WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default North Carolina A.T. Plate

A friend of mine in Hot Springs just got a letter telling him it was time to renew his license plate. This wouldn't be a problem, except he's already ordered the new A.T. plates; he doesn't want to go ahead and renew the old ones if the A.T. plates are on their way anytime soon.

So......here's the question: Do any of you know when the A.T. NC plates are expected to come out?

Thanx in advance to any of you North Carolina folks who can shed any light on this.

Oh, and don't suggest we call the Motor Vehicle department. We just did. They were singularly unhelpful about shedding any light on this.....it took awhile to find someone who had HEARD of the A.T. plates, and they had no idea when they were expected to be out.

Section Hiker 500 miles smokymtnsteve's Avatar
    Images
    "I'd rather kill a man than a snake. Not because I love snakes or hate men. It is a question, rather, of proportion." Edward Abbey

I received an e-mail on 3/16/05 in regards to the new AT plates. As of this date the final approval from the NCDMV & N.C. State Highway Patrol were given for the design of the new tag. Per the instructions you should renew as normal and then NCDMV will automatically mail you your new tag with a new sticker on it.
    You will need to sign up for one if you have not. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/trailnews/nc_plate.htl

I received this e-mail from Clark Wright who has been working on this project.
    Office # 252-633-1101 or i[email protected]
    if you need more info.

Hope this helps.
    Happy Trails,
    Chip
    If we look at the path, we do not see the sky. We are earth people on a spiritual journey to the stars. Our quest, our earth walk is to look within, to know who we are, to see that we are connected to all things, that there is no separation, only in the mind.
    - Native American, source unknown

I have an 85 year old mother awaiting her NC AT tags. The above advice from Chip is the same we have gotten.

I you see her peering over her steering wheel near Burlington, head for the ditch!

Livin' life in the drive thru! hikerjohnd's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by orangebug
    I you see her peering over her steering wheel near Burlington, head for the ditch!
    Being from Florida - you learn not to worry about the ones that can see over the wheel... It's the ones who look out between the wheel and the dashboard you have to watch out for!
    So be it.
    --John

Thanks to all for the information!

Angry NCDMV is useless

As mentioned above don't bother trying to get any info from the DMV. The ATC is the only place online that I have been able to get any info from. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/trailnews/nc_plate.html A few weeks ago they posted that there had been production delays. Their latest post from mid-March says we'll get them sometime this spring. I even e-mailed a representative from the DMV asking them what was going on and even they couln't tell me. I have been waiting long enough and I know folks have been waiting much longer than I. Maybe we'll see them soon.
    AT -> '02-?

Default AT License Plate

Does anyone know if there has been a petition started for a Tennesse AT licesne plate?

++ New Posts ++