advice Papa D,

Pertaining to the down booties, I get cold feet and if the temp is expected to be in the mid to low 20s I will need them. Can I be sure that we won't be seeing temps that low anymore?

As for the first aid kit. Yes, I know it's terribly heavy. Alot of the weight comes from being as self sufficient as possible and not resupplying meds at every town. What I mean by that is for example is I carry a 10 day supply of some things such as glucosamine/chondroitin pills, MSM powder, ibuprofen, and daily vitamins. I have bad knees so I like to take y joint supps. Maybe I'll phase them out eventually when I get my trail legs. That alone accounts for 4oz of the weight. Some other items I have a 20 day supply of for example 3x antibiotic, Dr. Bronners soap, and vaseline. That's 2.5oz right there. I also have a round of doxycylyne which is 1oz. I know I can eliminate alot of weight from these items alone but my thinking is that I don't want to be buying bottles of all this stuff and tossing it out for only a little of each. What are your thoughts on this?

I think I probably will toss the forceps now that you mention it. I'm thinking for ticks more than anything. I've had ticks before I couldn't get out otherwise. Suggestions for this?

Ah, I also see I forgot to list the duct tape. I do keep a small roll in the kit. I prefer to keep the duct tape separate in the event that I throw out a water bottle or something.

Nice gear list. Happy trails.

I start a day ahead of you, so happy trails man, maybe I'll see you out there

I'll be moving slow in the beginning. Maybe something like 10mpd till I build up to 15. You doing the approach trail?

Ok, so I lightened my first aid from 14oz to 10.75oz. I'm not willing to go much lighter than that for now. I've swapped the 12oz merino hoody for a 4.75oz long sleeve shirt.

I'm waiting to hear more concerning the rest of the clothing, particularly the merino leggings and down booties which I'm unsure of.

I hike in poly T-shirt and shorts. I carry fleece mittens, balacava, 1/2 zip top and pants. I have a wind/waterproof outer layer, Driduck top, Montbell Dynamo pants, and Zpack Cuben mitten covers. I carry the booties because I hike with a 35 degree WM bag.

Like you said, sounds like we have a very similar clothing system. A 35* bag vs a 28* quilt is marginal difference really and could come down to the specific user. Alot of people on another forum (guess which) are really pushing me to lose the leggings and booties. I'd really love to get rid of them for the weight savings and the space savings, but I'm just not sure of what I can realistically expect from the weather.

The booties 2 1/2 oz, the weight of an extra Snickers. I use mine as a pillow when it ain't real cold. The leggings . . . not sure. It could still get very cold on Mount Rogers. I going to do a good weather check and consider getting rid of them until Vermont at Damascus. If it doesn't look good I will keep my cold weather clothing 'til Pearisburg.

I agree, I'm doing my final packing this morning. I've decided to keep the booties and leggings. I suspect I'll need them. Everyone is else is just getting their panties in a wad since the temps have been so crazy.

Farewell WB I'll post back occasionally from the trail. Anyone interested in my hike can follow from the link in my signature.

Phillip

++ New Posts ++