WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Delaware Water Gap parking?

Anyone know of safe parking in DWG? Gonna section hike for a week over Easter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Images

I've used the lot on the PA side, in town where the trail goes back into the woods with no problems. Don't know anything really about the NJ side though.

Images

I took greyhound to the station asbout a mile away from the trail. That worked out real good.

Quote Originally Posted by no-name View Post
    I took greyhound to the station asbout a mile away from the trail. That worked out real good.
    What station is that?

Images

I've left my car for 2-3 days at a time at the visitor's center (exit 1) on the eastbound side of I80 with no problems. Sign in at the ranger station/visitor center to let them know you will be leaving your car and when you expect to return. Don't leave your car overnight on the westbound side.
    Simple is good.

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb Which station?

The bus station in the city DWG that handles both Greyhound (from Philadelphia) and Martz (from NYC) buses.

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisi...o-the-park.htm

http://www.nps.gov/DEWA/planyourvisi...ithin-park.htm

Thanks GB,I had no Idea,I live right off the north east corridor train line in a junction,and could hope a freight to the city (phila or NY)and then catch the dog to DWG hike to that small train station in the middle of nowhere back to the city and back down the mainline.and even walk home from there 1 mile.Thanks now i just gotta save some money for all that traveling ,but it can be done.Cool!

Images

Stroudsburg. The bus leaves the Phila station around 7am and gets to Stroudsburg around 10am. The trail is about 15 minutes walk from the station. It was about $21.00 and saved me from figuring out what to do with my vehicle. From there I just walked to Harrisburg and caught the amtrak back to Philadelphia.

Stroudsburg. The bus leaves the Phila station around 7am and gets to Stroudsburg around 10am. The trail is about 15 minutes walk from the station. It was about $21.00 and saved me from figuring out what to do with my vehicle. From there I just walked to Harrisburg and caught the amtrak back to Philadelphia.

just checked on their site and there doesn't seam to be service directly from phila to dwg, how long ago did u take this route? Im very interested in this since I was planing on startin @dwg for an extended hike (maybe a month or so) and would rather have a bus take me than rely on getting a ride from one of my unreliable friends. this would be really convenient since i live a stones throw across the river from phila.

Images

I am planning a late spring walk from High Point to DWG. I was thinking about parking at the Interstate lot on the PA side and getting the shuttle from the buisness in DWG town. How does that sound? Also I have picked up on some threads that the camping is very strickly enforced, [GSNP, or Mt. Washington gestapo'ish!?]. And my old legs are comfortable w/12-15 mile days,can I squeeze it in 3 or plan the 4. It looks flat,but........ Thanks.

Images

I took the Greyhound from the station at 10th and Filbert Streets in Philadelphia to the Stroudsburg, PA. station on Tuesday March 6, 2012. The Greyhound site lists two Stroudsburg stations. Use the one that just says Stoudsburg, PA. Not the one that says Stroudsburg P & R PA. Two buses daily, one at 7AM and another at 4PM.

I took the Greyhound from the station at 10th and Filbert Streets in Philadelphia to the Stroudsburg, PA. station on Tuesday March 6, 2012. The Greyhound site lists two Stroudsburg stations. Use the one that just says Stoudsburg, PA. Not the one that says Stroudsburg P & R PA. Two buses daily, one at 7AM and another at 4PM.

sweet thanks no-name

Journal Entries
    Images

Post More specific information

On riding Greyhound between Philadelphia and the city of Delaware Water Gap.

For some TRULY bizarre reason, Greyhound lists their station as in "Stroudsburg" -- but then makes clear that the location for their "Stroudsburg" Station is the Martz Bus Terminal in DWG!
    https://www.greyhound.com/en/locatio....aspx?state=pa

Almost equally bizarre, Martz lists this station as "Stroudsburg / Delaware Water Gap"
    http://www.martztrailways.com/locations.asp?state=PA

The only logic I can figure for this is because the bus terminal street address (1802 Foxtown Hill Road) is listed as being in the ZIP code for Stroudsburg -- 18360, instead of the ZIP for DWG, 18327. This is a vagary of the postal service, but the plain and simple fact is that the terminal is far closer to DWG than it is to Stroudsburg.

To get to the terminal from the city of DWG, just walk northwest along Main Street -- which is also Highway 610 -- until it runs into Foxtown Hill Road, and then follow the veer to the left (ie, southwest), as Highway 610 follows this turn. The terminal will almost immediately come into view, on the south side of the road and on the west side of a huge parking lot. If walking from DWG across this lot, the terminal entrance will be on the far side of the building. If you are leaving the terminal and going towards DWG, just walk across the parking lot and then continue along the road into town, towards the river.

The terminal has a ticket office, restrooms, vending machines, several chairs, TV (usually showing CNN), and an ATM. There is no baggage service or lockers, so you'll have to watch your pack. Also in the building is a deli, that I did not check out.

If going to NYC, you buy a ticket for Martz; if to Philly, Greyhound. It is VERY important to note that Greyhound tickets can be bought with CASH ONLY -- something that stunned me.
    There are buses going to NYC at all hours of the day, but only two a day going to Philly. The latter buses only stop for a few minutes, so be ready to board -- and remember that you have to carry your own luggage to the bus -- several minutes before the scheduled arrival.

Service is almost direct to Philly, with only one stop. The bus has a restroom, free onboard wi-fi (you'll need to accept their terms of use), and 120V outlets. It's perfectly fine for a U.S. bus ride.

Any update here? I need to leave a car for 2 weeks while sectioning PA. Can you park at Kittatinny Visitor Center? it looks pretty convenient to the trail and right over the NJ border.

FYI The Martz Station had no WIFI unless the buses were in the lot last September.
    This might have changed since then

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Any update here? I need to leave a car for 2 weeks while sectioning PA. Can you park at Kittatinny Visitor Center? it looks pretty convenient to the trail and right over the NJ border.
    That's a busy place, but might be okay. There is a medium sized lot on the PA side just before the trail starts it's steep accent out of the gap. If I were you, I'd wait a couple of months. Hiking PA right now has to be brutal. Getting water on the northern end of PA is always an issue and has to be really bad now.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Thanks Slo, I was trying to plan for September (arranging shuttles and whatnot).

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Thanks Slo, I was trying to plan for September (arranging shuttles and whatnot).
    Okay, I noticed that on the second post (actually your first, but hadn't gotten to it yet
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

September is great hiking weather here in NJ. Before the fire, it was a popular area b/c you get a great view in short hike. I haven't followed trail openings/conditions since the wildfire but I would assume it remains popular--if you can arrange your schedule to avoid a weekend, you should not have a problem getting a spot on the NJ side. I have parked overnight near the visitor center without issue. I agree with above comments about letting rangers know you are leaving a car.

You could try asking at the Mohican Outdoor Center (if open) if you could park at their location.

++ New Posts ++