WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mount Katahdin in Early May

I am from northern NH, near the same latitude as Mt. Katahdin. I simply can't believe that they would delay opening of the park until May this year. It has been over 80 degrees for the past 4 days! I am really looking forward to starting a sobo hike in early May (potentially between the week of May 7). What are the odds of being able to summit Mt. K before May 31 this year (not positive May 31 is the actual date, I have read other things saying the park opens May 15)? Are these May dates just signifying the availability of shelters? I am not interested in using the shelter system, so I am wondering if an early May start date would be feasible.

Thanks!

The Park is open year 'round.
    Overnight camping season begins May 15th.
    You're not interested in camping in Baxter?
    Then, are you planning to climb 10.4 miles up and back down, then hike about ten more miles out to Abol Bridge?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I would like to camp in Baxter, just not in a shelter. Tent is fine for me. Is the May 15 restriction based on shelters alone, or overnight tenting as well?
    If that is prohibited then, yes, I may be willing to do the 20 miler to stay at Abol Bridge, since it opens May 1.

Read the regulations on the BSP website. You cant camp anywhere in the park until May 15th. That means no tent camping, no shelters and no hamocking. The warm spell has melted things out early and recent reports on viewsfromthetop.com indicate that the roads are thawing out early. So the odds are you may be able to camp in in the park on the 15th and climb the mountain. Then again we could have a snowy April and that could screw things up. Getting reservations in May wont be an issue so so what April brings and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Read the regulations on the BSP website. You cant camp anywhere in the park until May 15th. That means no tent camping, no shelters and no hamocking. The warm spell has melted things out early and recent reports on viewsfromthetop.com indicate that the roads are thawing out early. So the odds are you may be able to camp in in the park on the 15th and climb the mountain. Then again we could have a snowy April and that could screw things up. Getting reservations in May wont be an issue so so what April brings and go from there.
    I guess if the nice weather doesn't hold up, or we have a foul April, I'll reconsider my plans. If it is nice enough, I would still like to do it early, or maybe I will just flip-flop it later on. It is comforting to know that the mountain is near the edge of the park, and that it is a doable day hike. Thanks.

AT 2012

i road walked from near the park entry gate to the katahdin stream campground when the park was closed to camping. they did let me get dropped off at the locked gate a couple of miles in from the actual entry kiosk, which helps a lot. from there it is a really easy 5 mile-ish road walk. add 10.4 miles up and down Katahdin and you are at 15 miles or so. When you got back down katahdin you would have three choices: 1: walk the birches trail to camp at Abol bridge, about another 5 miles for a 20 mile day, and then the next day do a circuit of the birches trail and the AT back to Abol bridge, about a 15 mile day (really beautiful, by the way). Choice 2: road walk back to the gate and camp outside the park, or even go back to millinocket, then do the birches trail / AT loop the next day. Choice 3: keep on going south on the AT for another 10 miles to Abol bridge for a total 25 mile day.
    Lazarus

Do not underestimate Katahdin or it might be an eyeopening experience. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by untitleddocument View Post
    I guess if the nice weather doesn't hold up, or we have a foul April, I'll reconsider my plans. If it is nice enough, I would still like to do it early, or maybe I will just flip-flop it later on. It is comforting to know that the mountain is near the edge of the park, and that it is a doable day hike. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++