WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The ATC and the salaries they pay out

http://dynamodata.fdncenter.org/990_...201012_990.pdf - so you can all check it out for yourselves, it's public record. The question is, do you think these salaries are kind of high or fair?

David Starzell - $106,800 plus $13,168 other compensation
    Stephen Paradis - $95,933 plus $10,877 other compensation

1.9 million dollars in total salaries paid by the ATC for all it's employees.

As an Executive level manager with 1.9 million in total salaries the pay rate is appropriate. What is the total budget?

Journal Entries

their revenues went up sharply so the pay is earned. my beef with them is that they are generally a advocacy group, that does some trail maintanance. Perhaps with their revenues the amount of sore spots on the trail particularly in Vermont and Maine shouldnt exist. i only notice them often from Goose Pond Cabin south. but maybe im just missing some of the work that i just didnt notice. it woud be interesting to see a map ofthe past 5 years work and the total dollars spent at each trail project.
    YOUTUBE: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMDkRcGP1yP20SOD-oiSGcQ
    Instagram: DIGGER_PCT_2016
    twitter: @takethisbread
    AT 2x, LT, JMT, CT, Camino, Ireland Coast to Coast, HWT, WT, NET, NST, PCT

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Salaries are actually low.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Yeah, those salaries are low for the required experience and job duties. Given what the CEO of an average nonprofit in the DC area makes, this is peanuts.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

It's funny how these threads that involve money get a lot of attention on this site. I can see where this is going

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Yeah, those salaries are low for the required experience and job duties. Given what the CEO of an average nonprofit in the DC area makes, this is peanuts.
    I absolutely agree. A person with the skill and background required to run an organization like the ATC could pull in substantially more than $106k if they got a job in the private sector.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

This might be a little of track (drift) but do ridgerunners work for ATC? I tried running a search on the site but got nothing. If so, how much do they make and what all does it entail? I've never met one, but it's been a long time since I've spent any real lenght of time on the AT.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    This might be a little of track (drift) but do ridgerunners work for ATC? I tried running a search on the site but got nothing. If so, how much do they make and what all does it entail? I've never met one, but it's been a long time since I've spent any real lenght of time on the AT.
    Not sure but I think they are paid thru ATC. Not sure how much they make. I know Many Sleeps, he is stationed on Springer and pretty much lives there in a tent from March-April, maybe longer. He provides info on that area.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

As an Executive level manager with 1.9 million in total salaries the pay rate is appropriate. What is the total budget?

It looks like the total budget is about 5 million. By this reasoning, the president of MIT (total budget over 1 billion) should be paid 20 million, and CEOs of major corporations should be paid billions.

They are not in DC, but in Appalachia where houses cost peanuts.

their revenues went up sharply so the pay is earned. my beef with them is that they are generally a advocacy group, that does some trail maintanance. Perhaps with their revenues the amount of sore spots on the trail particularly in Vermont and Maine shouldnt exist. i only notice them often from Goose Pond Cabin south. but maybe im just missing some of the work that i just didnt notice. it woud be interesting to see a map ofthe past 5 years work and the total dollars spent at each trail project.
    Does ATC actually do any trail maintenance? They have crews that do some trail construction, but I think most people even on these crews are volunteers; of course, the tools and supplies are not free. Most trail construction and perhaps all trail maintenance is done by local clubs, primarily by volunteers; the paid construction crews are generally seasonal and work for peanuts (in heat and rain) without any benefits.

I think a lot of them work either for local clubs (e.g. for GMC in VT) or are volunteers.

Thanks Ken and nehiker. I finally found it under Trail Management and Support under What We Do. Seems like an OK job.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Thanks Ken and nehiker. I finally found it under Trail Management and Support under What We Do. Seems like an OK job.
    Did you find the salary for the ridegrunners? Just curious how much that is.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries
    Images

No problem here with the pay. They do a good job.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    http://www.matc.org/Employment.htm probably same in most states.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Nothing about how much the pay, they just give a phone number. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/what...ers-caretakers

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    http://www.matc.org/Employment.htm probably same in most states.
    Thanks for the link KK. 10 on and 4 off, work weekends, not bad. If I was younger and single I'd give it a go.

To the original poster: I suggest you check out the salary/compensation packets of other similar environmental organizations such as the Sierra Club, Audubon Society, Nature Conservancy, etc. You will certainly discover that compared to similar organizations, the salaries/compensation of ATC employees is not only similar to these organizations but in most cases is lower, and in some cases, significantly lower.

don't know how much LP makes but it probably ain't enough!
    she does a great job, & gives back to the trail more than most!
    bob peoples should get a monthly check :-) and many more, good thing the trail has maintaineers.

You have to look at the total management. The ATC has less total managers on a 5 million budget. How many V.P.'s etc does MIT have? The school president has many managers to share the work load. If MIT had only two managers then your theory is valid. Same reasoning applies to the company CEO.

Quote Originally Posted by nehiker:1272091

It looks like the total budget is about 5 million. By this reasoning, the president of MIT (total budget over 1 billion) should be paid 20 million, and CEOs of major corporations should be paid billions.

They are not in DC, but in Appalachia where houses cost peanuts.

Does ATC actually do any trail maintenance? They have crews that do some trail construction, but I think most people even on these crews are volunteers; of course, the tools and supplies are not free. Most trail construction and perhaps all trail maintenance is done by local clubs, primarily by volunteers; the paid construction crews are generally seasonal and work for peanuts (in heat and rain) without any benefits.

I think a lot of them work either for local clubs (e.g. for GMC in VT) or are volunteers.

Quote Originally Posted by CrumbSnatcher View Post
    bob peoples should get a monthly check :-)
    He does, from the Veterans Administration. (retired)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++