Ok, this is just a meandering type post. I've gotten a ton of advice in the other two threads (big bad scary bears and ripping my gear down).

Just curious - is it ingrained in the thru-hike (culture? past experiences? not sure what to call it) - that towns and motels and hostels and shuttles are part of it? I planned this entire trip (before coming online and drilling down details) with the (wrong?) assumption that it's me - the trail - those I come across - and the occasional long haul into a town to refill food and then back on the trail out as quickly as possible.

I've yet to read about someone seriously forgoing all of the finer things and planning on being solely on trail (again - with the exception of food resupplies). Am I completely wrong in having this mindset going forward?

I know how to repair gear and rig fixes.
I know how to make due with what I have.
I don't mind going hungry if it's for the bigger goal and I know I'll get food in me at point x in time.

Unless it's going to be something that kills me instantly (lightning, tornado, tsunami) - weather isn't going to get me off the trail.

Thoughts? Tell me I'm an idiot - OR - tell me that it's just a difference on how things get done out there? I def. understand (and love) the HYOH idea, but I figured there'd be a camp of people out there with similar mindsets as mine. Maybe they just don't online and ramble as much.