WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Day Hike from Amicalola to Springer?

Has anyone done a day hike from Amicalola State Park to Springer out and back in a day? Are there water sources on the approach trail or would we have to haul enough water to last the whole day?

Journal Entries
    Images

You could probably do it in a day if you are in okay shape. You cross at least 1 stream, plus the Len Foote Hike Inn is along the way on a trail that branches off to the east close to the start and the end of the approach trail. From Amicalola, it would be uphill all morning to Springer, then downhill all afternoon back to Amicalola. Start early, you are looking at 14-16 miles.

JB
    I gotta get my head out of the clouds, but that is where my heart is.

Yes, but it is a long hike -- 17.6 miles -- so you should be in decent shape even if just day hiking up and back. There is plenty of water this time of year at Springer so you can hike up and then replenish. As jburgasser said, there are a couple sources on the approach as will as at the the Hike Inn which is on a green blazed trail which you can get to from the blue blazed approach.

Images

Never done it in a day. Its 16+ miles which is doable, especially since you won't be carrying a big pack. Water is plentiful, unless its drought conditions.

The water source is past the summit near the shelter. So don't get to the summit thinking your going to see a sign for water. There are a couple of places going up to get water but if it were me I would continue to the top for my resupply. Going up is a good little climb, if you have good uphill ability then the coming down is easy but a long day as others have stated.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

thanks guys! I will bring some purification tablets and restock at the top.

I've done it before several years ago. You really have to be in good shape to do it. This should help with water questions. http://maps.google.com/maps?q=http:/...Georgia-gm.kmz

You could certainly do this as a day hike, but it would be a full day. I think it's about 8.8 miles each way, so 17.6 miles in total.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Default Day Hike from Amicalola to Springer?

If I was going to do a day hike from the state park to springer and back I would carry my own water and some snacks and roll on.

Quote Originally Posted by lush242000 View Post
    If I was going to do a day hike from the state park to springer and back I would carry my own water and some snacks and roll on.
    That's exactly what I did just this past Feb. 28. I remember the best water as being fairly close i.e. within a mile of the start but I didn't check out the spring on top. For only a day hike, I was willing to carry all the water.

We met 14 prospective thrus.

I've done this last week. You are around my age, should be more than doable. Took me about 3h40min each way. I passed 2 water supply on the way up.

Did this with my wife a couple weeks ago. 3 hours up and 3.5 hours back. The worker at the visitor center counter looked suprised when I told him we we're going to do it in a day. Don't know why. Take a daypack with some water and snacks, start early and you'll be fine. We also stayed at the lodge. Nice place.

On my section hike last year, left Amicalola at noon and was on top of Springer at about 5:00 or 5:30 PM carrying my full backpacking pack with 3-4 days of food. As a dayhike, you can certainly do the return trip as well in a day if you get going in the morning early enough, say by 9 or 10 at the latest, without running out of daylight. Total distance is 17+ miles for the round trip, so a long day but by no means a huge challenge.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

++ New Posts ++