WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gram cracker View Post
    The focus is on the walking. Not the riding. I'm one of those strange people who enjoys walking on roads. I meet a lot of interesting people along the way.
    Okay, I guess I can see that. Good luck!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

(Ok, last one here...)

Cracker, then the new name with your selected phrase could be:

S.H.I.T. on the Road

Perfect!

Images

im not sure what this hike qualifies for, but i am sure theres a man patch for it.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winds View Post
    (Ok, last one here...)

Cracker, then the new name with your selected phrase could be:

S.H.I.T. on the Road

Perfect!
    Winds,

Maybe I could change my trail name to chicken.

Images

So, let me get this straight. You'll actually be driving, walking and biking about 21,000 miles.
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miami Joe View Post
    So, let me get this straight. You'll actually be driving, walking and biking about 21,000 miles.
    That would be the total of the 3.

Walking: 8 hours a day
    Driving: 30 minutes
    Riding: 1.5 hours.

I should be done in 10 hours each day. Add in a couple hours for rest during the day and I'll only be traveling half days.

All the numbers are conservative.

The biggest question is the effects of the walking. Road miles are a lot easier than trail miles. The route is relatively flat. Plus I'd essentially be slackpacking the whole way. Resupply won't be a problem as I'll have the van to carry things until I get to a town.

I've never had a blister or knee problems. I'll be able to switch shoes each day depending on how my feet feel.

In many ways, it could be easier than the AT.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

walking on roads drops a hammer on your body.

I should be done in 10 hours each day. Add in a couple hours for rest during the day and I'll only be traveling half days.

The biggest question is the effects of the walking. Road miles are a lot easier than trail miles. The route is relatively flat. Plus I'd essentially be slackpacking the whole way. Resupply won't be a problem as I'll have the van to carry things until I get to a town.

I've never had a blister or knee problems. I'll be able to switch shoes each day depending on how my feet feel.

I'm sure you've thought of this - it strikes me that the most critical decision for you is shoes. I'm no foot expert but I just moved to trail runners for hiking which I like. But were I doing your walk, I'd use good quality running/walking/crosstraining shoes. I prefer Rebok although my current Sauconys work well.

I went to the gym and while working out, thought almost the identical above (all of it too).

So two questions for you Gram,

1. Has anyone done specifically what you're planning?
    I know people have crossed this country in almost every way imaginable, but don't know if this has been done?

2. Do you have a tentative planned year yet? 2013, 2014?

Journal Entries

I went to the gym and while working out, thought almost the identical above (all of it too).

So two questions for you Gram,

1. Has anyone done specifically what you're planning?
    I know people have crossed this country in almost every way imaginable, but don't know if this has been done?

2. Do you have a tentative planned year yet? 2013, 2014?
    As far as I could find, nobody has hiked a route that touched all 48 states. I can't find any evidence anyone did it on a bicycle either. I spent 2 years finding the route. Originally, I started looking for a 10 day motorcycle trip. That is quite common except my route is about 1,000 miles shorter than the one most people plan.

The tentative start date would be Jan 1, 2014 unless I realistically think it can be done in 10 months. Then it would be March 1st. It would start in eastern Oklahoma and head SE from there.

If someone wants to copy the idea and do it first, it's fine with me.

I'd be 60 when I start it, but I generally feel like I'm still 18, so I don't see that as a problem. Mentally, I'm a lot stronger.

On shoes: I've found Danner desert combat boots are the best for roadwalking. It sounds strange, but they are more comfortable than anything I've ever worn. I have a mix of other boots and shoes.

Thanks for the info GC. I admire your gumption regarding.
    There are so many complexities to such an endeavor, I don't think anyone's going to try and steal your thunder.
    You certainly can't just walk the expressways. And I can't even imagine on how much this would cost although I am not asking you to reveal that here. Good to hear you feel young as I do wish you success!

Now you're making me look up your goofy boots, ha.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

You make a thru even harder. Having recently started biking to work, 30 miles a day, I can say one thing for sure. Biking is much more dangerous than hiking. I have never come close to being badly injured hiking, but riding those mountain backroads may add much more risk to your trip. HYOH, but this seems a hard way to go.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Journal Entries

Thanks for the info GC. I admire your gumption regarding.
    There are so many complexities to such an endeavor, I don't think anyone's going to try and steal your thunder.
    You certainly can't just walk the expressways. And I can't even imagine on how much this would cost although I am not asking you to reveal that here. Good to hear you feel young as I do wish you success!

Now you're making me look up your goofy boots, ha.
    Here are the goofy Danner boots.

The cost isn't as bad as one would think. I'm planning on selling the house anyway. That costs about $1,400 a month including utilities. So I'd save $14,800 in expenses.

Most boots I buy run about $300. I figure 10 pairs for $3,000. But I'd mix in some cheaper shoes so it wouldn't be quite that high.

Gas, about $1,800.

4 to 6 bicycle tires
    2 to 3 chains
    1 rebuild of the bottom bracket
    I'll bring a spare bicycle in case something bad breaks. I already have those.

Food, an extra $5,000 over what I spend now. That estimate is probably way high, but I'm accounting for a permanent food mood.

A motel a week. $5,000

As it turns out, I break almost exactly even.

The route was the most complex part. It has zero interstate. Some dirt roads with an option for a lot more. It only goes through 2 major cities which I'll likely find a way to bypass before then. I have the option for about 300 miles of the AT starting in West Virginia and going to Maryland. I'd just ride the bike to Maryland on an easy road route which might be a bit longer and hike back to the van on the trail.

Gear is much simpler for a roadwalk with the van for a known destination.

Logistically, I won't have to depend on anyone else for resupply. I should pass through enough towns to resupply well on the way. If I need any gear, overnight through Amazon will work fine.

I'd quit my current job, but that doesn't pay much anyway. I have a military retirement which would leave me with an extra 15,000 after expenses. One year after that, I can get social security.

My big concern is the ability to maintain the miles. But it should be easier to maintain 23 miles on the road than 15 or 16 a day on the AT. The big unknown is what will happen after months of that. If it doesn't work out, I'll slow down and take longer.

A freind of mine proposed hiking the ADT cross country. Sort of the same idea as gram craker is proposing, but without all the back and forth.

I gave it some thought and tried to picture walking across Kansas, in the middle of the summer, with no shade in 100 degree temps on black top, cars and trucks speeding by spewing exhaust fumes in my face (even on low traffic roads, there is traffic) or worse, in heavy rain. After that little thought experiment I said "no frigging way".

What little road walking I have done has convinced me if it isn't a path through the woods and over mountians, I'm not interested. Not that my opinion should influence your decision any, but is something to think about. I might consider a cross country bike trip - but probably not. I much perfer the woods.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Well it's surely different from an A.T. thru-hike.
    As for Danner shoes (or the ice cream), I have no clue?
    However, with the boots you have picked, at least you won't need pants ever.

Maybe these would work too?
    http://www.keds.com/store/SiteContro...atId=cat610201

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    A freind of mine proposed hiking the ADT cross country. Sort of the same idea as gram craker is proposing, but without all the back and forth.

I gave it some thought and tried to picture walking across Kansas, in the middle of the summer, with no shade in 100 degree temps on black top, cars and trucks speeding by spewing exhaust fumes in my face (even on low traffic roads, there is traffic) or worse, in heavy rain. After that little thought experiment I said "no frigging way".

What little road walking I have done has convinced me if it isn't a path through the woods and over mountians, I'm not interested. Not that my opinion should influence your decision any, but is something to think about. I might consider a cross country bike trip - but probably not. I much perfer the woods.
    I looked at the ADT. My big gripe there is there would be a lot of stealth camping. I've read it is not marked well in many places. Utah and Nevada are short on water as Lion King found.

The route I have planned will be up north in the summer. And I only take one step in Kansas. (All I have to do is touch the 48 states.)

After doing almost all my backpacking in Colorado, I'm kind of spoiled on what kind of trails I like. We don't have all the restrictions they have in other places.

The big attraction is seeing the small towns and rural life before they completely disappear. In 10 years, there will hardly be a "Cafe" or "Eat" place left. I love meeting old people. Especially those in their 80's and 90's. I let them talk as long as they want. They have probably told the same stories 100's of times, but it will be the first time they tell them to me.

On Sunday, I'll probably stop in some little white painted church and hear "Amazing Grace" the way it used to be sung. I'm not Christian, but I don't care what path people find to God.

For some reason, people come up to me and talk and tell their stories. I want to hear them all. If it slows me down, that's fine. It seems like I get in a long conversation everytime I go to a small town.

I've met people from the dust bowl days in Oklahoma and Colorado. I met a guy who used to run moonshine on a Harley in Kentucky. I've met old farmers, handimen and had corned beef and cabbage at a church on St. Patrick's day. One guy carried a wooden statue of his father out of the store each morning and sat him on the bench where he used to like to sit. I've been invited to formal Sabbath dinners in Jewish homes even though I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. They never noticed.

Once I brought lunch to a homeless couple on a corner. We sat for hours reading from the Bible. It's not my book, but I loved their faith. The man embarrassed me when he gave half his lunch to another homeless guy that wandered by. I got to talk to both personalities of a schizophrenic in Georgia. That was interesting.

I seldom remember much about bad weather. I can't imagine it will be as bad as the AT.

Images

Two things: 1. Have you thought about getting sponsored for this awesome adventure? Bike companies, shoe companies, etc.. 2. Please wear a helmet!
    Daddy made whiskey and he made it well.
    Cost two dollars and it burned like hell.
    I cut hick'ry just to fire the still,
    Drink down a bottle and be ready to kill.

Two things: 1. Have you thought about getting sponsored for this awesome adventure? Bike companies, shoe companies, etc.. 2. Please wear a helmet!
    3. don't hog the road. so tired of these cross country bikers comin' thru damascus with their arrogant hoggin' ways

Journal Entries

I'm pretty independent, so I may not want to mess with a sponsor.

I always wear a helmet.

I've riden a lot of miles on a bicycle. I leave cars room where it's possible. It's really only about an hour and 20 minutes a day. I won't be many places where it's real busy.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    3. don't hog the road. so tired of these cross country bikers comin' thru damascus with their arrogant hoggin' ways
    Not sure if this is what's going on by you, but road hogging can be necessary to some degree where the roads are really bad. If drivers only give you a few inches of space and there's a pothole you can be in for a world of hurt.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++