WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Waterproof boot question

I just got these new boots (Merrills, link below). I was wondering if anyone else has used them. It says that they're really waterproof but it doesn't have a Gore-Tex membrane in the middle. Should I take them back and find a pair that has a specific waterproof membrane? I do sometimes hike in the rain.

http://www.rei.com/product/757555/me...ing-boots-mens

Any input appreciated. Thanks!
    alphapig

Images

take them back and buy a NON waterproof model! Hiking in waterproof boots is the best way to ensure you'll have blisters or worse.
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

If they work, keep em. They wont be waterproof long anyway. Nothing ever is on the trail.
    "Take another road to another place,disappear without a trace..." --Jimmy Buffet

The specs are vague, only mentioning a waterproof laminate. Laminates can breakdown and peel off quite easily, especially on a shoe that gets a lot of abuse. Unless you are constantly in heavy rain or hiking through very wet areas, I would recommend a non-waterproof shoe/boot. They breathe much better and dry out really fast when they do get wet. Also they are typically lighter and sometimes have a bit more flexibility.
    "The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream...." - Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    take them back and buy a NON waterproof model! Hiking in waterproof boots is the best way to ensure you'll have blisters or worse.
    It depends on what he's doing. If he's taking day trips in cold wet conditions the waterproofing can be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by dmperkins74 View Post
    Should I take them back and find a pair that has a specific waterproof membrane? I do sometimes hike in the rain.
    A lot of us have moved away from gortex footware because it doesn't breath very well compared to the super breathable non water resistent trail runners out there. For instance I'm in love with Merrill Moab ventilators, I also watched the gortex version of those shoes turn another thru hikers feet into a rotting mess until he finally bought the breathable version.

Normally you could use snow seal on them or use a sealer like Nickwax (sold at REI) if you expect to hike in snow...otherwise if it is just for Spring, Summer ,Fall hikes I would not bother sealing them as if it rains your boots are going to get wet no matter how much sealing you do. Looks like a good pair of footwear and should last you quite a while.

Waterproof boots? ... Coffee just shot out my nose!!!!!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Moose2001 View Post
    Hiking in waterproof boots is the best way to ensure you'll have blisters or worse.
    That's not been my experience, nor the many people I know who use "waterproof" boots. I use Merrell Phaser Peak, and before that Vasque Superhikers, and have NEVER had a blister.

OP,,, understand that any boot that says waterproof is really just a "limited time offer". On dry hiking trips, I can stomp thru creeks w/ my "waterproof boots" and stay dry. They'll stay dry for a day's rain,, but multiple day rains are another story. My feet never get overly hot in my boots.
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
    That's not been my experience, nor the many people I know who use "waterproof" boots. I use Merrell Phaser Peak, and before that Vasque Superhikers, and have NEVER had a blister.

OP,,, understand that any boot that says waterproof is really just a "limited time offer". On dry hiking trips, I can stomp thru creeks w/ my "waterproof boots" and stay dry. They'll stay dry for a day's rain,, but multiple day rains are another story. My feet never get overly hot in my boots.

I'm mostly a day-hiker... with occasional 2 to 3 day runs mixed in, so that's all I'm looking for. Some replies seem to think I don't expect my boots to get wet. I know they'll get wet... I'm just hoping they can do a reasonable job of keeping my SOCKS and FEET dry. I'd think a layer of gortex (and some gators) would do that. But since I try to avoid hiking in the rain, maybe I'm overthinking this.

Quote Originally Posted by dm perkins 74 View Post
    I'm mostly a day-hiker... with occasional 2 to 3 day runs mixed in, so that's all I'm looking for. Some replies seem to think I don't expect my boots to get wet. I know they'll get wet... I'm just hoping they can do a reasonable job of keeping my SOCKS and FEET dry. I'd think a layer of gortex (and some gators) would do that. But since I try to avoid hiking in the rain, maybe I'm overthinking this.
    I bought a pair of Merrill boots gtx Perimeter all leather last year,there great,comfortable,and yes they keep my feet dry.I'm pretty demanding of my gear and don't mind putting a piece of gear to the test.One night while it was raining I took a walk,I stay on the side of the road about 1 foot away from where it meets the curbing.The water was pooling and in some spots flowing like a tiny but raging river.I walked 1 mile(25 min.)sloshing and plashing the whole way,just like Fred Astaire? or was that Gene Kelly?in "dancing in the rain".The boots were fine and my feet stayed dry.I like them very much.

I have a pair of"waterproof breathable" new balance hiking boots. They might be good for sitting in a tree stand or casual walks but they rapidly lost there ability to shed water on the outside and inevitably lead to wet feet and tender spots when used to long distance hiking.

++ New Posts ++