WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Default Man attacked by mountain lion, saved by bear

I loved this story, and I loved the last two paragraphs:

http://www.paradisepost.com/news/ci_...-saved-by-bear

Old men rule!

I'd get rabies shots.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Wow,that guy is a true badass,hope he doesn't get botulism,or "Cat Scratch Fever"Da Na,Na.

He has the perfect attitude towards the wilds. Unlike all the freakin' wusses out in nature.

More guts than me! Love it!
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Great story, this guy is lucky on so many levels! I can't help but wonder if mama bear protected him knowingly, having recognized him from their previous encounters. Sort of a thank you for playing nice with my baby last time! I prob wouldn't go to the hospital either unless I needed stitches or I got an infection down the road and needed antibiotics.
    Last edited by Alligator; 03-28-2012 at 19:58. Reason: Politics removed.

Journal Entries

Cool Tough guy

He's obviously trying to stay incognito, but this guy is Lone Wolf's brother.
    Don't pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    He has the perfect attitude towards the wilds. Unlike all the freakin' wusses out in nature.
    Ok, I just read the whole story, in my previous post I only skimmed the article and was only responding to the last few sentences -- in my defense, I may have suffered a minor sun stroke on today's bike ride

That's kind of strange, playing patty-cake with a cub, but I still like his care-free attitude concerning an attack by a hungry predator.

Images

I don't believe it.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by john galt View Post
    Ok, I just read the whole story, in my previous post I only skimmed the article and was only responding to the last few sentences -- in my defense, I may have suffered a minor sun stroke on today's bike ride

That's kind of strange, playing patty-cake with a cub, but I still like his care-free attitude concerning an attack by a hungry predator.
    Gee John ,sorry to hear about the sun strokeI don't care so much that he plays with wild animals,but don't understand the cleaning with Hydrogen Peroxide,it's not for deep puncture wounds,I am a firm believer in peroxide,I use it all the time for minor nicks and cuts,even gargled with it,but not on deep wounds with skin hanging off like the article Say's.What I really miss is that "Monkey Blood"True mercurochrome with the glass dabber that you can't get anymore.That stuff would set your hair on end.....good stuff.Drink Lot's and get one of them there parasols beanies.there cool

Images

The article says he's a "naturist." I kinda hope they mean "naturalist." There's a significant difference in those two little letters....
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    The article says he's a "naturist." I kinda hope they mean "naturalist." There's a significant difference in those two little letters....
    Maybe he's both?!

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I don't believe it either.
    And, if it is true, most likely he's been feeding that bear. (why else would it be so friendly to humans)

Not saying he didn't get attacked by a mt lion, just that I don't believe he played patty-cake with a wild bear.
    Anyway, interesting story and I hope I can wrestle mt. lions when I'm that age.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

it is quite unbelievable. That's why I said he's lucky on many levels. Lucky the bear didn't mess him up on the first encounter since common knowledge dictates that getting close to mama and cubs = certain mauling, lucky the big cat didn't instantly go for his throat as they are instinctively inclined, and lucky (if this story is true) to have witnessed two large predators in the wild at the same time/spot.

Bear replaces dog as mans best friend.

Images

news report.....

"thru hiker and pet bear caught,, planning hung food bag raids at night to supplement resupply"
    NOBO section hiker, 1066.4 miles... & counting!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Maybe they meant fabulist.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

The whole story is quite suspect. If true its quite amazing, but I am still suspicious of the story.

And how many wild mushrooms did this nature lover sample before his "encounter"?

OK, I just listened to this story on TV, with an interview with the guy. I'm completely suspicious now, but that's all I can say since it was such a short piece and the guy was only shown for a few seconds, but it was enough to make me feel stupid for believing this story.

I didn't think for one second that the bear was acting out of any altruistic motives, but apparently the victim does and I should have seen that in the article. What can I say, I didn't have my thinking cap on

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++