WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Just how bad are the bugs in Maine in June?

I'm planning to hike from Monson to Gorham this summer, possibly in June. The biting insects are my only deterrent at the moment. Just how bad are they?

Will they be really annoying but tolerable? Will the whole hike be miserable? Or is it more like "All hope abandon, ye who enter here"?

I know that much of this depends on personal tolerance. I plan to sleep in a tent, and I wasn't too bothered by bugs when I did the 100M wilderness last year in July. But I want to enjoy the hike, and to enjoy sitting around outside in the evenings.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

June is still bad. Although spring is ahead by a month. Maybe the bugs will peter out sooner.

Journal Entries
    Images

Tolerable. Toss a 3 dollar headnet in the pack. Remember the wind will keep them down, blackfly are a daytime problem.

I did 10 days in June last year and encountered them in one spot only BUT I ran into several hikers along the way who were chewed up really bad. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. I actually felt sorry for them.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

I would say the bugs are bad, I don't think I've ever experienced waves of buzzing bugs like that. The worst is when you are trying to eat, setup a tent, etc and you have flies buzzing in your nose and ears. However its manageable with deet and a headnet.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Default bad

I have only attempted the wilderness
    In june once years ago, but it was so bad we turned arround after one day.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

There is some variation to how people react to black fly bites (and you will get bitten) with some people swelling up considerably. They also seem to mentally bother some people more than others. If you're either of these two types, I'd suspect that it would be a difficult hike.

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.
    Images

I spent a week in Baxter Park last June. We were devoured by blackflies, deer flies, and mosquitos. I couldn't figure out why it was so easy to get reservations. I did use a headnet and DEET, which helped. There were hours of time where there were HUNDREDS of blackflies on us at any moment. Proof:

dsc_1853-r.jpgdsc_2273.jpg

Images

I hiked the Maine section last year in June. The black flies were so bad I remember running alot trying to avoid them. I could feel their tiny bodies pelting my face as I was running kinda like riding a motorcycle. Carry deet and a bug net for your head. And dont skimp on how much you carry. YOU WILL USE ALOT OF BUG SPRAY. Although as someone already mentioned Spring is early this year. It wasnt much of a mud season as I have seen other years so the black flies may not be as bad. Dont let bugs determine wether you come up to hike or not. Just being out there is worth any torment you may experience from black flies or mosquitos...carry on.
    skinny d

Plan on a tent with bug netting that can be zipped shut, black flies are experts at finding their way in through any opening. Definitely not the time to stay in shelters or use a tarp tent. If we have an early spring the black flies can end early but frequently they just move up in elevation. Sometimes in the whites, they will hang out at the summit and eat unsuspecting dayhikers. Unfortunately the 00 mile wilderness is just about ideal habitat for them and once they go its great mosquito habitat until later in the summer.

About 1 in 10 folks seem to get an allergic reaction to them and swell up, if they are and keep hiking, they can get in very rough shape after a few days.

Images

In 2009 the bugs were bad, wettest June on record when my daughter and son in law thru hiked. In 2010, I hike SOBO starting May 27th and only used Deet twice in (6) weeks from May 28 to J. There were no bugs to speak of spring was 3 weeks early and water levels were way down. It is anybody's guess what the bugs will be like this year although with the lack of run off and early spring temps already it may not be a bad year. Last week nighttime temps here were in the mid fifty's, tonight the forecast is 17 degrees. If I were a betting man, I would bet on the bugs.

Journal Entries
    Images

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by doheir View Post
    There is some variation to how people react to black fly bites (and you will get bitten) with some people swelling up considerably. They also seem to mentally bother some people more than others. If you're either of these two types, I'd suspect that it would be a difficult hike.
    Also depends on the year. It has been awhile since the blackflies were so bad they would drive you out of the woods.

But it does happen.

Good point on the mental aspect. Crawling on the inside of my glasses makes me buggy.

aaaaggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, I love Maine. Just bring a headnet, 100% deet, and a good attitude cuz you'll need it. Have fun squish lotsa black flies.

The bitter truth is that they really are damn blood sucking! Ughhh!

Images

Bug spray/net and transportation to Bangor: Purchased.

Thanks to all for the advice!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by markc7 View Post
    Bug spray/net and transportation to Bangor: Purchased.

Thanks to all for the advice!
    Use caution traveling with bug spray. Regulations. DEET eats plastic.

You can buy it everywhere here. Local grocer already has a 4' endcap display set up.

I would be very surprised if every gas station between BGR and Baxter did not have DEET for sale during bugs.

We hiked Andover to Katahdin in June-July 2007 and found the bugs a minor irritation. We brought head nets but did not use them, and indeed hiked mostly in short pants and shirts. We rarely applied some DEET if they were real bad.

However, we had taken the trouble to soak our clothes, tent, rain gear, etc in permetherin. It worked! We, in shorts and a light shirt were able to stand talking to other hikers in the HMW who were wearing jackets with the hoods on, high gaiters, gloves, you get the picture. They were peeping out of little holes made from tightening up their hoods! And this was in hot weather.

Images

This might be a stupid question, but isn't permetherin very toxic to fish? Is there a problem with fording rivers wearing clothes that are soaking the stuff?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++